Putting new hard drive in

Exclusive

DW Regular
Reaction score
Got my self another hard drive, so i want to put this in my pc rite now :)

so far it has,

Hard drive
Dvd rom
dvd Writer

how shall i wire the new one up, so i can have 2 hard drives

also, can i jus put it in, or do i have to format it etc

Depending on the make/model of drive you might have to use the brands own utility for setting up the drive first.

hard drive

its not bios hard drive is being seen.
you need to run fdisk and use full amount of hard drive
then format it
if you have as i think you said a 31gig partion on the hard drive then to have one partion of the full size of the had drive you will have to delete the 31gig partion and start again or use partion magic to resize the drive.
leggoman

ok this is wat i have, 1 80gb with all my stuff one, and another 80gb which am tryin 2 sort out, its only showin around 31gig

so i did fdisk, deleted it, and set up partition,

but how can i format it now

i used to do this

format c: /s

but the new drive is f

so when i try

format f: /s it says can not format a network drive

hi riksta (why did u change your name ?) :)

the problem with running format from fdd is u are formatting as fat32 probably and assuming u r running some flavour of xp u r best formatting as ntfs. u can do this with xp as stated previously or with partition magic or similat utility.

it dont sound like a bios issue if u already have a 80g hdd on the machine. but what could be causing a problem is if your original hdd is a ata100..

also as ststed in previous posts wheather u have 2xhdd and 2xdvd/cd or split is a matter of pesonal choice, if u r intersted in speed the dont put opticals with hdd cos they will slow down, if u gonna do many cd to cd copies then u should keep them apart......

what i would do is

run fdisk and remove all partions (if ntfs will show as non-dos)

remove both cd drives

plug New hdd on secondary ide chanel as master

then fire up o/s and format in disk management

if this is ok the its an issue of the drives working together.

cheers hatab, will try that 2mo

could i do this,

remove everything, put in new hard drive and format that, so it shows 80gig

then once format everything is done, just add it as a slave ?

and everything was nfts

thats your problem

1 its gonna format as fat 32 or poss fat 16

2 win98 had limit of 32 g drives

use that fdd to remove all partitions

then do what i said in previous post with drive as master on second ide port

if u used that fdd on the the original 80g hdd it will have been sorted by xp install process

Look, I maybe drunk this time of night, but for anything more thae than 8GB, you are always better to use the brands own utility to set up the disk. Once you have done this, the start looking at other issues.

Be smart, think simple first. Once you get the drive as the manufacturer thought u should have it then start playing.

Back