Rage Agains the Machine for Xmas No.1

earwig999

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
There has been a huge campaign running over the last few weeks to get a group of revolutionaries together to promote Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name of, in the hopes of achieving Xmas No.1.

The hope to topple the reign of Simon Cowell's X-Factor winners.

The group of well over 700k yesterday began hitting the downloads on iTunes, Play, HMV and other online music download sites.

This morning it rose to number one on both iTunes and Play.com

There is still a long way to go until Sunday, when the Xmas 2009 No. 1 will be decided.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4M0B...eature=related[/ame]

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE FOR CHRISTMAS NO.1! | Facebook

http://www.ratm.co.uk/

Last edited:
hi bud

like you say theres still a long way to go yet but i agree ....anythings got to be better than simon cowel's crap.......

i hate this song, along with the x factor song, so im gunna say peter kay for number 1 haha

Hmm, who to give money to, Sony, or Sony?

Ok 15p a week to newzbin it is.

29p too much if you ask me, xfactor song might be w@nk but its as w@nk as ratm.

who gives a toss whats at number 1 anyway, i dont as 90% of the songs that hit number 1 are w@nk in my opinion.

teen pop songs mostly.

i also highly doubt most on here pay for there music lol.

29p is a bit pricey when you consider they've been bringing out the same song for about 15 yrs.

Thing is the Journey's Dont stop believin has got to No 5 now!

That would be mildly amusing if it got to No.1 as Xfactor will have done themselves out of the spot by getting Joe to cover it yesterday. Anyways I still prefer the Family Guy version.

"Just a small town girl...livin' in a lonely woorrrrld!!" 80's power ballads rock.

I saw Rage Against the Machine in concert back in the 90's "yay"

The song 'killing in the name of' is very appropriate IMO, you can easily imagine that the lyrics were written especially fo the X-Factor!

:)

I'm off now to listen to some Rage and some Journey, I'd love to see 'Don't Stop Believing' hitting number 1 too.

The version on X-Factor was rank, a key factor in that song is the huge piano bassline, they had reduced it to a weak background percussion. :(

Last edited:
Hmm.

The journey one actually intrigues me. It would be an interesting phenomenon (apart from the x-factor shite) if groups of people got together and just made some random old track number1.

Anything to **** up the record companies.

'Don't stop, believing...'

Rock anthem outselling X Factor winner Joe McElderry

Rock band Rage Against The Machine is ahead of X Factor winner Joe McElderry in the race for the Christmas number one, early sales figures suggest.

A Facebook group aiming to get the band's 1992 hit Killing In The Name to the top of the festive chart has attracted more than 750,000 members.

But McElderry's debut The Climb, out on CD on Wednesday, is expected to catch up by the weekend.

The Official Charts Company (OCC) said it is "a very exciting battle".

Campaign criticism

It is understood that there is a 10% margin in sales between the two singles after Sunday and Monday.

McElderry's song was released digitally after his victory in the X Factor final, while Rage Against The Machine has been out almost twice as long.

X Factor judge Simon Cowell has criticised the internet campaign, calling it "stupid".

Prior to the final of the ITV talent show, he said: "I think the campaign's aimed directly at me."

The Facebook page includes a link to homeless charity site Shelter, which has raised nearly £30,000 in donations.

Rage Against The Machine, meanwhile, are signed to Epic Records, which is part of Sony BMG, the same label as McElderry.

The OCC's Martin Talbot said "two different records have captured the nation's imagination".

"According to our initial sales estimates, there is no doubt that this tussle is far from over," he added.

Story from BBC NEWS:
BBC News - Rock anthem outselling X Factor winner Joe McElderry

Published: 2009/12/15 11:30:33 GMT

© BBC MMIX

ive tried 4 different sites from the list, and either get 'your order cannot be completed' or 'The item(s) you have selected are currently not available for download.'

what a fkin con

Also PLEASE REMEMBER: as the original group said, along with the purchase of the track could you please donate to the charity shelter because its all part of the cause and no one should be without a roof over their head this christmas

Tracy Morter is fundraising for Shelter - JustGiving

So far over £32,000 raised.

The accurate listings are here if anyone else is interested

Not very accurate if the news is anything to go by. The press release for midweek results have RATM ahead in the charts by around 10% (5-6k units)

29p too much if you ask me, xfactor song might be w@nk but its as w@nk as ratm.

who gives a toss whats at number 1 anyway, i dont as 90% of the songs that hit number 1 are w@nk in my opinion.

teen pop songs mostly.

i also highly doubt most on here pay for there music lol.

nothing in this world can be as wank as a xfactor song-i for one will buy 10 ratm from amazon,id would just tickle me to have a track like that at number 1--there are much better ratm songs but killing is the most famous

id personally like the second track down to be no 1 some xmas

hmv.com: Music CDs, DVDs, Games & More

santa is a fat bitch

Back