Replacement...

dan_med

Inactive User
Reaction score
So..

from what i've read there may or may not be a new stable image coming after the release of TM's new box, however.. if i was to want to switch to something else what would you recommend?

Things i need.

RF output (along side HDMI)
CCCam support
CoolEPG (or similar) with mutli day epg.
Full HD and 3D support.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Not sure about the RF out on the 800, as I have never had the need for it

However, for the rest of your list the 800 peforms them operations fine.

Not sure about the RF out on the 800, as I have never had the need for it

However, for the rest of your list the 800 peforms them operations fine.

Not sure you understood my question.. I already have the TM800HD.. i'm looking for an alternative

Understand the question mate, but as I said the 800 performs your request just fine

So why would you want to spend more money, on another box, when there is a possibility that the 800 image still might be improved in time to come.

I got rid of my tm800 a couple of months ago. sold it for what I paid for it a year and half before for €299 and bought a vu+ uno. Although I find both boxes where great for wathing tv the hdd working on the vu+ and the timeshift and being able to use my external hdd to watch movies i have downloaded on the vu+ are all perfect. Havn't had any green screens or box locking up and the epg is also excellent. so although the tm800 was good at some things i find the vu+ to be great at everything i have tried to do with it so far.

if you want a receiver with RF output, then the Technomate receivers are just about the only ones who include this 'as standard'

the TM800 also outputs in 1080p, which even though theres no 1080p broadcasts, no other receiver (that im aware of at time of posting) offers this resolution, it supports HD and 3D, cool EPg as well as multigraphicalEPG and CCcam support

is there any 'extra' features youd like to gain?

due to thw way cool epg is coded, the latest version that will work on the TM800 is v2.2.2

this IS NOT anything to do with the TM800, this is down to the way coolEPG is coded without the correct files to allow it to run on any version receiver

you cajn also install it via my tm800 plugin m8

latest Cool TV works on other E2 boxes OK though Digi :err:
what makes TM800 different mate ?

lol someone saved me the hassle of making a topic about this.
I'm also planning on replacing my tm800 next month.
I'm after more or less the same things dan_med mentioned.

Played with my cousins dreambox 800 and was surprised at how much different it was.
Only thing I didn't like about it, was the amount of time it takes to flash the thing again.

Features I'd like in a new box:
HD & 3D
CCCam support
Rf output alongside hdmi (are there any modulated rf outputs available?)
Fast zap and Multiday Epg
Subtitles (something along the lines of sly's dvb. not just teletext ones)
timeshift & internal hdd recording
web streaming
(optional) twin tuner

price wise I'm willing to spend up to £300.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something :)

@Rat , coolman only includes the compiled python scripts that his plugin was created from, this means that any small changes in python itself, renders 'older' versions of his plugin useless. if the main .py scripts that python compiles FROM were also included (which under the python license, they should really be) then his plugin would work on EVERY receiver. This is pythons 'magic number' error, where a script was compiled under a different version of python to the one youre trying to run the script on

@amaru007, for just over £300 theres the Vu+ Duo, also just around the corner, with more on board memory than any other linux receiver on the planet (at the time of posting) is the TM-TWIN-OE, if you already have a TM800, the TM-TWIN-OE can be had for part-ex for £249 delivered

lol someone saved me the hassle of making a topic about this.
I'm also planning on replacing my tm800 next month.
I'm after more or less the same things dan_med mentioned.

Played with my cousins dreambox 800 and was surprised at how much different it was.
Only thing I didn't like about it, was the amount of time it takes to flash the thing again.

Features I'd like in a new box:
HD & 3D
CCCam support
Rf output alongside hdmi (are there any modulated rf outputs available?)
Fast zap and Multiday Epg
Subtitles (something along the lines of sly's dvb. not just teletext ones)
timeshift & internal hdd recording
web streaming
(optional) twin tuner

price wise I'm willing to spend up to £300.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something :)

RF Output is not available on many recievers.. for all other features theres a few choices. Your better of with Linux recievers if you want proper EPG, some closed sources also offer multiday EPG...but nowhere near as flexible.

- DM800SE clones for 150 quid.. Single Tuner.
- new VU Duo clones...under 200 quid ...Twin Tuner... I would suggest keeping an eye on these..
- Xtrend 9200 - twin tuner, 360 quid.
- VU Solo/Uno - single tuner.

