Slow VU+ Solo2

mariner

Inactive User
Reaction score
I bought the box a couple of weeks ago, generally impressed with it though I've had issues setting it up with my motorised dish, I've stuck a 28.2 bouquet on and that'll do me until I've a bit more time.

But when I received it, the official image was obviously loaded. It was practically unusable as button presses were so slow, taking a minute or so to respond if at all.

I flashed it first with Vix but I've settled on Blackhole. I still find it is slow to respond, nowhere near as bad as when flashed with original firmware but as it's supposed to be the quickest box on the market I'm wondering if there is a hardware fault. I've set my EPG to hard drive, haven't installed any add ons.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Or can advise? It's fine when changing channels, but going into menu's etc is intermittently a painful experience.

If you haven't already get a USB stick and use that for your picons and epg data, that should help speed things up as the hdd won't have to spin up every time you change channel / go into the guide. Are you using a permanent time shift plugin? I find these slow receivers down aswell

Can you test on a fixed dish? Do you get the same issues?

EPG data is held in RAM for usage. You can save it on HDD.

I can take it round to a mates and hook it up to his fixed dish, not sure how that would replicate the issues though unless I've missed something which is likely!

jamesyboyjim, I did set the hard drive to not go into standby, do you know how I format a USB drive and set the STB to save the picons and EPG data to it as I'll try that? I can't seem to find the option to format a USB stick in the blackhole menus.

***Edit, I've found the option to format the USB drive.***

Last edited:
There is no practical reason to use a USB stick to house things on a solo2 unless you want to use it for saving crash logs and backup purposes.

For the EPG it's best to save it to a HDD if one is installed as it only saves to and reads from this at boot up and shutdown and during the EPG import, at all other times the EPG is held in live memory.

For picons just place them onto the flash, the solo2 has way more than enough memory to accommodate these and it's by far the fastest medium for the task.

There is no practical reason to use a USB stick to house things on a solo2 unless you want to use it for saving crash logs and backup purposes.

For the EPG it's best to save it to a HDD if one is installed as it only saves to and reads from this at boot up and shutdown and during the EPG import, at all other times the EPG is held in live memory.

For picons just place them onto the flash, the solo2 has way more than enough memory to accommodate these and it's by far the fastest medium for the task.

I stand corrected. Some of us mere mortals are still running dm800's lol :)

I'm feeling the same with the remote control for solo2. A lot slower than my Duo. Can't understand it are you better setting HDD to not standby ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I've sent my solo2 back, waiting for a replacement in the post. When I first received it, the original firmware was unusable it was that slow, wasn't great when I installed VIX or Blackhole (but much better than original).

Back