SB5100. Built Jtag, Need an Alternative to Blackcat.

Didn't have anything to lose being as my sb4200e is half dead anyways. Plus my laptop is still under warranty....

Next experiment.......:Chainsaw: ....lol

wanyib,
what chip did you use for your blackcat in the end?
I remebr you saying it was faster than the normal one.
I'm gonna have a go at the new jtag i got all the bits for £10 at maplins and if you tried you could get them for almost nothing,

Just cut up an old paralel cable. How much would you pay for one of those at a bootsale??
I reflashed my sb4200e and still the same.
Bugger i killed it. i was just about to get mac addys for my bro in tw land.
I could see his little face light up on xmas day with his new 10 meg pressy.
If i'm luck i'll have a spare 1500e to play with and maybe a sb4200e before xmas.

Our only hope for sb4200e is 666 gets something out of derengel.
I might send a begging letter to get into the members forum and add to the pressure.
It's waht i pay my licence for!!!!

I used the same one as in the diagram, SN74LS244N If my memory serves me correct, think my cable ran faster as I made it up on a piece of strip board which cut's down on the wires (and thus noise) around the chip.

Well that and the fact that after making the blackcat 7-8 times my soldering skills are now spot on.... lol

When I spoke to a pro about making the chip up for me he told me that when he started he had a lot of problems because the chip was not fast enough. He said there is a SN74HC244N that does excatly the same job only it's faster but there was none in stock when I went.

I can say though that when I made up the Ambit MAX cable I used a max323 instead of a max232 as I was told that it was a better faster chip but I don't have or have ever had a max232 to compare it to and to be honest I can't see it making much difference for the sake of Hyperterminal.

Can't believe the parts cost you a £10! All you needed was a 25way d plug, enclosure and a 10 pin plug. Cost me about £3 and took 5 mins to throw it all together.

The speed it communicates at though is around 300 kb - 500kb (I think it measures in kb??) while the more 'complex' Blackcat that I made up starts at around 4000kb then averages around 1800kb.

If you end up with any spare working SB's let us know and I'll have one or two off you. Especially a SB5100E as I want to have a stab at:Chainsaw: one of those next....lol

Last edited:
Slow but Cheaper. Takes about 10 min to Reflash the Firmware. Who cares, Just let it run and have a tea...

I dont have Ambits, As I dont live in UK. They work with SB5100's, Touchetone Comm modem and some Webstars.

Cable cannot be simpler. You could order the chip and make the complex one, It's just time consuming, for shipping and all. Im quite happy with this one, And only use it for Mac Changes.

Good Luck all, M4 out !

wanyib yeah it cost me a tenner thats maplins for you.
the chip for it from there is about £4 and form an interntsite(rapid electronics) it was 30p so i got three.
And i wanted to make it look nice so i got a metal case for the paralel plug.
Oh yeah i forgot i bought a load of white wire and plugs ,so appart form the paralel plug i got enough to make 5 blackcats!!
I'll probably use an old cable i got somewhere and make a permanent one for testing.
If it's really slow i wont stand for it.
It's all about speed isn't it!! thats why we want to get our surfboards sigmaed up!! isn't it!!
and it's just a hobby to me. I got the real blackcat for tcniso and i am still making sh*t.
No luck with my sb4200i
I did a write all and just the same and max233 cant get in.
If i get the need it's a lift the tsop job,but i'll get someone else to do that.

If it's really slow i wont stand for it.
It's all about speed isn't it!!

Ah you make me laugh, maybe if you had a little less speed and a lot more care you wouldn't have so many dead modems or 200 posts detailing every conquest you go through :), it'a about getting it working that's all.

well guys i just got the cable on the modem, tryed to connect with hyperterm. couldnt connect but i think my settings were wrong, so i plugged it back on the net to download blackcat , and as you see my modem is still working . more details when i got blackcat.

respect!

peace out

g30 the cheap blcakcat is no slower than the real thing as far as i can see.

That still wont stop me killing modems though?? It's the only way i learn anyhting in life???? The hard way!!!!

i thought i had the tut for serial firmware update but couldn't find it so went for the blackcat.

