SkyQ on it's way

As always everything sounds great but how much will it cost the end user and how much 4K content will there be in order to make it worthwhile..
Are sky planning to air all premium channels in 4K? Like a present HD package? And how long will it be before virgin jumps in also..
To be honest I have only watched 4K stuff on Netflix as I have a 4K LG TV and whilst it was good quality it's hard to tell the difference between 4K and good HD..
I really like the idea of 4K but it's taking a long time to come to life.

I would not gauge the so called 4K Netflix ouput compared to a Satellite or even terrestrial encoded channel, you only have to look at the UHD 4K test channel on 28.2° east to see the difference between that and Netflix 4k the Astra bitrate output is 3 times higher than the netflix equivalent.

Also consider the Size of your 4K Screen to see the difference between HD and 4K you either need to sit closer or get a bigger screen

Guide.jpg

Do you have the frequencys for the test channel..
Also how are people seeing it don't you need a 4K box as well as 4K tv?

Most of the Higher end Samsung,Panasonic,LG etc.. that have Built in Satellite tuners can pick up the Free to Air Astra 4K test Channel. you will of course have to manually tune in the frequency as in the case of the Samsung and Panasonic models that pay for the Freesat HD license you need to disable the Freesat tuning and do a manual scan

There are loads of other test channels available:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

I believe last night they had a FTA feed for the El classico Game in 4K UHD:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Quite a few Feeds coming up now in 4K some tennis today, perhaps the asking price of the Vu Solo 4K is not as bad as first thought

Umm food for thought..I have a 4K lg with a built in sat tuner so will give it a try..not bothered with it since new just used my sat box.

Umm food for thought..I have a 4K lg with a built in sat tuner so will give it a try..not bothered with it since new just used my sat box.

Trust me once you see the quality and higher bitrate of the Astra 4K test channel you will wonder why Netflix bother

Have the 4K Astra test channel but just black screen at mo..

Is it really likely that Sly will support 4k for more than a couple of channels? Do they have the bandwidth?

Is it really likely that Sly will support 4k for more than a couple of channels? Do they have the bandwidth?

Not really up to Sky that one as they only lease Transponder space from Astra who own the satellite, As soon as they fleece the customers as per usual we might end up with a few.

Be warned though i expect 4K satellite channels to go exactly the same way as current HD ones have, We will first get one channel on one transponder with exceptional bit rates something to lure the customers in with and once they get hooked fleece them another £25-£35 a month for the privilege and slowly but surely introduce more 4K channels onto same transponder ultimately sacrificing quality with crap content. Bit Rates drop to well below where they should be but hell who gives a crap as long as we keep paying them.

The same happened to HD when it first started Great picture with excellent bit rates then once suckered in and paying for it reduce bit rate and bang more pointless channels on there.

I know one thing you will never see 4K UHD Picture quality on any of Sky's channels you may at first when it starts but the honeymoon period does not last long.

If you want to see what 4K can really look like the stick to disc based format such as the forthcoming 4K UHD Blu Ray standard, Pretty much the same as now 1080p Blu Ray white washes the crap murdoch spits out on his platform

Well said digi247. That's exactly how Sly operate. They have one simple business objective which is to make as much money as they can. It's profit they want not quality service to punters.
E2R

Sky have announced that they will be showing F1 in UHD from 2017 via sky Q. i expect there will be some football by then aswell but the huge cost of sky Q means most wont get it. God i hope somebody can crack those boxes soon ! I thought we would have hd sharing back by now

doubt it will ever come back & will be surprised if cs is still running this time next year maybe even sooner
time to move on springs to mind

Back