Red Cherry Shrimp

marra

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone else keep red cherry shrimp ive read loads of info which at this point seems to be rubbish apparently im supposed to do partial water changes every 3 weeks but when i do it kills some of them off i went from 30 to 10 in no time at all i haven't touched the water in over 3 months now and there is between 40-60 now and the plants are thriving too im feeding them every other day and they are keeping the tank clean and tbh i don't think it needs any water change but i don't want to leave it until its too late ive done ph tests nitrate and nitrite and everything is right except ph which is through the roof but doesn't seem to bother them any help or pointers whould be great.

not sure marra but do you use water straight from the tap without water conditioner(takes the chlorine out )

Cheers for the reply mate, im using water from the tap but i am using seachem prime dechlorinator which is supposed to be the recommended one for shrimp I still havent touched the water and all the young ones seem to be doing great.

I've got 4 RCS mixed in my tank with the fish. To begin with I was having to do partial water changes almost daily to get my levels of Nitrate to increase and drop the Nitrites.

Now I change 1/3 of the tank ever month or so. The only other reason I would change the water is if anything dies. Test it and then change as much as possible.
Another thing is try to keep the water temperature as stable as possible. Even during changes, add a bit of hot to whatever you use to fill it up with to avoid any cold shocks to them.
Are you sure they are dieing and not just moulting or hiding?

I've got 4 RCS mixed in my tank with the fish. To begin with I was having to do partial water changes almost daily to get my levels of Nitrate to increase and drop the Nitrites.

Now I change 1/3 of the tank ever month or so. The only other reason I would change the water is if anything dies. Test it and then change as much as possible.
Another thing is try to keep the water temperature as stable as possible. Even during changes, add a bit of hot to whatever you use to fill it up with to avoid any cold shocks to them.
Are you sure they are dieing and not just moulting or hiding?

Yeah mate defiantly dead lol like i say nothings died since i stopped doing water changes if anything its got miles better but if im being honest ive done all the above stable temp etc my nitrate and nitrite is spot on its just my ph is through the roof but i know at some point i imagine i will need to change some water at the moment i need to add to it but i could do with knowing what the problem is first, cheers for the link bro ill have a read through that.

Thanks for your help lads its appreciated.

it could be copper from old pipes, copper will kill shrimps it is used in planted tanks to kill snails, have you added any new plants?

i have some cherry's in with some fish's they didn't breed much, i stuck a couple in a old 4g tank no filter or heater and they have breed like rabbits in there, it could be that they don't like any sudden change in there water.

if you want to change the water then maybe you should do little water changes.

it could be copper from old pipes, copper will kill shrimps it is used in planted tanks to kill snails, have you added any new plants?

i have some cherry's in with some fish's they didn't breed much, i stuck a couple in a old 4g tank no filter or heater and they have breed like rabbits in there, it could be that they don't like any sudden change in there water.

if you want to change the water then maybe you should do little water changes.

I dont think its the pipes mate all the tests on pure tap tap water show up fine, theres no new plants all the plants i have, have been in there since i got the shrimp or due to them breading before, the plants are growing great and ive tried small water changes im at a total loss the only thing i can think of now is to top up the tanks as it needs it at the moment then see how they react to that there must of been something wrong even if what it was is ok now i havent lost none for ages theres about 50 at the moment, cheers for the reply mate.

If you leave water standing for more than 24 hours or there about then the chlorine will evaporate from it.....

I used to have a massive salt water tank with cleaner shrimp, (and a few more species in there) they were well good with the orange spotted goby, that would sit with it's mouth open and the cleaner shrimp would go along and clean it's mouth out, was brilliant to watch, 2 completely different species using one an other.....how ever the cleaner shrimp were animals! (forgive the pun) ! they ended up eating the goby when it died, I was mortified they could do that, they ate half it's head and bits of it's brains, I didn't know until I realised that it had gone from it's normal spot......

Had every kind of water fish there just about it, but I decided enough was enough in the end I they needed more looking after than a baby.....so decided that a screen saver for the pc was cheaper!

You'll need to get the PH sorted though mate, defo. too high or too low and nothing is going to like it, some don't mind a little fluctuating, but if it's off the scale, try doing the PH test after the water has stood for a day....see what it says.

good luck.

Dibbs

just found an old picture of it........:whistle:

one before...........

DCP00612.jpg

and one after

DCP00597.jpg

Last edited:
Back