Satellite RIP- Long live streaming!

linslademan

Inactive User
Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread that does not involve having a pop at Phantom or technomate.
How long do you think satellite viewing will last before internet streaming takes over completely?
It seems obvious to me with BT taking ovr from ESPN next year for Premiership and sky now available on other internet formats that satellite viewing is on its way out.
Is it time to get up our ladders out and take our dishes down?

Not if this is a hobby to you and not just a way of viewing channels for free :)

If you like tailor made tv then you may be happy with iptv but I for one will continue with satellite tv reception that is free from control of what you watch.

It is an interesting question

I read recently that internet-linked decoders are a lower risk option to all-in-one (e.g smart) televisions now on the market which uses the argument that was previously used against TVs with built in video players - if one element fails then it all would need replacing

Certainly if you (like me) refuse to pay excessive charges that satellite providers such as S*y demand for sports channels, then you will grab at any source to watch the sport

Also, talking of TM and other proprietary based systems, I suspect that it is getting harder to get patches of a reasonable quality because the market size is shrinking, and softcams are only available for a small number of channels clearing a few decryptions

As for linux based system, patches/softcam equivalents exist , but I suspect that the average user cannot maintain them in the same way as for the TM products alas

Internet streaming is certainly growing, but how long before the broadcasters start clamping down on unofficial feeds, which include most sources on the internet, and then where will we be

As wiz says, for some folks it is a hobby and long may it remain so

I think IPTV is def. a strong new player on the market and the tv manufacturers are ready to implement it. Not only dish reception will get strong competition, but cable and Terrestrial viewing as well. But lets not forget, A lot of people are already watching TV over the internet by means of ADSL.
IPTV will be able to offer a more wide open 'package' as all the others are bound to the country of origin. Maybe IPTV will be able to open the market and give the customer the choice to make an individual package ? Will dish reception go away. I hope not but well, never say never ...

Hi all,

Streaming... how boring... but each to his own I suppose...

Give me satellite any day... and long live our hobby...!!!

Best Wishes,
Zorch

satellite maniacs want to watching foul signal to frequencies with satellite boxes
this hobby never ends!

Satellite viewing is as near as most of us will ever get to what the old time explorers used to get up to - exploring the boundaries of what we can find and sharing it with our friends both on here AND other forums - so give ME (personally) satellite 'choices' every time!
I can however see that for those who require a boring, mundane, staid 'predictable' service and NOT a hobby, then go with IPTV etc!!:littleang

The HVEC (h265) codec/compression was all over the tech news last week claiming same high quality results at around half the bitrate. This will eventually have a huge impact on further uptake of services such as IPTV and net delivery

Each to their own guys
You guys in Britan don't know how lucky you are, with proper broadband everywhere, the best I can get is 7mb's and it's only that at about 4.30am, I know some lucky people over here have access to 20 odd mb's but it's only on certain isp's and for one reason or another I either can't get their connection or choose not to have it as they block some of the things I need my broadband for,
long live Sat tv
Regards
to all
Dlb

I'd hardly say the uk has 'proper broadband everywhere' there are loads of areas that can only get 1 or 2 meg down a phoneline!

iptv could never really take off until the isp's can easily cope with the demand without whinging like they did when iplayer was launched and most peoples internet connections couldnt support a decent bitrate regardless of how efficient the codec is, what about when ultra hd becomes mainstream? who'd want to buffer for a minute everytime you change channel? for now its a step backward imo!

im sure eventually it'll be the way forward but I doubt it'll be anytime soon

No mate, there is NO Phantom - its all Technomate themselves - they are choking off the very hand which feeds them - US!!:drink:

I agree with you Holmroad.
Part of reason that I started thread is that in my liimited knowledge,it seems to me that patch makers/hackers or whatever you like to call them for new breed of satellite receivers are now only interested in developing the streaming side of the hobby, i.e oscam, ccam etc...
I don't think Phantom/Technomate for example gives a toss anymore whether your blind scan is working properly or not otherwise in the past it would have been fixed long ago.

Satellite tv is more an addiction than a hobby, once you start, try stopping. Giving up drink would be easier for most of us.
As for broadband, I can only get less than 1mb, half that on average, and the phone company here has no plans for broadband in our area, in my lifetime. I get mine though a radio link "dish" similar to a BSB Squarial of many years ago. OK for surfing and small downloads, better than dial up, but as for video streaming-forget it.
Anyway, tinkering with dishes, diseqc switches and motors etc is far more hands on and rewarding. I hardly watch any tv anyway.

I agree with you Holmroad.
Part of reason that I started thread is that in my liimited knowledge,it seems to me that patch makers/hackers or whatever you like to call them for new breed of satellite receivers are now only interested in developing the streaming side of the hobby, i.e oscam, ccam etc...
I don't think Phantom/Technomate for example gives a toss anymore whether your blind scan is working properly or not otherwise in the past it would have been fixed long ago.

Just for the record, I was only joking. :s :)

It will be a long time before I can view over broadband too - pigeon-packet is as fast as it gets here!

Until there are ZERO caps or they get rid of Traffic Shaping measures IPTV is a dead duck for most people, Long Live satellite now if only we could get rid of those CS scumbags

Back