router problem

wilson1980

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i got 50meg broadband off virgin and i got the d-link router dir615 with it and was told to install the router cd first cause the guy reckon'd it wouldnt work without it.
so i did and when i get to the bit on the install cd to plug wire into back off pc and router and power router on at the wall. i do this bit and on the cd i click next only to be hit with the message "PC Ethernet cable is not properly connected. Please check the cable connection and make sure the router is powered on" now ive changed the cable with new ones a few times but no luck still gettin this message. theres nothing wrong with pc as i can connect router to modem and then router to pc and get on internet. its only when i try and install this cd and go threw it.it will not let me get passed to do anything else. any ideas what can be causin this message please..

first of all m8, i dunno why he said it wouldn't work without the CD.

I for one never use any of these easy install cd's i always set things up manually just so i know i have total control of the setup.

If you know what ip the router uses log into the router direct and setup your network that way.

just make sure you network connection is enabled and your cable is fitted correctly and working. Check light on router if the Ethernet link shows up and just log into router and configure.

To Login to the router:-

Should be http://192.168.0.1 in address bar of your browser and username and password

If it is still on the default it will be `admin` or whatever VM supplied youi with.

Click on the "Maintenance" button and you should be able to do whatever you want.

If not press reset button for 10 seconds and then try logging in again. Forget the CD as it's known not to work.

Let us know how you get on m8.

Last edited:
cheers for gettin back to is..id set it up the way you guys had said after he left but when he was like ive heard loads off people say u dont need the cd but he was like u do.its not going to work without it lol .so it just made me wonder..i logged on to the router and set it up the way i would normally do it but with gettin that message it just annoyed me lol but cheers guys..cd's gettin snapped in half..

Back