Quinn pays bill for stranded fans

Biggav

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hats off to him great PR exercise and something the toon would never dream of doing

why were they not flying back to sunderland airport though instead of having to use Newcastle???

Quinn pays bill for stranded fans

Niall Quinn stayed until all the fans had boarded the taxis
Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn paid out £8,000 in taxi fares after about 80 fans were left stranded at Bristol Airport when a flight was grounded.
Quinn was on the Easyjet plane when police ejected a group of supporters that the pilot had alleged were drunk.

The Saturday night flight was later cancelled so the chairman booked a fleet of 18 taxis to make the 300 mile trip back to the north-east.

The fans were returning after the club's 1-0 victory over Cardiff City.

Quinn, who used the club's money to pay for the taxis, stayed to make sure everyone was safe before getting in the last taxi, arriving home on Sunday morning.

Quinn made a speech when we came off the plane and you could have heard a pin drop, everybody was in awe of him

Sunderland Fan Steve Dean

He said the airline had over-reacted in cancelling the Newcastle bound flight.

"Myself and members of my staff were on this flight and we vehemently oppose the airline's view that there was disruptive behaviour onboard," he said.

"The mood was humorous and everyone was in good spirits after our fine victory.

"The club was happy to provide transport for the group, which included children, elderly and disabled fans as their safety and well-being was paramount."

'Zero-tolerance'

Witness Steve Dean, 48, secretary of the Jarrow branch of the SAFC Supporters' Association, said Quinn had spoken up for fans when they were being ejected from the plane, before the flight was finally cancelled.

"He told the crew 'These are my people, you cannot treat them like that'.

"He made a speech when we came off the plane and you could have heard a pin drop, everybody was in awe of him."

An Easyjet spokesman said it had a zero-tolerance policy towards any unacceptable behaviour onboard flights.

It had offered passengers not involved in the incident a free transfer onto the next available flight and hotel accommodation.

Avon and Somerset Police said no arrests were made.

Quinn, a former Manchester City and Sunderland striker, donated about £1m from the proceeds of his testimonial match to charity in 2002.

The Irishman became the Wearside club's chairman after heading a consortium which bought out former owner Bob Murray last year.

how many owners would do that just goes to show that he loves the club and fans

my hats off to him

good man really is a good thing can't think of many people who would do that!!!: whip : : whip :

agree tthere arent many chairmen who would do this. He's a Credit to his club, supporters and football in general.

only other guy I can think of along similar lines is the Gretna chairman.

He was in a opposing fans local pub, got talking to an opposing fan who was in their clubs supporters trust. the trust wanted to buy 25% state in their local footie team but couldnt afford it. Gretna chairman produced his cheque book and wrote a cheque for something like £15000 towards it. stayed in contact with the fan and when was told they still hadnt raised enough money for the stake. sent them another cheque for the remainder. " He believes the clubs belong to the fans and towns and they should have a say in how they are run.

Well disappointed with the city-sunderland result in these parts........BUT

What a gesture from NIALL QUINN.........He is a top man for his actions!

If only there were more like him around......

maybe he can single handedly build you an airport as well so you dont have to use the one at either of your local neighbours. After all you have your own cinema now why stop there when things are looking up.

Back