setting up streaming video

pinkhelmets

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello ppl
i would like help on how to go about setting up a site that will contain streaming video, like a tv station. What i need is your advices on what problems i am going to hit and what solutions etc.

i realise that the streaming video will use a heck of a high bandwidth over a month period, so does this just mean very high costs? How can you reduce?

i really dont have a clue with this so any advice helpful. As a comparison, if i require a streaming satellite conection for video it will cost £12,000 per month. But really that isnt that bad because basically that is your own satellite broacast tv station:)

But the point is, i do not need the quality or speed, so the internet must be a cheaper alternative?

Thanks
L

your problem as you state is bandwidth

also your adsl upload speed on your line (if doing a live broadcast) .... probably find that you will get a max of 7 pos 8 people that can view without people getting a bad quality pic (this is assuming a 256Kbps u/load otherwise all they will get is very jerky images etc), on top of that if you are using the internet for other things then that 7 or 8 will have to be less
unfortunately i don't think there is another alternative (unless you store the archieved files ... e.g. create a movie file for people to d/load and view from your server but then you might go over your allowed bandwidth)

unless someone knows otherwise

thanks steve, see thats good to start getting some figures to work on. Like maybe i can work on a 7 to 1 ratio. I need one broadband line, one site, one pc and stream for every 7 connections.
This sounds expensive so unless any other advice it may be a £12k a month sat channel, lol. I'd have to get advertising then and rival sky:)

Hi,

if you only need a host for your video/audio streams u might wanna
check Red.Net .

In case you are planning on setting up a server on your own and the host video streams over your broadband connection.....that's gonna be no joy.
Let's say there is more then 5 ppl having a look at your videos the data throughput will drop next to nothing.

To get reasonable results i suggest a leased line, at least 1Mbit, better 2Mbit :) I just contacted a friend of mine for a quotation on a 2Mbit leased line, will post here as soon as i know the price

Here's a few prices for ADSL/SDSL connections in the UK:

[DLMURL="http://www.albion.co.uk/communicate/albion_isp_pricelist.html"]>>Click here <<[/DLMURL]

SDSL with 1 or 2 MBit might just do the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back