Requesting CCTV Footage From Police

Gunner786

Inactive User
Reaction score
Are we allowed?

im entangled in a accident claim and the other car allegedly written off is still driving around town.
I have seen it and i know the exact time and place it was and it was at traffic lights too.

Can i request cctv footage whioch i can use as proof to uncover a fraud in which i have been pulled into?

im not sure if you can have it but im sure if you report the fraud to the police and say the cctv footage will prove it then they should look at it them self and let you know

Precisley, I dont think you have any right to see the footage so soon - but if you pass the details on to the police and the insurance company, you can make an official complaint.

it all depends wat you mean writeoff because if the insurance company write it off just means its not worth the car repairing ie the car is not worth the money puting it right even though the car is writen off you can still buy back the car and put the repair right with your own moneys but must pass a stringent testto be put back on the road so what do you mean its a write off unable to drive or its not cost affective to repair

Extracts from the data protection act:

Access by Data Subjects

This right is provided by section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 - Data Protection Principles 1, 6 & 7.

When data subjects make a request for accessing their information, those operating the system must be able to recognise such a request.

A standard subject access request form should exist for this purpose and should indicate:

What information is required to locate the requested images
What information is required in order to identify the person making the request
What fee is charged for carrying out the requested search (max £10.00)
Whether merely viewing the images recorded would satisfy the individual
That within 40 days of receiving the required fee and information the response will be provided
An explanation of the Rights provided by the 1998 Act

Written information should be given to individuals of the types of images retained, their purpose and the policy concerning disclosure in relation to those images
Standard 2 above should also be provided with the subject access request form
The designated person should deal with all subject access
The images requested should be located by a designated person
A designated person should make the decision whether disclosure also entails disclosure to a third party
A designated person should determine the decision as to whether the images of third parties are held under a duty of confidence
A designated person must ensure that third party images are disguised if third party images are not to be disclosed
An editing company may be used if the system does not have the capability to comply with standard 8 above
If a third party or an editing company is used the following procedures apply:
There is a contractual relationship between the data controller and the editing company
The editing company must give appropriate guarantees regarding the security measures taken in relation to the images
It is the responsibility of the designated person to check and ensure that the guarantees are met
That the editing company can only use the images in accordance with the instructions of the designated person should be explicit and in the form of a written contract
The security guarantees provided by the editing company should be explicit and in the form of a written contract

If it is decided by a designated person that an access is not to be complied with, the following should be documented:
The date of the request
The identity of the person making the request
Why the request to supply the images was refused
The name and signature of the designated person making the decision

All staff should be aware of individuals' rights
If disclosure is made, it should be in private with only authorised staff present
The Data Subject is entitled to a copy of his data in intelligible format (Standard VHS tape)

Under Sections 10, 12 And 13 Of The Data Protection Act 1998 Other Rights May Also Apply

When there is a request from an individual to prevent processing likely to cause unwarranted and substantial damage or automated decision taking in relation to that individual. All operators must be able to recognise such a request
When such requests are made all staff must be aware of the designated person who should respond to them
The response from the designated person must indicate whether they will comply with such requests
There must be a response in writing within 21 days of the designated person receiving the request
The designated person must give written reasons if the request cannot be complied with
A copy of the request and response must be kept
The designated person must notify the individual if an automated decision is made
If the individual makes a request in writing within 21 days the designated person must reconsider an automated decision
The designated person will respond within 21 days setting out the steps they will take if they receive a receipt of the written request in standard 8 above
The designated person will document the original decision, the request from the individual and their response to the request
Data Subjects can take court action to prevent unlawful processing
Data Subjects can claim compensation for "damage" suffered as a result of breaches of this Act

I do know that if you are recorded by cctv, you have the right to a copy of the recording.
However, it isn't actually you in the recording, unless you were recorded when you saw the car???

Curly

But once you have the footage, what then? It doesnt help you at all to have it and as Curly points out, you need to be in it too otherwise you dont have a right to it.

