Racist Jokes - Are they allowed?

A question to the Scottish contingent on the forum, there are loads of you, the age old jokes about Scottish men and them being careful with their money , ie short arms and long pockets etc is that type of joke racist ? or is it poking fun at a stereo type.....

I always thought it was the truth and now I find out its supposed to be a joke........:proud:

I will get my coat before Braveheart slays me

It is definatley a bad racist joke - as stated it is funny with scouser, english, irish, scottish, gaswegian, hippie, etc instead of the n word. and no one is directly being racist towards another member. I think everyone is very over sensitive towards stuff that is banter towards other races. As always with these kind of things 50% of people will be offended by it and 50% will find it funny - but admitidly in extremely poor taste.

To the 50% that are offended I apologise for posting it - but not for finding it quite funny when I heard it the first time and appreciate that with actual bullying racists out there that everyone has to cope with on a day to day basis sometimes the line can get blurred between poor taste humour and people being vile

somehow jokes told by somebody of that colour, race, creed, minority group etc seems to be accepted.

recently i watched Chris Rock live in stand-up, i cant remember the city. i found it very funny he was seriously taking the pee out of the afro Americans and those big fat mumas and their men folk in the audience where lapping it up.

the next night i watched Jackie Mason who ripped to shreds the Jewish community again i found very funny, and very different to Rock.

but had a white C of E comedian got up and told the same jokes one they wouldn't have been funny and two he would have been labled a racist.

strange old world

It is definatley a bad racist joke - as stated it is funny with scouser, english, irish, scottish, gaswegian, hippie, etc instead of the n word. and no one is directly being racist towards another member. I think everyone is very over sensitive towards stuff that is banter towards other races. As always with these kind of things 50% of people will be offended by it and 50% will find it funny - but admitidly in extremely poor taste.

your right m8, we used to be able to laugh at ourselves, but things changed and it wasnt the scouser, english, irish, scottish, gaswegian, hippie, etc that said they were offended.

We are over sensitive and you have to take things into context. Now i am not scared of using the word nigger, rappers do it all the time however if you put an expletive after it then it becomess racist.

When i was a kid we used to call people black bastards but it was not because of their skin colour, **** we never had any coloured ppl where i grew up, it was because they were bogin or manky.

i am of the mind where you should be able to say what you want and if it pisses someone off then so be it, it a free country they have the freedom to come back and say what they want and if it offends me then fair do's but to tip-toe around every single creed, race religeon is bull imho

your right m8, we used to be able to laugh at ourselves, but things changed and it wasnt the scouser, english, irish, scottish, gaswegian, hippie, etc that said they were offended.

We are over sensitive and you have to take things into context. Now i am not scared of using the word nigger, rappers do it all the time however if you put an expletive after it then it becomess racist.

When i was a kid we used to call people black bastards but it was not because of their skin colour, **** we never had any coloured ppl where i grew up, it was because they were bogin or manky.

i am of the mind where you should be able to say what you want and if it pisses someone off then so be it, it a free country they have the freedom to come back and say what they want and if it offends me then fair do's but to tip-toe around every single creed, race religeon is bull imho

I thought it was in bad taste and im a white scottish bloke.
Expecting someone not to post racist jokes is not asking them to tip toe round creeds or races etc. Its just something that has never been done on Dw since ive been here. We are a multicultured community so lets keep the gutter jokes off the forum if people want to hear them then im sure they can just buy a chubby dvd or a Bernard Manning one.

Whats next will it be ok to tell sick jokes about the disabled etc.

Davidh i hear what your saying m8 but jokes as against scousers or mancs or londoners or us jocks is more like banter.

Thats very well put m8

btw I have removed the joke

I thought it was in bad taste and im a white scottish bloke.
Expecting someone not to post racist jokes is not asking them to tip toe round creeds or races etc. Its just something that has never been done on Dw since ive been here. We are a multicultured community so lets keep the gutter jokes off the forum if people want to hear them then im sure they can just buy a chubby dvd or a Bernard Manning one.

Whats next will it be ok to tell sick jokes about the disabled etc.

Davidh i hear what your saying m8 but jokes as against scousers or mancs or londoners or us jocks is more like banter.

i agree also m8 i am not canvasing for racist jokes to be heard on this board but sometime it better to see people for what they really are then we can all make our own minds up about them and i dont just mean on a forum but in every day life.

it like a choice thing some ppl would like chubby brown but if people dont then they do not have to watch him but put him on TV and people can see for themselves if they want to.

i agree also m8 i am not canvasing for racist jokes to be heard on this board but sometime it better to see people for what they really are then we can all make our own minds up about them and i dont just mean on a forum but in every day life.

it like a choice thing some ppl would like chubby brown but if people dont then they do not have to watch him but put him on TV and people can see for themselves if they want to.

