Rangers FC Thread

47234ded7135c9728a20f0044ddce280_XL.jpg

Time For Fans To Unite

RANGERS, once again, appear to be under attack from the vindictive and downright malicious.

This isn’t paranoia and nor is it an attempt to play the victim card. There is no need for Rangers to do that because this club are no longer victims.

Rangers are in an extremely healthy financial position despite the best efforts of the media and others to suggest otherwise. Their desperation to see Rangers fail appears to be blinding them to a reality they don’t wish to view.

And I’m afraid their bile towards Rangers has poisoned their systems.

Once again, however, Rangers fans feel they have to react. Some are fretting, others are simmering, unsure what to do or say while a fair few aren‘t holding anything in reserve. They are venting their spleens.

Sadly for Rangers fans this is not a new phenomenon.

It is a fact that Rangers’ business cannot be reported in a fair or balanced manner. Stories are written to fit headlines which often bear little or no resemblance to the truth.

Rangers fans have every right to be angry and are entitled to expect the club to deal with those in the media, who wilfully distort, and also that close-knit gang of internet bloggers and posters. They will never have any connection with reality.

Of course, Rangers fans want to know what the club intend doing about this almost constant barrage of abuse. A great deal is the simple answer but the club cannot leap up on to the Ibrox roof and start screaming about the injustice of it.

The club must act in a responsible manner and our supporters have to understand that Rangers cannot react to every single internet bampot or each journalist or paper displaying a clear anti-Rangers agenda. But while it would be undignified to bawl and shout it would also be wrong to say and do nothing.

Over the last couple of days Rangers have tried to make it clear to media outlets that stories claiming a Singapore-based company are owed £400,000 are not accurate. Yet papers, TV and radio ran with their versions anyway.

They continue to report that Rangers face a Winding Up Petition but don’t point out this is a routine way of forcing payment and that there is no realistic threat of closure. They have chosen not to highlight the fact that Rangers believe agreement has been reached on a settlement sum which has actually been lodged with lawyers.

Wording of the agreement is all that stops this matter from being concluded.

But this issue is dealt with elsewhere on this site and I refer to it here only to show how difficult it is for some people to display basic decency and honesty. Despite what they and many in the media wish to believe Rangers are alive and well and there is a plan of action to try to deal with them, and also to curb the more deranged and spiteful critics.

But please, be patient. As soon as the changes agreed for Rangers PR and media kick in the approach will be very different. Details of those changes will be revealed soon enough but let me share something with you right now.

I worked in papers for years and I know that managements, editors and hacks don’t even miss a beat when they hear that a particular club’s fans say they aren’t going to buy the paper anymore. It means nothing because so far these threats have been empty.

Some fans do withdraw patronage but the fact nothing changes in terms of the balance of reporting suggests too few are exercising their right to switch.

If every fan who said he or she would never buy a particular paper again actually didn’t then those publications would be out of business. The bottom line is everything to the managements and shareholders of these companies and a sharp decline in sales would register like a thunder clap at boardroom level.

Too few fans realise just how much power they actually can command, especially if they’d step outwith their different groups and unite in one cause. Believe me, you could make media managements snap to attention and pay closer attention to the agendas of their editors, producers and journalists.

Just imagine the strength to be wielded if, instead of arguing among yourselves on forums, Twitter and Facebook, you all came together and acted as one massive and potent force for change. Just by refusing to acknowledge stories and broadcasts which you believe to be malicious you’d change the entire agenda.

Many are calling on the club to fire out banning orders and writs to various media outlets but an immediate and effective answer lies with the fans themselves. While a supporter cannot change his or her club because of the emotional investment, reading and listening habits can be altered very easily.

If fans can no longer trust a particular journalist or paper to be impartial they can stop reading. If they don’t like the agendas of a particular TV or radio station they don’t have to watch or listen.

Now, before we have the usual suspects out there in media land foaming at the mouth let me make it clear that I am not telling Rangers fans that every journo is working against this club. That level of paranoia might exist somewhere else but certainly not within Ibrox.

But why is it that so many continue to write or broadcast that this club is a new club when it is the owners who are new? Is it a lack of basic intelligence or is it something more sinister?

Why is there this obsession with Rangers and titles? Why is it always written that Rangers went down owing £130 plus million?

Why would a reporter write that Rangers had lost their Tupe case after it had been explained to him that last week’s ruling by the arbitration panel was nothing more than a procedural one and not a final decision on the actual case? A lack of smarts again, or something darker?

There are many examples of this level of reporting with regard to Rangers but I want to point out that I believe there are still a lot of good, honest hacks out there. Maybe they, too, should stand up for themselves and their profession.

But this club’s fans can make their play by realising it is your interest, your angst and rage which encourage the repeat offenders. Believe me, they get a real kick out of becoming the subjects of on-line threads and discussions and by paying attention, even if it is to hurl insults or use unacceptable language to describe them, you give them exactly what they want.

You are just about the only audience they have. Do not indulge them. Ignore their malice, pay no attention to their agendas, and do not let them into your heads.

