Should i buy a cat D car?

sirius5e

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all , looking at buying a diesel estate and preferably the Rover 75 Cdti ( Bmw 3 series diesel engine)
Looking at this car H E R E but its a category D ! what do i need to know thats important, thanks for any pointers :Clap:

Category D - Repairable salvage. Minimal damage, probably not structural, but insurer does not want to repair, even though it might be economic to do so. Often stolen and recovered after claim has been paid. Or for unusual models or grey imports where the difficulty of obtaining new parts hinders a quick repair. Does not need VIC inspection to return to road.

my car is actually a cat C

Cat C is repairable but needs a VIC inspection, ( csots about £40 to establish that the vehicle is what it claims to be ( Not a ringer)

Cat D is easily repairable, possibly not needing repair if you can live with dents and scratches such as if it had been stolen and recovered.

If you decide to buy it ask if the cambelt has been changed.This can cost 500 pounds upwards to replace.

just to give you an idea of what damage a cat c,d,b can have have a look here
Copart
some members if thay have made a clame on their car may even find their old car here lol

i think its a lot of money for a cat d with that milage on it . i bought a nissan primera from my brother in law 3 yrs ago and had a crash 2 months ago and it was written off , but the insurence guy asked my to go with him and he showed me a report from hpi that it had been written off before and i lost 60% of the value of the car due to that ,

IMO No. And more no because its a rover, but i wouldnt buy any CAT cars, just because i know the'v been in an accident and i havent seen the repair, and wouldnt feel comftable for that reason.

Also You need to watch the head gaskets on these as well!

Back