Pudding

fatspanner

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just had my lunch while working in Blackpool

Menu
Steak and kidney PIE n chips.

What did i get, something called a fooking pudding :licker:. It was some seriously lame excuse of a pie. When as a pie been soggy!!

I thought pudding was something you had after the main meal.

Theres some sick people out there!!

well you can but it makes a bit of a mess lol

I went to visit some people in Scotland a few years back and they invited us round for breakfast .Guess what was on the plate ? yup haggis , i nearly died but i ate it and its really good now i love the stuff

I went to visit some people in Scotland a few years back and they invited us round for breakfast .Guess what was on the plate ? yup haggis , i nearly died but i ate it and its really good now i love the stuff

ahh but do you mean that round stuff that looks like sausage? or the real thing that you boil in the pan ?

it;s got to be the full on bifta which you boil in the pan
haggis m8 can't beat it

by mashed turnip he of course means mashed swede for all u southerners lol

Just had my lunch while working in Blackpool

Menu
Steak and kidney PIE n chips.

What did i get, something called a fooking pudding :licker:. It was some seriously lame excuse of a pie. When as a pie been soggy!!

I thought pudding was something you had after the main meal.

Theres some sick people out there!!

Missed this yesterday fats m8
A pie and a pudding are two different things.
A pie has a pastry case where as pudding is more suit based.
In Bolton they are known as a babbies yed.............or babies head.........as they are similar in size lol
Just ask for babbies yed un chips next time you're in Blackpool and see what you get lol

Cur1y

we dont eat weird stuff in lancashire we eat just normal food compared to other countries.

steak and kidney pudding is nice but not to keen on kidneys so i stick to my meat and potatoe pies lol.

nah best ever food is tuna and mayo jacket potatoes and u cant beat a chicken tikka masala curry or a good old english curry.

they are not known as babbie yeds in bolton at all there just known as pie and puddings so what are you going on about babbie yeds thats a lie my boyfriends mum and dad live in bolton and we have even lived up there with them, it just normal pudding and pies.although in bolton a muffin is known as a bap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmmn - Doubt i'll be asking for Babies yed anymore, how they make them so soggy, are they boiled or something?

I may have to make my own dictionary for travelling the worst is trying to ask for a cob, so many names, i get a blank stare when i mention cob:

Barm
Bread Cake
butty
Cob
Bun

If i asked for babbies yed, tatties n yeep. They'd think i'd lost it round my way, lol

they are not known as babbie yeds in bolton at all there just known as pie and puddings so what are you going on about babbie yeds thats a lie my boyfriends mum and dad live in bolton and we have even lived up there with them, it just normal pudding and pies.although in bolton a muffin is known as a bap.

Why would I lie ?????
I'm not suggesting that it says babbies yed on the menu, it's just a colloquialism.
Try asking Mikeeyb's mum and dad what a babbies yed is.

And it's a barm not a bap

Cur1y

Edit:
From Andy Upshall, Horwich, Bolton, Greater Manchester.
kippered=tired, peppered=no money, clempt=hungry, chauv=to annoy someone, lothered=sweating, gradely folk=nice people, and at a chippy in walkden I heard a bloke say, babbies yed and pey wet un a smack bottom= steak pudding and pea juice and a scollop(potato fritter) and an oven bottom(large flat barmcake).

Taken from the BBC Manchester website

Seams they say the same in Wigan too.....

Barry Foster wrote...

Hi Steve, just been reading the Wigan Observer (27.6.06) with regard to a "mixture". Aa far as I know, chips and peas are a mixture. Also, asking for a babbies' yed and chips, and asking to leave th'elmet on. This de-codes as steak pudding and chips, leaving the foil on. Thanks for rekindling some great memories, walking home after Youth Club and needing to enter Jack's Chippy on the main road in Goose Green. Fantastic!
REGAN REPLIES:Cheers, Barry. I have similar memories, but from Beech Hill. For none-Wiganers, a "babbies' yed" is a baby's head, which resembles a steak pudding.

From here.

Good old Google !!!

Last edited:
Mmmmn - Doubt i'll be asking for Babies yed anymore, how they make them so soggy, are they boiled or something?

I may have to make my own dictionary for travelling the worst is trying to ask for a cob, so many names, i get a blank stare when i mention cob:

Barm
Bread Cake
butty
Cob
Bun

If i asked for babbies yed, tatties n yeep. They'd think i'd lost it round my way, lol

Some call them tea cakes as well, but in Bolton a tea cake has currents in it.
I once worked in Preston and they called it a bappen or something

Cur1y

Back