Questions About Spiderbox

Sturrurr

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello,

I am all new to this so I do apologise in advance if I sound dumb.

What I would like to know is if there are 10,000 channels do you get American channels like ABC, Fox, CW, CBS as well as channels from the UK like SKY Sports, SKY Movies and all the entertainment packages? I live in the UK and SKY is so expensive that I have had to half the bill recently, so I have been looking for alternatives to SKY and a guy I know recommended the Spiderbox. I will be honest and say I don't have a clue about this system.

I have paid for packages online in the past and the channels were always offline. Are these channels a direct broadcast from the TV? So they are reliable? and it's not going to cut off mid way through a programme? What I'm trying to get at is that I would like a system that replaces my SKY box permanently, and if this can get UK channels as well as American channels and the box/broadcasts are stable, I might purchase one. Another question I wanted to ask is what is the quality picture like? Is it HD and standard like any satellite/cable provider? Or can the quality be worse? Also can you record on the 9900 box? Comes with an harddrive etc? I did look at a PDF file on the internet, but I didn't see any recording function capabilities mentioned. Lastly is it easy to setup? As I'm not the brainiest at technology ;).

I would also like to know if these boxes are legit? I suppose it doesn't matter either way, but it's still something I would like to know, and also is there any chance these boxes can be shutdown and not be able to be used again?

I would really like to know this before purchasing as I don't want to be buying something that will turn out to be something I didn't expect.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
You cannot receive satellite broadcasts beamed to the USA as the satellites are located below the horizon in the UK
Generally speaking, with a suitably sized, motorised dish (say 1M-1.2M) you should be able to receive satellites located between 45E - 45W - but this depends on your line-of-sight to those satellites as well as if the beam covers the UK.

Have a look at sites such as lyngsat and king of sat to see the coverage of various satellites and an approximate size of dish required.

Hello,

What I would like to know is if there are 10,000 channels do you get American channels like ABC, Fox, CW, CBS as well as channels from the UK like SKY Sports, SKY Movies and all the entertainment packages? I live in the UK and SKY is so expensive that I have had to half the bill recently, so I have been looking for alternatives to SKY and a guy I know recommended the Spiderbox. I will be honest and say I don't have a clue about this system.

I have paid for packages online in the past and the channels were always offline. Are these channels a direct broadcast from the TV? So they are reliable? and it's not going to cut off mid way through a programme? What I'm trying to get at is that I would like a system that replaces my SKY box permanently, and if this can get UK channels as well as American channels and the box/broadcasts are stable, I might purchase one. Another question I wanted to ask is what is the quality picture like? Is it HD and standard like any satellite/cable provider? Or can the quality be worse? Also can you record on the 9900 box? Comes with an harddrive etc? I did look at a PDF file on the internet, but I didn't see any recording function capabilities mentioned. Lastly is it easy to setup? As I'm not the brainiest at technology ;).

I would also like to know if these boxes are legit? I suppose it doesn't matter either way, but it's still something I would like to know, and also is there any chance these boxes can be shutdown and not be able to be used again?

I would really like to know this before purchasing as I don't want to be buying something that will turn out to be something I didn't expect.

Thank you in advance.

My advice would be do lot's of research into equipment before you buy, linux based recievers will give you more functionality but have a slightly bigger learning curve than say a spiderbox that has patches. But you have the ability to customise the box how you want it. As for recording you may want to look into twin tuner recievers so that you can record one channel while watching another, with single tuner recievers you can only watch another channel that is on the same transponder. VU+ DUO clones can now be bought fairly cheap compared to originals. You can also get dm800se clones very cheap but they are single tuner.

Take your time shop around and then come back and ask more questions your at the best place to get up and running.

I have paid for packages online in the past and the channels were always offline. Are these channels a direct broadcast from the TV? So they are reliable? and it's not going to cut off mid way through a programme? What I'm trying to get at is that I would like a system that replaces my SKY box permanently, and if this can get UK channels as well as American channels and the box/broadcasts are stable, I might purchase one.
Another question I wanted to ask is what is the quality picture like? Is it HD and standard like any satellite/cable provider? Or can the quality be worse? Also can you record on the 9900 box? Comes with an harddrive etc? I did look at a PDF file on the internet, but I didn't see any recording function capabilities mentioned. Lastly is it easy to setup? As I'm not the brainiest at technology ;).

As mentioned previously forget American broadcasts for the reasons given.
With the appropriate patches loaded and connected to your router the Spiderbox will give access to hundreds of channels in addition to all the FTA channels.
Read this thread https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/281056/

Also read *all* of the stickies at the beginning of this forum, in particular
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/235147/
and
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/260752/

The picture quality of the Spiderbox is excellent and it has been said that the HD picture is better than a S*y box

As sargie said the key is research ........all the info is there if you look. I've never regretted for one moment gettinga a Spiderbox

Last edited by a moderator:
No method of viewing subscription channels WITHOUT a valid subscription is legal. When sold the Spiderbox and other receivers are FTA (free to air) only and quite rightly so, if the user changes the software to view encrypted channels then thats his business and not the suppliers. The suppliers are not responsible if a user changes the software.
Having said that the Spiderbox is a very well made receiver and produces a superb HD picture.

Hello,

Thank you in advance.

Hi, I've been using a spiderbox 9000 HD without any glitch problems at all for two years now and have a sub*****tion I use it to view s_y and other European satellite stations through using a c_i_e.
Mine costs slightly more than s_y uk charge a month for a full package and I get it for a 6 month period. Estimated saving of £630 a year. All HD channels are open.
The picture quality is brilliant better than s_y as people have said previously.
I record onto a 32gb memory stick but believe you can add and external hard drive if that's what you require.
You don't say what you actually want to watch through the receiver. The box can be connected to an existing s_y dish or as I have a 1m motorised system.
I hope this info helps you a little

Start recording onto my hard drive then will be good for when am at sea

Back