Yep i see your point m8 so it begs the question , How many closet racist do we have as members?
Maybe we should have a poll.

I agree with your sentiment entirely but I really think the difference between racism and banter is a fine one - and the fact british humour is very dry witted dosent help much.
I believe anything said out of spite and hatred towards any individual, race, gender, sexual preference or lifestyle choice of any kind is totally unacceptable.

However do they think they should stop reruns of carry on films, upstairs downstairs, fawlty towers, only fools and horses etc with light hearted racial jokes in (possibly with the exception of upstairs downstairs that was blatantly racist.)
Not to mention every british stand up I have ever seen with the exception of jack dee?

I agree with your sentiment entirely but I really think the difference between racism and banter is a fine one - and the fact british humour is very dry witted dosent help much.
I believe anything said out of spite and hatred towards any individual, race, gender, sexual preference or lifestyle choice of any kind is totally unacceptable.

However do they think they should stop reruns of carry on films, upstairs downstairs, fawlty towers, only fools and horses etc with light hearted racial jokes in (possibly with the exception of upstairs downstairs that was blatantly racist.)
Not to mention every british stand up I have ever seen with the exception of jack dee?

Yep fair point too m8
I remember love thy neighbour and till death us do part and yes i did find them funny but they were done in a way that you were laughing at the racist and not the racist remarks. It was all clever stuff, but unfortunately the world is a changed place since then.

i think all this 'racist' crap has gone over the top

if ten black kids kick the shit out of a white nerdy kid, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and got caught in gang culture thats affecting our youth today

if ten white kids kick the shit out of a nerdy black kid, it was a brutal racist attack and is a sickening example of out youth today

a jokes a joke, whether it offends you or if you crack your skull open on the edge of the table from laughing so hard

nobody takes offence at jokes about scousersm jocks, paddys, taffys or anything else thats white, cos we're not so hung up on ourselfs and always wanting to play the victim

fukin racism, my nut sack, it doesnt exist, unless youre white and someone who isnt wants to try and get one up on you by calling you a racist

no more black boards, but white boards are ok, no more bah bah black sheep, no golliwogs on marmalade jars, the list is endless, and its all crap

i think all this 'racist' crap has gone over the top

if ten black kids kick the shit out of a white nerdy kid, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and got caught in gang culture thats affecting our youth today

if ten white kids kick the shit out of a nerdy black kid, it was a brutal racist attack and is a sickening example of out youth today

a jokes a joke, whether it offends you or if you crack your skull open on the edge of the table from laughing so hard

nobody takes offence at jokes about scousersm jocks, paddys, taffys or anything else thats white, cos we're not so hung up on ourselfs and always wanting to play the victim

fukin racism, my nut sack, it doesnt exist, unless youre white and someone who isnt wants to try and get one up on you by calling you a racist

no more black boards, but white boards are ok, no more bah bah black sheep, no golliwogs on marmalade jars, the list is endless, and its all crap

All valid points Digidude my wife and i were discussing similar last night we were talking about sweets and digressed onto pc and psudeo racism brought about by black jacks (remember that sweet) still maybe it should be jokes in bad taste that are discouraged or do we just go for broke and allow a free for all. And if you dont like it dont read it?
That seems to be the concesus of opinion.

P.S. im not inferring anyone is racist

All valid points Digidude my wife and i were discussing similar last night we were talking about sweets and digressed onto pc and psudeo racism brought about by black jacks (remember that sweet) still maybe it should be jokes in bad taste that are discouraged or do we just go for broke and allow a free for all. And if you dont like it dont read it?
That seems to be the concesus of opinion.

P.S. im not inferring anyone is racist

and thats just the thing, people will twist anything to MAKE it racist if it suits them

when my dreambox goes tits up, i call it all the little black and silver bastads going, people will be thinking 'omg, thats racist, you cant call it that' why the fook not? its a black and silver box

when my wii goes pear shaped and im screaming 'you fkin white peice of shit' do people think im screaming racist comments then??? no im just annoyed with a WHITE box

think of all the 'racist' things that have been banned or renamed due to having specific words in them, yet they dont do it for white

its pathetic

Back