Scratched discs?

Trancemaster

Inactive User
Reaction score
I bought an Elite on release day in advance of Halo 3 coming out later this month and have been getting very little use out of it due to not having many games so have mostly been playing demos and live arcade. I recently borrowed Gears of War from a friend and was playing it fine on Wednesday night, then tried to play it again last night and kept getting a disc read error. I took the disc out to clean it and noticed a circular scratch right around the outside edge!

I've read online about people getting discs scratched when moving their console from vertical to horizontal while switched on, but my console has been sat horizontally in my AV stand ever since I bought it. Rang Microsoft and they said I'll have to send it in for repair and pay £10 to get the disc replaced! They even asked if I could try another game to see if it does the same thing! So now I have to be without a console for 20-25 days, be £10 out of pocket to replace a friends game, AND lose most of my free month of Live!

Anyone else had this problem?

i had the problem ,but i did move the console.
it only takes 1sec and you get the scrath on the outside rim.

learned from that mistake lol.

I would return it to the store and ask them to exchange both the console and the game. Better than waiting for MS to sort it out, and your within your rights to return faulty goods from where they were purchased for a refund or replacement.

Frenchman

When i had a 360 which i swapped for a wii :) i got disc error when the 360 had been on for a while but seemed too right itself after it had been switched off and cooled down :)

just polish the CD with toothpaste. That's right, toothpaste. It works wonders, and you won't spend a fortune buying professional cleaning kits.

Polish the scratches with a cotton swab, rubbing gently the paste-imbued swab over the scratches until they disappear or until you notice that you have removed them as far as possible. Sometimes the paste may cause new scratching, but it will be merely superficial and easily removed. After clearing the scratches, wash the CD in water.

This is a common problem. As the disk spins it is only just above the tray surface. I have seen biscuit crumbs and bits stuck to the underside of the disc cause these scratches. Just gets between the disc and the tray and hey presto !!.

Also even a gentle bump whilst the disc is spinning can "crash" it to the tray for a split second <shivers at the thoughts of old Winchester Hard Drives>

Golden rule = Check the disc surface BEFORE you put it in the drive, the Jammy Dodger you let it resting on is still stuck to it : spook :

Cheers everybody!

I've currently got my Xbox sitting vertically and haven't had another problem yet. I'm probably going to send it back at some point but right now I'm enjoying Rainbow Six Vegas too much and looking forward to Halo 3.

Hi m8
Go onto the xbox 360 site and in the top corner there is something to click on for scratched discs microsoft will replace all discs scratched by your 360 check it out dont let them fob you off saying they dont because they did 2 for me free of charge.

Back