I know there are various factions among Rangers supporters but why not stand united in this cause? Your attention is their oxygen. It can be so easily switched off.

090213_shiels_goal_01.jpg

Rangers 4 Queen's Park 0

RANGERS extended their lead at the top of the Third Division to 22 points thanks to a third Glasgow derby victory of the season.

After 1-0 and 2-0 wins earlier in the campaign, goals from Ian Black, Dean Shiels and a double from Andy Little earned a 4-0 victory over Queen’s Park at Ibrox.

The visitors came to Govan as the Light Blues’ closest challengers and retain two games in hand. A better result might have given them encouragement that the gap at the top could be narrowed for the late part of the season, but it was never in doubt.

The opening half saw Rangers exert the pressure in the early stage and again close to half time without working the Queens keeper until injury time.

Little had a decent early opening after a neat pass from McKay found Hutton in space and he moved it quickly forward to Little.

The Ulsterman had the pace to get to the box but his finish was high and the chance was gone.

Little was clearly keen to impress through the middle and he combined well with Shiels minutes later but still no breakthrough was achieved.

Shiels came a little closer just shy of the twenty minute mark when he struck the side netting from the edge of the box after a good combination with Hutton.

Rangers seemed to be getting closer to the breakthrough but without a goal the visitors started to come in to the game.

With defensive confidence damaged by the previous week’s disappointment at Tannadice it was clear their remained an edginess in front of Neil Alexander.

The keeper was evidently unhappy with the contributions of his defence as Queens threatened to take the lead.

Rangers weathered the brief flurry from the visitors and almost made that count in the closing minutes of the half.

Cribari hit the post with a header from one of the better delivered set pieces, and Rangers were unlucky to see both Shiels and Templeton denied by a fine double save from Neil Parry in first half stoppage time.

The tempo was still there for the start of the second half as Rangers pressured early on and Hutton forced another smart save from Parry.

Shiels followed up on the rebound but his connection was poor and the ball bounced across the face of goal.

The intent would be rewarded within five minutes however, as the home side this time broke down the left through McKay.

He had options with four players pouring in to the box and he picked out the late run of Black who guided a cushioned volley in to the bottom corner.

The move was a sign that McCoist had encouraged Black, and the rest of the midfield, to play further toward the visitors’ goal.

And there was more evidence for the second goal too. McKay on the left was again the out ball and he got things moving.

A brilliant switch of play saw him pick out Templeton who rolled it in to the path of Hutton. The midfielder might have shot, but instead picked out Shiels.

He was equally unselfish to roll the ball in to Little’s path for the simplest of finishes.

That selflessness from Shiels was rewarded when he tucked home the third with a similarly straightforward chance thanks to Wallace’s cutback.

Wallace was again at his consistent best of the left and would have been bemused by the decision of referee George Salmond to ignore Aidan Connolly’s blatant foul on him late in the match.

A second yellow for the midfielder seemed inevitable when he leapt in on the touchline but Salmond opted to allow play to continue.

There remained time for Rangers to add a little gloss, and it was a pleasing end for Andy Little as he added a second and took his season tally to 18.

Rangers: Alexander; Argyriou, Hegarty, Cribari, Wallace; Hutton, Black; McKay (Aird 73), Shiels (Crawford 80), Templeton; Little.

Subs: Gallacher, Faure, Mitchell.

Goals: Black (50), Little (63, 89), Shiels (78)

Bookings: Templeton, Argyriou

Queen's Park: Parry, Little, Robertson, Keenan (Burns 69), Brough, McPartland, Connolly, Anderson, Longworth, Quinn (Shankland 90), Spittal (Urquhart 59).

Subs: Lochhead, Bradley.

Bookings: Connolly, Robertson, McPartland.

Referee: George Salmond

Attendance: 46,104

ALLY McCOIST last night came out fighting in the battle for Rangers and insisted he and Walter Smith would never stop acting in the club’s best interests.

The Rangers manager rubbished claims allegedly made by director Imran Ahmad that he and Smith are “running Rangers into the ground by not cutting costs at Murray Park from £10million to £5m”. Ahmad, the closest ally to ousted chief executive Charles Green, is also said to have accused the Ibrox legends of “trying to run the club without putting a penny in”.

These accusations were posted under a pseudonym on a Rangers supporters internet forum.

It is believed the electronic trail leads to commercial director Ahmad’s official Rangers email account and that he will leave Ibrox as a result.

Rangers have already launched their own investigation into last May’s Green-Ahmad takeover – particularly any links they had with disgraced former owner Craig Whyte.

This week has seen some of the most bitter in-fighting in the boardroom since the Green consortium bought the club and McCoist has no idea when the off-field dramas will end.

But he was adamant he and Smith, who is on the Ibrox board as a non-executive director, would keep fighting for the benefit of Rangers.

He said: “I don’t see an immediate end to it sadly but we just have to prepare as well as we can for next season.

“The allegations didn’t upset me at all because the vast majority of people will know they are not true. Anything Walter and I would do is, in our opinion, for the best.

