Setting up Onkyo AVR?

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I finally setup my Onkyo TX-SR507 but have problems with hdmi switching, I have ps3 connected to "BD/DVD" Sky+HD box to "SAT" but it just doesnt want to switch if I put PS3 on or when turning of it wont default to the Sky box, theres so many config options any guide lines on how to set this up? I might change my hdmi cables to some new 1.4 but its an old AVR so dont know if it will make any difference and should there be a OSD for the AVR itself when using setup or is this on later models?

I had the same problem with my 606,I had to change some caps on the board to get it to work again.

9 times out of 10 this is a HDMI cable (cheap cables) issue, not saying your cheap mate lol

Never had to change caps on the board, but saying that I would back anything that did not work first time!

What you can try on the PS3 is dropping down the resolution to 720 or even lower, also on the Onkyo match the setting down... see if that works... I found a few times that cheap cables just won't cut it with onkyo.

I am not saying buy 1000 quid ones lol... but the thicker brands on ebay even the £5-10 ones are much better, they do a 24AWG one (I think its 24awg) which will be nice and juicy, CSA size can be just as important.

Mick

I had the same problem with my 606,I had to change some caps on the board to get it to work again.

^^ This.

I had the 606 with hdmi switching issues that were caps on the board. There's a video on YouTube about it.

I was responding to the original post, not your fault fella :)

I would hate for him to open it up for nothing!, and its not a 606 its a 507...

We work with these regular and from quite allot of experience, I have found that HDMI cables are nearly always the fault and handshaking issues.

HDMI cables are one of the biggest factors in home cinema, of course it could be the caps and he should not rule them out, but I would honestly try a decent hdmi cable from a friend first before opening up the receiver.

Mick

Thanks for the reply, they are not cheap hdmi cables but not pricey either iirc I got them from ukhdmi but this was back in 2010, the AVR has been sat in the box for almost 3 years and was only connected for the first time this week. I have got some new 1.4 hdmi cables that are from amazon will try them out

Does that amp do auto switching? I know my denon doesn't you have to change it to the input channel ie Sat or dvd etc..

i know on my onkyo amp if i select a different hdmi input i have to use the remote to select hdmi 1 or hdmi? if i can remember,the auto switching i see happens when i am playing a blu ray and audio stream changes it reboots and may change to dtts.
all my cables are monster,surge protection included and yes i have gone overboard but i see the benifits ahead.
each hdmi plugged in has to be enabled so amp knows what is setup
depending on setup as things differ,my setup.
hdmi 1-------amp------vu+duo sat box
hdmi 2-------amp------pioneer blu ray
hdmi 3-------amp------saorview dtt box
spdif---------box-------amp if needed.

scart now removed
vcr --------tv------phono leads red/white ----to amp
sat box----tv------spdif--------------------------to amp
sat box----tv------digital coaxial out-----------to amp

as my amp does 7-1 sound it gets confusing what to put where and best thing to do for latter is to label cables so when removed you know where to put them back again.
remember every port you plug into needs setting up be it hdmi,spdif,digital output etc.
hope that ease the stress

Last edited:
I thought it was only hdmi 1.4 spec that could auto switch in the manner scart does? I'm probably wrong though! Is the amp hdmi 1.4?

The amp is not 1.4 but there some setting for HDMI control HDMI power etc. I think its just find right settings which is the issue. Building floating wall at mo so everything packed away.

Back