Sky Broadband Issue

Fyobl

Inactive User
Reaction score
Alright guys,

Right the thing is im paying for this 10MB internet speed but only getting around 1.5MB witch im not happy with... I have asked them what they can do loads of times and they just say its my area... Well that's bull because about 8 of my neighbours have Sky 10MB Broadband and they are getting about 6-8MB speeds!!!

So i e-mailed them complaining AGAIN and this time they sent back this:

Dear Mr Smith

>
>

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.

>
>

In order for us to establish the cause of your connection issues with your Broadband Box, can you please follow the steps outlined below and supply us with the necessary information in the spaces provided then kindly return our email so that we can assist you further:

How many telephone sockets do you have in your property and out of these how many are in use?
>
>Your Answer?

Is your Broadband Box connected to the master BT telephone socket?

This is usually the first socket at the point in which your telephone line enters your property. If you are still in doubt please call BT to check which is the master socket .

Your Answer?

In order to connect your Broadband Box to your telephone socket are you using only the cables we supplied or have you added different cables or telephone extensions? The preferred set up is shown below.

The microfilter should be the first piece of equipment plugged into the master socket.
The grey cable we supplied should then be connected into the ADSL/Modem side of the microfilter with the other end into the back of the Broadband Box.
All other telephony equipment should be plugged into the phone side of the microfilter, an adapter can be used here if necessary.

>

Your Answer?

Can you make us aware if you have a pre-filtered faceplate as shown below?

>

Your Answer?

If you do not have a pre-filtered faceplate have you placed a microfilter on all of your telephone sockets which are in use?

Your Answer?

Can you please let us know which lights are displayed on your Broadband Box and what colour they are? (Delete as appropriate)

Router colour: Black / White
>Power Light: Green / Flashing Green
>Test Light: Amber / Flashing Amber / Off
>Wireless Light: Green / Flashing Green
>Internet Light: Green / Flashing Green / Amber
>LAN status: On / Off

>
>
>

>

The image below shows a typical Master socket. If you have one of these can you please unscrew the two screws on the socket and remove the lower half of the faceplate to reveal the test socket behind. Please switch and use the test socket to see if your issue is resolved.

>

What was the result?

If your issue is a slow or intermittent connection and you are connecting wirelessly, have you tried the yellow Ethernet cable to see if the issue is the same?

What was the result?

If you are finding that your connection is running slow and not achieving the speed you should be receiving then please click on the link below for a list of common causes and solutions to resolving these issues.

Sky Broadband | Slow connection

For further assistance, you can visit our help centre online at Sky Help Centre

>
>

Kind regards

David

Sky Help Centre

Sky.com - your home for the latest news, sport and entertainment

So i replyed and i dont think its nothing to do with the wiring and i have checked everything what do you guys think? any suggestions? Im using OpenDNS to try and speed things up a little but not much really.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks

sky Broadband is shit the most you get 4.5 meg its f*cking shit

Must admit, I have heard bad things about Sky Broadband. I know they aren't one of the best companies to deal with from being a Sky TV customer.

Are you running a long extension lead or anything to the modem? A poor extension lead will have a similar effect. If you feel like changing, I've just signed up to Orange broadband. Great customer service and no issues. I would avoid the likes of TalkTalk and Primus though like the plague. I tried to sign up to Primus and it took 3 weeks with no communication other than a confirmation email and an email to say they'd setup my direct debit. I called to ask when my broadband would be active, got fobbed off and told to wait another week. Rang back then, they tried to fob me off again and I hit the roof. It was then they told me it wasn't even available in my area. FFS!

Must admit, I have heard bad things about Sky Broadband. I know they aren't one of the best companies to deal with from being a Sky TV customer.

Are you running a long extension lead or anything to the modem? A poor extension lead will have a similar effect. If you feel like changing, I've just signed up to Orange broadband. Great customer service and no issues. I would avoid the likes of TalkTalk and Primus though like the plague. I tried to sign up to Primus and it took 3 weeks with no communication other than a confirmation email and an email to say they'd setup my direct debit. I called to ask when my broadband would be active, got fobbed off and told to wait another week. Rang back then, they tried to fob me off again and I hit the roof. It was then they told me it wasn't even available in my area. FFS!

Thanks for the reply mate,

No i have no long leads at all it all as simple and as short as can be! I would love to move but i would have to pay stupid amounts to get BT lines again due to have Sky lines.

Im on sky broadband and im getting 1.4mbps download speeds. Thats 14mb.
The reason im getting these speeds are because when i first got it installed, they saw that my line was capable of around 17meg, so they put the speed on my line to max speed. This was causing me to be getting real world speeds of around 2mb and not 17mb.
I called them up to reduce my speed, yes reduce it. this improved it. i did this for about 7 days, increasing and decreasing my line speed just seeing what settings work best. The people on the other end couldnt understand why i was getting them to reduce and increase speeds all the time, i just told them not to worry and do what i ask which they were ok with.