I'll have to find it sooner or later as now i've got the intel chip one working i'm now on the fujitsu one but think i just got to get some life into it to get the max 233 working
I love my home made black cat even though it's my fourth homemade one to date.

I have made an exact copy of the blackcat buffered cable and have seen no difference in performance what so ever over the passive cable.

Must just be something wierd with my 'cheap' version then as it defo runs slower. So did all the others I made.... May be the setting's in the bios for my port....

My 'Complex' cable takes under 15mins with no errors for a full flash while the 'Cheap' one takes 30ish and has errors.

Anyways managed to revive my SB4200E with the dumps, cheers. Trying the Serial guide now but when I press 'Enter' or any other key to stop auto boot nothing happens.......?

4200 with locked firmware.

EDIT: Double Posted so removed.

Last edited:
4200 with locked firmware.

Change the IP settings on your PC network card to:

Turn off all firewalls - if using winxp sp2 - go to firewall, go to advanced - change ICMP settings and check all boxes.

Connect the modem to the network cable, and Max232 cable.

Then open up Hyperterminal and enter the following settings:

Bits Per Second = 38400
Data bits = 8
Parity = None
Stop bits = 1
Flow Control = None

Now power up the modem and press enter in the Hyperterminal window when the modem boots.

Start boot.exe

Press 2 to boot from network.

Goto internet explorer and go to this address

http://192.168.100.1

Go to the modem hack page and flash modem with the hacked firmware you want to use.

:Clap: Congratulations, you've done it! :Clap:

P.S. Don't forget to switch your IP settings back to auto.

Last edited:
M4_007 said:
Here's the whole story :

Ive got a SB5100, That I upgraded the Firmware, using an homemade cable. (Simpliest cable ever, No resistors, Nothing, Just plain connections.)

Here's a Pic of the outside of the box, Showing the Jtag going out and joining my DB25 Connector.

As you can see, It's pretty good looking. Now let's go inside ...

As you can see, I soldered 6 cables direcly on the pins, and used a resistor pin that I cutted, To solder on all the Ground pins and link to port 22-23-24-25 of the DB25 connector (Parallel). I drilled an Hole into the metal and twisted all the cables. All the other connections are on this Schematic :

After that, I downloaded Blackcat off this link on Megaupload, And Used Sigma 1.6 RC4 that you can find attached down there.

Now that User got his Pictures and a Tutorial for the cable, Im asking for help. I am on Videotron, A Canadian ISP, Just like Yahoo High-Speed from Rogers Cable. Videotron uses Dynamic Configuration files, One file for each Mac. So I need to find Mac's out there, And Mac's with Extreme High Speed config So I can clone, Because those are not Metered, Bandwith wise. I dont think I should use Sigma, Ill just Flash using the Original Flash, Because I only need to clone the Mac, Sigma is kind of useless.

So, Any Idea's on how to find Mac adresses ?

And Can somebody get me attached an Hackware Firmware, They are easier, and have a Tab for Max Speed so I can use for testing the Mac's.

Thanks alot !

what is the password for that .rar file?

If it's the Blackcat software your after use the link in my signature, no password needed m8.

Also I have provided a patch for the 5101 modems which you can also get in my signature.

6th ground cable

I am trying to make this cable but i have 1 little question because i can not see quite well on the pictures.

So there are 6 soldered ground cable on the modem the first 5 is clear but 6th is not clear. Where should i solder it, where ever i want?
I have a MAX3516 EUPHW chip there with xx million legs.

PS: Is this cable really safe?

thx kEndE

The 6th grounds to the other 5 pins. Check my signature for a 'Simple Blackcat Cable' m8.

The cable is safe, it's all I ever use.

thx the help but it is still not totally clear

hmm i know that the 6th goes to the other 5 ground pins but where is it came from. I can see only that the 6th cable coming from that ic which has 10 legs. is it does not matter?

On your schematic there is no 6th one. Good to hear that it is safe :)

:) ooooh maybe my english is not enough good but this was not my question. In order that you can understand what i want, i created a nice picture maybe this will be more informative.

That looks to be correct how the blue wires are soldered to the board.... not sure what your getting at here mate, why have you got an arrow pointing to the chip as all you need is the blue wires that are soldered on?

Back