Thats just a few of the more will known options, theres some other ones as well.

what I mean though Dude is putting it another way
what other E2 boxes are stuck on 2.2 Cool TV Guide because of theis python error ?

what other E2 boxes are stuck on 2.2 Cool TV Guide because of theis python error ?

None that I'm aware of, but I'm sure Digi will soon put us straight

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

thanks digidude, I've been considering moving to a Vu+. I'll take a look at the difference between the solo and duo models.
the Tm twin I probably wont even consider, due to it being a tm lol.
I'm not too bothered about the Rf per se. My box is distributed around the house via a 8way amplifier/modlator unit.
it was installed when the house was going through renovations, the guys at the time put the main sly dish cable and box upstairs in the attic. and then using the 8 way distributor unit, sent the signal across the house to all the rooms.
also allowed magic eye to work on all the tv's too.
since i moved to the tm800, had to add a modulator unit with a ir receiver, to do the same thing, which is connected by scart.
was curious to why no ones ever build a self powered modulator unit similar to the sly boxes.

The New Azbox Me looks good although ive yet to find a seller, It can run android and Google TV once the source has been released by google

Operating System Linux
Processor (CPU) SIGMA processor SMP 8655
Working Memory DDR 256 MB
Video Memory DDR 256 MB
Tuner Single tuner (DVB-S2 or DVB-T/DVB-C) embedded.
DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, USALS
Flash Memory 512 MB
HDD eSATA and internal SATA
Video Output PAL / NTSC
Video Containers MPEG1/2/4 (M1V, M2V, M4V); MPEG1/2 PS (M2P, MPG); MPEG2 Transport Stream (TS, TP, TRP, M2T, M2TS, MTS), VOB, AVI, ASF, WMV, IFO, ISO; Matroska (MKV), MOV (H.264), MP4, RMP4
Video Codecs XVID SD/HD; MPEG-1; MPEG-2: MP@HL; MPEG-4.2: ASP@L5, 720p, 1-point GMC; WMV9: MP@HL; H.264: BP@L3; H.264: [email protected]; H.264: [email protected]; H.264: [email protected]; VC-1: MP@HL; VC-1: AP@L3
Audio Containers AAC, M4A, MPEG audio (MP1, MP2, MP3, MPA), WAV, WMA, FLAC, OGG
Audio Codecs AAC, AAC+, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, WMA, WMA Pro, MP1, MP2, MP3, LPCM, FLAC, Vorbis, DTS (Audio Passthrough), Dolby Digital Plus (Audio Passthrough)
Picture Support JPEG, BMP, GIF
Subtitle Supported SMI, SRT, TXT, SUB, SSA
Resolution 576i (480i), 576p, (480p), 720p, 1080i, 1080p
Ethernet 10/100 Base-T Ethernet (max.100Mbit/s)
Front Panel 1x USB 2.0; Coloured Leds & VFD; Power Button
Back Panel 1x HDMI; 1x Component (YcbCr); 1x RCA Video; 1x RCA Audio (L/R); 1x e-SATA 1x RJ45; 1x USB 2.0; 1x Optical S/PDIF; Power Switch;
Lateral Panel 1x CR Slot for PayTV (Conax)

Its on here but not sure if i would trust them though but it gives a idea of price

AZBox Me, HD Satshop Koeln

It doesn't look much against the Twin-OE but at least it will have a working image of neutrino hd, android 2.2 and maybe Google TV
Even with the part exchange thing i feel most people have lost faith in TM as a company who used to deliver the goods.

Last edited:

Just out of interest, is there any need to go higher than 2.2 - do they really provide anything new or needed?

Tbh mate I've not looked at any update release notes so I can't comment

But something must of improved to release an update ?

Sent from my iPhone

Is that TM's official Part Exchnage deal for TM800HD owners ? Trade in your TM800HD and they will sell you a TM Twin for 249 delivered ?? Full retail price on a TM TWIN is 299 anyway...
...So they buying back TM800HD units for 50 quid....lol ! Some people paid 250 quid for these units when they first came out... even current retail price is 149...
Looks like a pretty lame deal to me...better off keeping your TM800HD if your only going to get 50 quid for it...or try and flog it on some well known auction sites...might get some more cash for it, some muppet who doesnt know any better might buy it...

Selling price for twin is now £329.99

So you are supposedly getting £80

TM800 is now £130

I've tried 3 times to selling on eBay twice it didn't sell and once buyer backed out

Sent from my iPhone

Back