Just go to the police and make an official complaint, tell them the car was a write off and they will investigate it. After all, they dont want a dangerous car on the road - especially after a member of the public reports it.

and update on this,
my insurance runs out in october. i should still be able to use my ncb beause the accident is still not settled as being my fault aparently after getting a call from my insurance company to update me. If it is still not settled by the time my renewal comes around will my insurance use the ncb to give me a renewal quote? will i get my no claims bonus proof if the accident is still not settled by the time of the renewal? im thinking of changing insurance companies too

Cars, petrol stations, dodgey tv's and fraud.
You have one helluva busy life mate..

and update on this,
my insurance runs out in october. i should still be able to use my ncb beause the accident is still not settled as being my fault aparently after getting a call from my insurance company to update me. If it is still not settled by the time my renewal comes around will my insurance use the ncb to give me a renewal quote? will i get my no claims bonus proof if the accident is still not settled by the time of the renewal? im thinking of changing insurance companies too

no you will lose a part off your ncb untill the claim is settled. if you have a full ncb it will ( i think ) go back to 45, .i think if it's 30 are below you lose it all.

tr

well you need to listen to exactly how the question is phrased if you ring up or if you do on an online form. as they say they do compare and pass info to each other to stop fraud.

its not worth lying nowardays as you will probably end up with no insurance and then there will be another question "have you ever been refused insurance" you will then have to say yes to.......

tbh if the other party has claimed the car is a right off but are still driving it around then its your insurance company that you are better off informing as they will probably have more clout with the old bill in investigating and more likely to be able to officially get and use any cctv footage.

What's wrong with driving a car that has had an insurance claim written off?

My mate bought back his 'write-off' Fiesta a few years ago and is still driving it.

What's wrong with driving a car that has had an insurance claim written off?

My mate bought back his 'write-off' Fiesta a few years ago and is still driving it.

there's nothing wrong with it you see them for sale in the autotrader all the time .

so did my mate, got hit at traffic lights, insurance company wouldn't pay for it to be fixed, he got £800 off them for the car (PLUS his whiplash claim) , bought the car back for £70, paid a mate to fix for £150 - back on the road for another few years!

stuff like that never happens to me....

:roflmao: watch you don't get the cctv footage of you buying that dodgy T.V. from that irish fella in the petrol station mate....

You might want to change your name to Lucky :)

Taken from HERE

Insurance Categories

Below is a list of the classifications by which insurance companies write-off vehicles.
Vehicles categorised as ‘A’ or ‘B’ have been so severely accident damaged that they are deemed unfit for repair by the insurers and must therefore be “crushed” to prevent them from being able to go back on the road.
We don’t sell cat ‘A’ or ‘B’ vehicles as repairable salvage - we only sell categories ‘C’, ‘D’ and ‘X’ to our customers!!!

CAT ‘A’ A written-off vehicle that must be totally destroyed, including all of its parts.

CAT ‘B’ A written-off vehicle from which the spare parts may be re-sold, but from which the body-shell should be destroyed so that the vehicle cannot be returned to the road.

CAT ‘C’ A vehicle that is written-off by the insurers because the repair costs are greater than the value of the vehicle itself, but which can nonetheless still be potentially repaired to a roadworthy condition.

CAT ‘D’ A vehicle that has been written-off by the insurers, for various possible reasons, even though its physical repair costs are less than the vehicle’s actual value.

CAT ‘X’ A vehicle that is “not recorded” as being damaged on the HPI register, or which has very minimal damage only. Generally speaking, these vehicles are “stolen-recovered” cases.

lol beat me too it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol i know.

rather a busy life then a boring life lol

yep, and as your life was boring, why not make some interesting stuff up eh? i know its just my view. if its the truth, I'm sorry. all that does is make you too dim to be safe!
I'll bet I'm not the only one here, or on all the other forums you have trolled your story's too, that thinks it. lol even some of your cricket friends were sceptical.

lol beat me too it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yep, and as your life was boring, why not make some interesting stuff up eh? i know its just my view. if its the truth, I'm sorry. all that does is make you too dim to be safe!
I'll bet I'm not the only one here, or on all the other forums you have trolled your story's too, that thinks it. lol even some of your cricket friends were sceptical.
whats wrong with asking for abit of advice?
cant believe some people actuakky bring up trolling in every single thread.

whats the harm in getting asmuch info from asmany places possible?
some places members know more than the other places

some places members know more than the other places

yeh right, i read them all, no comments anywhere else that differ from those on this site. although, on the cricket site, there were more people willing to admit they bought stolen goods.

Back