Recommend a android xbmc box

goldeneagle1

Inactive User
Reaction score
As the title states, anyone recommend an android tv box that runs xbmc & plays most mefia files.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I bought one of those android mx boxes which runs xbmc - they are OK but Im trying to find out how to flash them and remove all the junk that comes with them.

Do they stream ok & have you tried playing different media/movie files. I have a wd live tv box but that has failed to play several files that work on a scan own brand player.

I bought one of those android mx boxes which runs xbmc - they are OK but Im trying to find out how to flash them and remove all the junk that comes with them.
what junk do you want to remove from it
what firmware version is on it and whats the name of the flash image matricom, mbox, etc
Do they stream ok & have you tried playing different media/movie files. I have a wd live tv box but that has failed to play several files that work on a scan own brand player.

They stream fine as long as you have a decent bb speed i have never had any problems and its played everything i have thrown at it

Last edited:
what junk do you want to remove from it
what firmware version is on it and whats the name of the flash image matricom, mbox, etc

They stream fine as long as you have a decent bb speed i have never had any problems and its played everything i have thrown at it

It came with a load of apps and stuff on it, ideally what I would like to do is just have xbmc on it. Also it struggles streaming across my lan with HD movies (so obviously this doesn't touch the bb speed). Also there are no PVR addons installed so Im guessing its got an old version of xbmc as Im pretty sure Frodo comes with VU+/Enigma2 client?

As for the firmware I don't know off the top of my head but internally it has got hd18 v2.22

I know of the reset button hidden inside the av socket, but I haven't had time to sit down and work out what firmware I can put on the box. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

All the firmware i have flashed have some android apps included, you could just un-install the xbmc you have on and put frodo 12.3 on
now you can backup your xbmc addons, data, etc first if you want to, but that will put all the add-ons back on including ones you might not want
I did a fresh install and put the addons i wanted on so only had what i wanted then backed that up for any other box i bought
let me know if you want to back up and i will explain how to do it

To uninstall xbmc exit out of xbmc then in your apps screen go into settings,apps hi-lite xbmc and press ok
clear cache,clear data then uninstall it (you could also uninstall any other app you don't want in there to)

download xbmc for android here
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
put it on a sd card/usb stick or external hard drive and put it in the box
in your app screen go to app installer choose you attached drive and install xbmc

once installed you will have to install any add-on you want which you can get from
Code:
or
Code:
if you need istream or any other addon just let me know

you can set the box to get addons online if you want to do that just let us know

Last edited:
All the firmware i have flashed have some android apps included, you could just un-install the xbmc you have on and put frodo 12.3 on
now you can backup your xbmc addons, data, etc first if you want to, but that will put all the add-ons back on including ones you might not want
I did a fresh install and put the addons i wanted on so only had what i wanted then backed that up for any other box i bought

To uninstall xbmc exit out of xbmc then in your apps screen go into settings,apps hi-lite xbmc and press ok
clear cache,clear data then uninstall it (you could also uninstall any other app you don't want in there to)

Code:
in your app screen go to app installer choose you attached drive and install xbmc

once installed you will have to install any add-on you want which you can get from
Code:
or
Code:

you can set the box to get addons online if you want to do that just let us know

Beauty - will give it a go and report back :)

Code:

Code:
or
Code:

What box have you got mate? As mine seems to struggle especially with HD content. It struggles with HD content from my HTPC and also the HD channels from my enigma2 box :S

What box have you got mate? As mine seems to struggle especially with HD content. It struggles with HD content from my HTPC and also the HD channels from my enigma2 box :S
MX2 Android tv box
are you wireless if so try using a ethernet cable to hard wire it to your router
then go to settings turn off wifi (top right corner) and turn on ethernet then reboot
go to speedtest.net and check what download speed your actually getting as to what your paying for

MX2 Android tv box
are you wireless if so try using a ethernet cable to hard wire it to your router
then go to settings turn off wifi (top right corner) and turn on ethernet then reboot
go to speedtest.net and check what download speed your actually getting as to what your paying for

Sorry mate I should have put - Im running it on Ethernet. Also its local streaming so my internet connection shouldn't play a part in it. Im half tempted to build a htpc rather than mess around with these android boxes as it seems to struggle with the basic of tasks.

Htpc Why not go for a pre built small form factor dell Tower fits behind 42 inch screen. I got one second hand for £60 then put a full hd card and more memory works great

It also streams content from my nbox.....you need xbmc 12.1 frodo or higher to get the pvr function

Sorry mate I should have put - Im running it on Ethernet. Also its local streaming so my internet connection shouldn't play a part in it. Im half tempted to build a htpc rather than mess around with these android boxes as it seems to struggle with the basic of tasks.
Mine works fine no problems, maybe a re flash will sort it

Htpc Why not go for a pre built small form factor dell Tower fits behind 42 inch screen. I got one second hand for £60 then put a full hd card and more memory works great

It also streams content from my nbox.....you need xbmc 12.1 frodo or higher to get the pvr function

Yeah I looked at those, but I already have access to a mitx mobo with gfx etc so all I really need is the case :)

Can anyone recommend a quiet mini itx case please? Im geeking but a recommendation would be better :)

I never noticed you said local streaming, just to let you know i have never tried that so cant say if its a box issue
If you still want to flash it I used the software link to setup the sd card and the instructions in post 11 here
click on Matricom Image to get the image in that post as well

Code:
Make sure you used a sd card larger than 4gb as a 4gb is not big enough and it wont work

Last edited:
Back