Putting new hard drive in

Exclusive

DW Regular
Reaction score
Got my self another hard drive, so i want to put this in my pc rite now :)

so far it has,

Hard drive
Dvd rom
dvd Writer

how shall i wire the new one up, so i can have 2 hard drives

also, can i jus put it in, or do i have to format it etc

2 hard drive on one cable and 2 cdrom drives on other, you can use any combination aslong as its set up master and slave on each cable.

I would recommend having one hard drive and one CD/DVD on one channel and the same on the other, your best not to have 2 CD/DVDs on the same ribbon/channel ;)

yea thats wat i thought bronto, but thanks both, will give it ago see wat happens

and i like the ;) bronto

lol

Agree with Bronto. If you want to do CD copies "on the fly" you are much better having the CD/DVD drives on different channels.

new hard drive

Hi
could do with some more info but:

you will have to look at your ide cables in your computer to see what lead has a free ide conector.

if you have your dvd rom and dvd write on one cable then you new hard drive needs to be set as slave.

look on the back of you new hard drive you will see some small jumpers on the top of the drive you will see how to set the drive to master or slave.
also if you look on the ide cable on one side should be a red line this is marked to show pin one.

so to fitting
you will see in side you should have a spare power lead if not you will need to get a spliter.

if you are ok on that then it just down to finding room to put your hard drive in, connect the ide lead it should only go in one way the power cable is shaped and will only go in one way.

cheeck all your leads if your happy you can power up your computer, holding F1 or DEL to take you to your bios settings

look for the sitting that show your first hard drive and your dvds if all is ok you should also see your new hard drive, if not check ide cable is the right way round and that it is set to slave if it is used as a second drive on the ide lead or master if the first drive on ide lead.

exit and save settings and let the computer reboot.

if all is ok you should see your new hard drive letter added to what ever file manager you use.

if not then this can be down to slave or master not set right, or that the drive needs to be formated.

you may be lucky and windows will say found new hard ware and needs formatting.

if not then you will have to use fdisk or partion magic.

but would need to know that the above has seen your hard drive. before can go on really.

also need to know size of hard drive and os you are using.

best of luck
hope this is of help

leggoman

cheers,

ok, i have conected it up, 2hard drives and 2 dvd/cd

i cnt do it the other way :(

the hard drive shows in bios but i cnt see it in My computer, i cnt find n e hwere 2 format it

you will need to create a partition, use fdisk to create the new partition on the drive

Hi Ricksta, if you have a dvd/cd drive and a hard drive on the same ide channel you may find the performance is dropped by the hard drive, you would be better having your hard drives on the same port as other devices will slow the transfer rate on the port... on the fly copying on cd drives is dodgy at the best of times and not recommended...

If your on xp right click on the MY Computer Icon, select manage, select disk managment you can partition and format the new drive from there

Bronto said:
I would recommend having one hard drive and one CD/DVD on one channel and the same on the other, your best not to have 2 CD/DVDs on the same ribbon/channel ;)

Whuys that m8 I never done it that way???

bluesboy said:
Whuys that m8 I never done it that way???
a lot of the main copy programs recommend you don't have 2 cd/dvd devices on the same channel as it can interfere with the copying especially "on the fly" recording, I've always had my cd/dvd devices on different channels, I suppose it's a matter of preference

reddevil said:
If your on xp right click on the MY Computer Icon, select manage, select disk managment you can partition and format the new drive from there

ok i have done that, but its a 80gb hard drive, but only showing around 31.gig

hard drive troubles

i had similar probs , bought a cheap raid card can now use up to four extra ide devices without using the onboard ide channels , the make was promise , if you dont go the setup menu it simply behaves as extra ide ports

Check the jumpers are set correctly...There is a 32gb limiter on some hard drives if you moved the jumper move it back and use Cable Select position if your motherboard is 2 yrs old or less it should support this.

Back