Sending exe files with hotmail :(

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ive been trying to send some exe files (executable file) using msn hotmail, but hotmail see's them as being potentially unsafe which they arent, they are clean, heres what hotmail says when trying to attach the files >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The files xxxxxxxxx.exe may be unsafe. Many recipients would not be able to open these attachments. You may want to delete these attachments before sending your message. More Info...>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sooo, I know what exe files are etc, thats not a problem, what iam trying to find out is, is there a way to stop hotmail seeing exe files as being unsafe, maybe by changing a setting or something like that ???

Appreciate some help, cheers lads.

: multi :

easiest way is to rar or zip them

or you could try changing the extension before attaching then tell the recipient to change the extension back afterwards. Works on most files.

Cheers davidh, I already tried that mate, that was actually one of the first things i tried yonks ago, msn still see's the zip or rar as unsafe, thanks anyway matey :)

Majik, how do I change the extension like you suggest, do I just change the name of the file and then send it and then once sent the person just changes it back to what it was called previously ??? that what you mean, or am i just talking shite ?
please advise.

cheers :)

if the other person is on hotmail as well send the file by msn messenger you can send bigger files that hotmail can not handle.

Set your PC to view extensions then just change the .exe to .exx or similar.

Then ask the recipient to change it back to exe.

I'd try changing it first on your pc and back again to make sure it doesn't corrupt the file.

Hotmail now use trend for thier virus scanning and thus even if you zip it trend scans within archives. If this doesn't work then you might try zipping up the zipfile a couple more times so the file is hidden within a zip of a zip of a zip of a zip. But it all derpends how deep they are scanning the file.

ok chaps, i will give all them things a go, cheers :) :drink:

davidh said:
easiest way is to rar or zip them

Many of the scanners, such as with gmail, now pick-up that there is an exe inide the zip, but rar seems ok at the moment.

Changing the extension works though. I just change the .exe to something like .exx as then at least it is only one letter the recipient has to change, they can't make too many mistakes there :) .

you need a binder to change the extention like change the .exe to jpeg

Back