Firmware roaming with multiple wifi access points

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I am about to setup a wifi infrastructure in an office that is 2 floors.

6 wifi access points will cover both floors (3 on each) all configured with VLANS and bandwidth allocation setup. That' s the simple and easy part

now I was thinking, instead of having 12 SSID's broadcasting (2 on each as it will have simultanious 24 Ghz and 5 Ghz) should I stick with a single SSID across all access points, as want to make it as seamless as possible. Obviously will ensure no channel over lapping occur.

How good are Windoze, Apple Android phones in seamless wifi roaming, in another words when the device is moved around the office, will it automatically connect to the access point with the strongest signal.

I don't know if it's quite the same, but I have a range extender relaying from a 4G mi-fi, and my iPhone and Win7 laptop roam from one to the other seamlessly. Might be a different situation since the extender natively repeats the SSID of the original signal, but they are on different channels.

I am using Tomato Shibby version on E3200 - I assume your answer was if I was using the stock firmware.

It was, I assumed you could 'mix-n-match'? I'm not that familiar with Tomato - are you sure it doesn't mesh?

It was, I assumed you could 'mix-n-match'? I'm not that familiar with Tomato - are you sure it doesn't mesh?

WDS is closest to do a mesh network and I prefer not to setup WDS .

Back