Rj11?

CrazyFool

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
had a BT Engineer out recently to install my sky broadband.
unfortunately, he installed my line in the absolute wrong side of the house ffs.
so i'm gonna get some cable going all the way round the back of my house to remedy it so i can have the router exactly where i want it.

just wanted to ask, is RJ11 the cable i need? and is the length of the run something i need to worry about?

I could also do with an ethernet out to where he's installed the line at the wall.

is is at all possible to run a different type of wire and split the strands at the ends so i get an rj11 plug and a cat5 plug coming out of the same wire. a little like POE?

Cheers,
CrazyFool

Do note that it will not work with gigabit networks which use all the 4 pairs, and it will not work with PoE (Power over Ethernet).

I would run two cables personally, however if you are happy with just 10/100 then it will be fine.

Regards
Mick

RJ11 is the name of terminal, not cable.

Difference between telephone and network cables is that network cable is twisted to eliminate interference and usually thicker to transfer data better.

Sex in a thread....

Thanks fellas.
and yeah, I prefer wired as reliability is paramount, i'll be running my cs server through this router you see.
It just so turns out I've got some veeery long cat5 cable knocking about in the attic, just need to hustle some connectors and crimps now :)

lick of paint on the short run outside should protect it from the elements i should think.

Thanks again for the help.
Crazy.

Last edited:
Just use a normal telephone socket so you don't have to worry about crimps/connectors. The adsl filter which has both ports.

Just use a normal telephone socket so you don't have to worry about crimps/connectors. The adsl filter which has both ports.

sorry could you explain this bit again please?
I'm ready to gear up so need to know what to purchase.
My understanding is that I just need to snip the cat5 cable and stick an RJ11 connector on the end, but you're saying I can stick the cable directly into the phone socket thereby relinquishing the need for crimps atleast on that end right?
Dont know if i feel confident enough to mess about with the main phone socket.

and whats this about filters?
dont think I have one. it was pictured in the broadband setup guide but they didn't send me one. that could be the reason why I keep loosing my bloody broadband.

Not sure why you would need to go to all this messing if I'm honest, just get a telephone extension kit. It's actually an offense for anyone other than a BT engineer to tamper with it as BT own everything up to the master socket.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...phones+/+telephones+/+telephone+accessories+/

As far as not having a filter, you should have been provided one with your router...it's needed as it prevents interference.

What do you need the ethernet connection for, and where is it being terminated?

Last edited:
The telephone provider does own up to the master socket. But the master socket is in two parts, the main bit and the lower part part pf the face plate to which extensions are meant to be connected. One of the the things they ask you if there is a fault is to disconnect all extensions by undoing the front two screws and pulling it out and connecting the phone to the main socket only.

Wiring Information

The telephone system uses a pair of cables connected to ports 2 and 5. The best thing is to run two separate cables as in Mick's post, the other 6 wires will then be redundant spares. If you decide to do as in Dibbers post and not bothered about Gigabit and POE, then cut the network cable about a foot longer than you need for the network port, pull out the pair you will use for the telephone and then cut the network end to size. You can then use two pattresses next to each other, one for a network socket and the other one for telephone.(Extension sockets are normally smaller.) Just as in Dibbers post but using two different boxes.

Alternatively, buy similar to BT Voice Secondary Mod | Screwfix.com for telephone, Labgear Cat5E Outlet Module | Screwfix.com for network and Philex 2G Modular Faceplate White | Screwfix.com to hold both.

Godamnit I love you guys.
To answer your question Exos, I'm going this route because I want everything in one wire, both telephone and ethernet. Which I conveniently have knocking about at about 20m in lenth, and I want it in only one wire because a small run of it is along some skirting so It has to be neat!

I'm gonna give the pattresses a miss and just hook up an RJ11 into my router brokeback.
And I think I'm gonna leave my socket as is and just plug a connector into the socket as the master socket is unused. save me from breaking something like the clumsy git that I am.

As for the filter.
I'll take some pictures of what I currently have tomorrow. I'm not sure if its a splitter and filter built in, or if its just a splitter, I'm guessing the latter because it looks cheap and cheerful.
If they haven't left me a filter I'm gonna be pissed because I'm having several disconnects per day from my broadband as is.

Do some routers not have a filter built in? if yes are they reliably good quality? or is it just a gimmick?

Thanks guys.
Some great info in this thread.

CrazyFool

I might have a spare filter you can have, if still need one,but will need to check tomorrow after work.

As for the disconnects when i moved to sky i was only getting half mb speed (was told i could get 4)and after numerous phone calls to sky & bt, who blamed each other and £50 on an independent engineer, i was told that it takes roughly 2weeks for the line management to work and sort out my lines best speed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer seanicca, thats very kind of you.

should I assume that i have got a filter built into the wall sockets?
I have a master socket coming in from the street. from there the engineer ran an extension to another socket which I use for my phone.
well he didnt really run the extension himself. It was the old virgin media socket connection which he very sneakily cut into and hooked it up to the master socket (cut him some slack, I made him do it)
So will the master socket have a filter and will the hijacked virgin socket have a filter? I do remember him changing the faceplate on both so it had the BT openreach logo lol

If I'm thinking right the filter looks like this and plugs into the master socket

uploadfromtaptalk1325730251874.jpg

Unlikely to have built in filter. Simplest way to confirm is try net whilst using phone on extension socket. If net does not work, then definitely no built in filter.

Yes the above picture is the filter. All sockets with phones need filters not just the main one.

Last edited:
OMFG.
bang on the money abu-baniaz.
i just rang some poor feck up at half two in the morning to run your diagnostic and my internet cut out!
even logged into my router to find that my Ip address, IP Subnet Mask, Gateway IP Address and Domain Name Server had disappeared.

**** sakes.

OMFG.
bang on the money abu-baniaz.
i just rang some poor feck up at half two in the morning to run your diagnostic and my internet cut out!
even logged into my router to find that my Ip address, IP Subnet Mask, Gateway IP Address and Domain Name Server had disappeared.

**** sakes.

If you want the filter(and I've still got it) PM me your details and I'll try and pop it in the post tomorrow afternoon

Thanks again for the offer buddy.

It looks like I'll need two filters anyway, so I dont want to give you the hassle of having to post it.
I'm gonna make a very angry call to sky tomorrow and get them to send me two fresh filters, the tight ****s.

ffs. you guys have no idea how much trouble the lack of this small ****ing filter has given me these last few days. I've pulled my hair out trying to fix my server.

Crazy

Thanks again for the offer buddy.

It looks like I'll need two filters anyway, so I dont want to give you the hassle of having to post it.
I'm gonna make a very angry call to sky tomorrow and get them to send me two fresh filters, the tight ****s.

ffs. you guys have no idea how much trouble the lack of this small ****ing filter has given me these last few days. I've pulled my hair out trying to fix my server.

Crazy

No problem, hope you get it sorted.

Believe me I've got a very good idea, I've been there trying to get sky broadband sorted.

Just moved to bt infinity from sky and it took 15 mins for the guy to get me up and running and now 20mb speeds are great.

Alrighty then.

So I spoke to sky today.
they're going to send me two filters, but they're going to be splitter filters like the one shown above in seaniccas post.

Will that do? I dont know if it applies to this type of networking, but I know unnecessary splitters are detrimental to signal quality when dealing with co-ax cable etc.

Back