smart phone advice

buzzer

Staff member
Reaction score
looks like its time i dragged myself out of the dark ages and got myself a phone that can do more than phone and text.

so i am looking for a smartphone, as i need to able to receive email on my phone.

i suppose if i am going to get a new phone, i will want it to do "stuff", what stuff i am not sure.

so any tips, pointers as to what i should be looking for?
is contract best or buy the phone use pay as you go?

not wanting to spend a fortune, so what would be a good phone/package for a beginner?

cheers all..

How much do you want to spend tight arse? ;)

Acer Liquid Metal i have and San Francisco also both very good
did have a Htc desire also good

you can use it like a pc mate to log into here or anywhere
send emails via hotmail/yahoo/Google etc etc

as for for pas ya go i say and just use your giffgaff sim :)

as less as possible.. ;)

how much do they cost?

i like the l;ook of the other one, might opt for one of them..

how good is a good deal.. lol

I wouldn't bother with long term contract, 30 day rolling always to change tariff or providers. Giffgaff (owned by O2) seems to be a favourite, £10 a month gets you 250minutes, unlimited text and unlimited (subject to fair use) data,

Unlimited Internet with a 10 pound goodybag | giffgaff.com

As for handsets,

San Francisco is supposed to be a very good budget phone and has plenty of support. Around £70 or so unlocked new.

A HTC desire would be much better (fast CPU and higher resolution screen) and around £80 second hand. Easy to unlock, root and flash with a custom ROM. You can try it for 6 months and if you find that you want something better then you can flog it without losing much dosh.

What did you want to use it for aside e-mail ?

The Desire C bears little resemblance to even a basic Desire and even has worse specs then wildfire. 600Mhz CPU is very underpowered for ICS, couple with lack of flash and a low resolution screen.

You are better off going for G300 which has virtually the same specification as original desire but with slight bigger screen however you lose HTC Sense interface, one of the best features of HTC.

The Desire C bears little resemblance to even a basic Desire and even has worse specs then wildfire. 600Mhz CPU is very underpowered for ICS, couple with lack of flash and a low resolution screen.

You are better off going for G300 which has virtually the same specification as original desire but with slight bigger screen however you lose HTC Sense interface, one of the best features of HTC.

yes i know but buzzer is tight arse and wont fork out for a good phone
thats why i said in my early post you get what you pay for ;)

i don't know what phone i want or what i want it to do....

sort of going off the idea now lol....

Nice little phone here Buzzer,
If its anything like the 1st San Francisco then its good for your 1st android ;)

Buy Orange San Francisco II Mobile Phone - Black at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Orange mobile phones, Limited stock Office, PCs and phones, Mobile phones.
his handset must be purchased with £10 airtime plus Free £10 extra credit.
Plus UNLOCK FOR FREE ;)
How to unlock the Orange San Francisco II for free

and Root it ;)
[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete] - ZTE Crescent - Crescent.MoDaCo.com - MoDaCo

or this but i would say go for the 1st one mate ok

ZTE Kis handset (AddictTopUp) Onebox - Pay As You Go- Virgin Mobile

Last edited:
Back