Radiators....

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So...naturally us men (or most of us) generally understand the concept of central heating, thermostats and what purpose they serve, but obviously for some women, such as Mr's Exos it's completely lost on her....

Scenario: I've just finished hanging some new rads, changing all the valves and lockshields over for new ones and flushed out the system after it having x400 in for a few months, I had them on for a few hours to check for leaks and the house is nice and toasty.

Mrs E: There something wrong with the central heating.
Me: Huh, what do you mean
Mrs E: Well it's just not getting hot tonight, the timer is set for it to come on, but they are warm and it keeps going off...
Me: It's probably because it isn't that cold and the thermostat is only set to 20 degrees.
Mrs E: Well i set it so the timer is on, so it should be on...
Me: No, that's not how it works, it will only actually come on when the temperature drops below what it's set to for the rooms...
Mrs E: Well the timer is on, why isn't it on. The boiler is just not heating the radiators...
Me: No, it's on like I said the temperature inside is fine, so it will only come on when it drops below it.
Mrs E: *mumble* it's crap, there's obviously something wrong with it.
Me: There is nothing wrong with it, in fact it's working better than before, no strange hissing etc. and the valves are set so that it's not getting roasting upstairs but cold downstairs...
Mrs E: its stupid, its bloody cold, i made sure i set the timer so it should be on now, it must be faulty....
Me: .....opens mouth to explain again...sighs...goes back to my computer

Last edited:
i feel your pain lol My wife thinks if you turn the stat up full you heat the place up quicker

30 degrees apparently is the only way to ensure that the radiators stay on constantly and if I'm hot I need to take my top off or go out...

:eh?:

30 degrees apparently is the only way to ensure that the radiators stay on constantly and if I'm hot I need to take my top off or go out...

:eh?:

Yep God fooked that one up it should have been the other way about :)

just turn it up 1 degree so that she can feel the rads coming on and she will be happy again :)

for a short while anyways :Laugh:

Even had the cavity wall's filled, obviously the other concept of heating bills is also lost on her....

21 could be pushing it Ratt's, I mean when they do come on flaying the skin off your fingers isn't hot enough also...

So...naturally us men (or most of us) generally understand the concept of central heating, thermostats and what purpose they serve, but obviously for some women, such as Mr's Exos it's completely lost on her....

Scenario: I've just finished hanging some new rads, changing all the valves and lockshields over for new ones and flushed out the system after it having x400 in for a few months, I had them on for a few hours to check for leaks and the house is nice and toasty.

Mrs E: There something wrong with the central heating.
Me: Huh, what do you mean
Mrs E: Well it's just not getting hot tonight, the timer is set for it to come on, but they are warm and it keeps going off...
Me: It's probably because it isn't that cold and the thermostat is only set to 20 degrees.
Mrs E: Well i set it so the timer is on, so it should be on...
Me: No, that's not how it works, it will only actually come on when the temperature drops below what it's set to for the rooms...
Mrs E: Well the timer is on, why isn't it on. The boiler is just not heating the radiators...
Me: No, it's on like I said the temperature inside is fine, so it will only come on when it drops below it.
Mrs E: *mumble* it's crap, there's obviously something wrong with it.
Me: There is nothing wrong with it, in fact it's working better than before, no strange hissing etc. and the valves are set so that it's not getting roasting upstairs but cold downstairs...
Mrs E: its stupid, its bloody cold, i made sure i set the timer so it should be on now, it must be faulty....
Me: .....opens mouth to explain again...sighs...goes back to my computer

Yer lucky! She knows about radiators! Just explaining the principle of the abacus here ;(

Yer lucky! She knows about radiators! Just explaining the principle of the abacus here ;(

It isn't the first time I've had the conversation....i don't know if it's ignorance or she's doing it to deliberately wind me up...

It isn't the first time I've had the conversation....i don't know if it's ignorance or she's doing it to deliberately wind me up...

I would be assuming the former, having just spent the last half hour opening a filing cabinet that had a notice on that clearly said 'do not place anything above this level'...

...she did, the drawer jammed, there are lots of bits to take off to get the fooker apart...

Oh well, I'd comment but this ain't the Adult Room ;)

I feel your pain as I sit here every night sweating and listening to the missus complaining that she's still cold, as 20 degrees just isn't warm enough. I have tried explaining that it's only 20 degrees where the thermostat is as that's the coldest room in the house and everywhere else is 23-24, but no her little toes are cold so it's obviously not warm enough for her. I keep telling her to go and see the Doctor as it happens year in year out or at the very least put a ****in jumper on as I'm sitting here in shorts & T-shirt with the window open just to keep cool, whilst she's sat in the living room enjoying a mini heat wave. I think I need to get rid of her and marry an Eskimo.

Regards

Liam

Buy a second tv preferably a smart download the burning log screensaver have it running 24/7 that should warm her up...:Jester:

i'm a gas engineer and i totally understand where you are coming from

There is no point trying to explain they would be none the wiser,just tell her to put the room stat up to 30 degrees and then i'm sure she would work it out eventually.

How the informed laugh at the ignorant

dont know how the fook to use mine proper lol,lost the manuals,i just usually put on boost for an hour pmsl

Back