I moved over from virgins fibre optic service and i can say that sky is so much better. i dont get dropouts, i get stable speeds and best of all, i dont get capped after 1gig of download.

Im on sky broadband and im getting 1.4mbps download speeds. Thats 14mb.
The reason im getting these speeds are because when i first got it installed, they saw that my line was capable of around 17meg, so they put the speed on my line to max speed. This was causing me to be getting real world speeds of around 2mb and not 17mb.
I called them up to reduce my speed, yes reduce it. this improved it. i did this for about 7 days, increasing and decreasing my line speed just seeing what settings work best. The people on the other end couldnt understand why i was getting them to reduce and increase speeds all the time, i just told them not to worry and do what i ask which they were ok with.

I moved over from virgins fibre optic service and i can say that sky is so much better. i dont get dropouts, i get stable speeds and best of all, i dont get capped after 1gig of download.

Right so would you suggest if its worse ofter what there going to try and do, to phone them and ask them to reduce it?

Also i have just looked into the main phone socket faceplate and the wires look dodgy!

if you open the main phone socket (take the two screws out) you will see a test socket try running it from there as that is a direct feed and is not interfered with if you get a better strength from that then contact your supplier and explain what you have done and they need to send a engineer out to fix the problem as you should be getting the same signal strength from the test and main socket

if you open the main phone socket (take the two screws out) you will see a test socket try running it from there as that is a direct feed and is not interfered with if you get a better strength from that then contact your supplier and explain what you have done and they need to send a engineer out to fix the problem as you should be getting the same signal strength from the test and main socket

The only problem with this is the main socket is the other side of the room to where my Broadband Box is so i cant test it because im connected via Ethernet and the socket is next to the box but and if i was to move the box i dont have a cable long enough to reach the Ethernet socket...

Right well i found a cable long enough and still no difference...

Infrastructure is always a problem. The installers are idiots. Mine was about 3 meters too far so i run the old virgin line into the sky line lol with a bit of help from chaps on this forum. So I got a bt line and a virgin line. The virgin line connects to the bt line in the wall. My microfilter connect to the virgin line. But yeah give them a call and get them to run tests. Get them to drop your line speed to 70percent of what they say your optimum speed is. Monitor it and slowly get them to increase its in little increments.

Infrastructure is always a problem. The installers are idiots. Mine was about 3 meters too far so i run the old virgin line into the sky line lol with a bit of help from chaps on this forum. So I got a bt line and a virgin line. The virgin line connects to the bt line in the wall. My microfilter connect to the virgin line. But yeah give them a call and get them to run tests. Get them to drop your line speed to 70percent of what they say your optimum speed is. Monitor it and slowly get them to increase its in little increments.

Cheers ill give it a go and get back to you on my progress. Thanks for your help!

I don't understand what you are saying. You connected the microfilter to which virgin line ?? The telephone socket ?

From what I understand ADSL can take a couple of days to stabilise as line is constantly being monitored and power adjusted automatically.

Last edited:
Right well after sending my last e mail to sky this is the outcome:

Dear Mr Smith

Thank you for your recent email regarding your slow connection.

From running a speed test on your line I can see that your broadband download speed is quite low indeed. The download speed you are currently at is 1.5MB. When I tried to reconfigure the line I have managed to get your download speed to 19.7MB, this is the maximum you line can handle.

If you are still having issues with the speed of your broadband don't hesitate to email us back and we will look into it further.

Kind Regards,

Paul

Sky Help Centre

1317330468.png

Thats alot better than the 1.3MB i was getting :D Thanks for everyones help/tips/advice

im getting right onto them then, as with BT i could get 40M and sky say i should get 20M no problem (being only 600M of cable from the exchange), but heres my speeds

Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Today 19:25 13152 kbps (1.64MB/s) 778 kbps (97.3kB/s)

It wouldn't surprise me if they try it on with people and set their connections low to save a few bob. This is sly we're talking about!

im getting right onto them then, as with BT i could get 40M and sky say i should get 20M no problem (being only 600M of cable from the exchange), but heres my speeds

Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Today 19:25 13152 kbps (1.64MB/s) 778 kbps (97.3kB/s)

indeed do get onto them! Just tell them you can hear loads of wind sounds on your lines and your not happy with the speed of your internet.

It wouldn't surprise me if they try it on with people and set their connections low to save a few bob. This is sly we're talking about!

yea they do it to pretty much everyone and most people dont have a clue so they get away with it but not with me haha!

i feel for you mate i been there i left sky in the end and they got very bitchy about it ended up phone-in a solicitor in the end there service is shocking

Yea im starting to see how much they suck.....

Back