“We have in no way, shape or form attempted to take over the club. I can speak for Walter because I know the man – everything we are doing is to benefit the club.

“We are not trying to take it over – that’s absolute nonsense. We are trying to do our own wee bit to take it forward.”

McCoist believes the vast majority of the fans will take some comfort from the fact people with a genuine love of the club are trying to fight their corner from inside.

He added: “I would hope that is the case. I’m a lot happier having Walter on the board. This time last year, it was all very new to us but I think it’s fair to say that the fans have the utmost trust in Walter.

“People like Walter, Sandy Jardine and John Greig are people who epitomise our football club.

“I don’t think it is a necessity having someone like Walter on the board but I think it’s an absolute godsend for me and the normal supporter.

“Boards are made up of different individuals. I don’t think Walter would claim to be Businessman of the Year but he knows more about running the club than probably anybody else on it.

“I think everybody at Rangers is genuinely thrilled he is there doing his best for us.

“At this moment, no doubt supporters will be disillusioned. They must be saying to themselves ‘just what is going on?’ and I understand that.

“I am just hopeful that at the end of the inquiry we can give them answers. We all deserve to know.”

McCoist will meet new interim chief executive Craig Mather on Tuesday to discuss budgets.

The manager said: “In my meetings with him he has seemed up front and is obviously delighted to have the job. He has been quoted as saying he would like to get it full-time. Time will tell if that develops.

“The most important relationship at a club is between manager and chief executive, so I’ll be doing my utmost to make it a healthy relationship.”

TICK TOCK

'FEARS were growing last night that Hearts are set to plunge into administration.

The Jambos owe Vladimir Romanov’s crippled Ukio Bankas and its parent company UBIG £25MILLION.

SunSport understands a Glasgow-based auditing firm is on standby to act if the worst nightmare of Tynecastle staff and fans is realised — possibly even as soon as the next week.

And that scenario would hand current SPL bottom side Dundee a potential reprieve from relegation.

Second bottom St Mirren, still chasing the win to secure their top-flight status, would also be cheered.

Hearts, presently 10th and 11 points clear of John Brown’s men, would be hit with a 17-point deduction going into the last fortnight of the season.

Depending on this weekend’s results it could instantly relegate Gary Locke’s side.

It is believed that the February crash of Ukio Bankas — owed £15m by the Scottish Cup holders — immediately left Hearts in a precarious position.

Supremo Romanov and right-hand man Sergejus Fedotovas, also a Jambos director, quit the board of Kaunas-based parent company and effective club owners UBIG soon after.

Hearts — who late last year rushed out a share issue to raise £1m-plus to cover an HMRC bill plus running costs which threatened to kill them off — are also in debt to UBIG to the tune of £10m.

UBIG have a 79 per cent stakeholding in Hearts, who are desperate to stave off any possible administration until at least June 1 when it’s understood their ‘golden’ SPL share would be formally confirmed again for 2013-14.

In that event they would not be relegated but would start the new season with a minimum minus 12 points.

Last night a Tynecastle source insisted: “As far as we’re concerned it’s business as usual.”'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/home...#ixzz2RthjrVkB

KILMARNOCK boss Kenny Shiels has labelled Celtic the MONSTERS of Scottish football.
In his latest rant the Rugby Park chief claimed the Hoops wield “massive influence” over SFA judicial panels.

Shiels also claimed he’d vote for axed Hearts boss John McGlynn as Manager of the Year if he could.

He said: “Celtic have massive influence on the judicial panel when decisions are made. Celtic are the monsters of Scottish football. We need the muscle of Celtic, it’s important to Scottish football.

“The Old Firm in general have the biggest support and influence.”

Shiels, who backed Well boss Stuart McCall to win the PFA gong on Sunday, added: “If I could, I’d have voted for John McGlynn.

“He had a fantastic season playing kids, getting to the League Cup Final then being denied that chance.

“I don’t want to say Neil Lennon should be manager of the year just so I can walk through Glasgow.”

Lennon, McCall, Terry Butcher and Allan Johnston are up for the prize.

Back to top of page

SKINT Hearts want Rangers to come to their aid — by agreeing to a money-spinning friendly at Tynecastle.

Jambos gaffer Gary Locke has spoken to Gers boss Ally McCoist about the possibility of a pre-season clash.

But the prospect is sure to spark anger among Ibrox fans, who blame Hearts and the rest of the SPL for sending them down to Division Three after they were liquidated last summer.

The Jambos are now desperately seeking cash in a bid to avoid being liquidated themselves, with administrators admitting the future looks bleak unless they can raise around £700,000 before the new season kicks off.

And Locke said: “I speak to Ally regularly because he is a person I have huge admiration for.

“I haven’t spoken to him about administration but I am talking to him about maybe trying to get a pre-season game and things like that.

1013386_10151671070452284_481711858_n.jpg

I think it would be even better to rise above them all and have the Friendly to raise funds to save Hearts, to show we are more interested in Football than the moronic back stabbing that the rest of the SPL were involved in. WAP !

Back