PS3 Guide Running any +3.42 game in a 3.41 console

janobi

Janet to us
VIP Member
Reaction score
For this work, you need the following :
- Hermes v4b ( download it from here _http://www.ps3-hacks.com/download.php?id=171 ) , Hermes v4 will do the job also. Just update your board with the correct Hex file.

- Open Manager v1.17.1 _http://www.ps3-hacks.com/download.php?id=147 or Open Manager 2.1 , or Gaia Manager v1.0 RC9 _http://www.ps3-hacks.com/download.php?id=167
Any of this managers will do the job, it is just your taste and what suits you best.

- PS3SFOEdit tool for editing the param.sfo file of any new game by yourself _http://www.ps3news.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19044

Let's get started :

1- Delete any data files of the game that you are trying to run, if there are any datas installed.

PS : Additional step - Specially for Medal of Honor game, download the correct region 1.01 patch for your MOH game, if you have the USA version, then download it from here _http://b0.ww.np.dl.playstation.net/tppkg/np/BLUS30436/BLUS30436_T0/e90bbcade29dd158/UP0006-BLUS30436_00-MOHPATCHNAV00001-A0101-V0100-PE.pkg
If you have the Europe version, then download it from here _http://b0.ww.np.dl.playstation.net/tppkg/np/BLES00860/BLES00860_T0/636ffafe5194764e/EP0006-BLES00860_00-MOHPATCHEU1V0001-A0101-V0100-PE.pkg?product=0085
Put this patch in a root of any USB stick or USB FAT32 HDD, then run it using the "PKG installing" menu.

2- After you saved the folder of a specific game in your PC, start the PS3SFOEdit tool as you can see in this screen
img_16976.jpg

3- Click on "Load" button, then browse to the specific game's folder, then inside PS3_GAME you will find the PARAM.SFO file, choose it.

4- After the PARAM.SFO file has been loaded, click on the "Advanced Edit" button. The following screen will appear
img_16976-2.jpg

5- You will now see the version of the Firmware that the game requires to run it in the following line "PS3_SYSTEM_VER" , the number on the right like 03.4200 means it requires 3.42 .
Click with the mouse button on that number, and edit it to 3.41 or 3.40, so it will read like that 03.4000 .

6- Click on "OK(Save Changes)" button, then click on the "Save" button when you are at the main screen of the tool. Click "Yes" to replace the new edited and save it instead of the old one.

7- Run your favorite Manager after you jailbroken your PS3, I will use Gaia rc9 as example in this whole Guide.

8- Very Important : Hit the START+SELECT buttons on your controller, a message will appear asking you if you want to install the games in "Laun1234" folder, click "NO" , then another message asks you if you want to install the games in "OMAN46756" folder, again click "NO", at the end it will tell you that the "GAMEZ" folder if the folder where the games will be installed. Click OK.
Note: This step is only needed when a game needs the "Patch Mode" to be enabled.

9- Now for more success, you have to transfer the whole game's folder to your internal using the built-in FTP server in your Gaia Manager or OM 1.7 and any FTP client in your PC like FileZilla.
Therefore run the Built-in FTP server inside it by hitting the "R1" button on your controller to enable it.

10- Transfer the whole folder to the following path of your PS3's internal HDD "/dev_hdd0/GAMEZ" , or else you will suffer of "No EBOOT.BIN found" message when you try to run the game, take this step very seriously. If you use other Manager than Gaia, then the path will be different, just read the Yellow notes at the bottom of this Guide.
Note: You have to take care of the exact folder ONLY when the game requires the "Patch Mode" to be enabled to run correctly.

11- After you finished transferring the whole folder, select the game in the Gaia's screen, then hit "L1" button on your controller to enable the "MEM patch" mode (This step is not necessary for all games, only for specific games like Medal of Honor, just try and run the game without first, if it doesn't work, enable the patch mode), then hit "X" button on your controller to start the game while any original game's Disc is in the tray .

12- If a message appears telling you that the EBOOT.BIN is not correct and if you want it corrects the permission for it, click YES.

13- In most cases, the game's datas needed to be installed, hit OK if it asks you that.. Then wait after the installation is finished, and ENJOY the game.

NOTE 1 : If you use Open Manager 1.7 , then the path that you have to transfer your games to is /dev_hdd0/game/OMAN46756/GAMEZ"

NOTE 2 : If you use any other manager than Gaia in our Guide, then some differences that you have to take care of, like the "Patch Mode" can be enabled using other button on the controller, or changing the folder where the games should be installed in, in Gaia is "SELECT+START" but in other Managers it is different, the OM 1.7 is "L2+START" buttons etc...

NOTE 3 : I tested this method on 2 new games which require at least 3.42 FW , "Medal of Honor" and "EA Sports MMA" , in MOH you have to enable the Patch Mode to run the game, else the system will freeze. While the MMA game by EA doesn't need the Patch mode to be installed, therefore step 11 is not needed with this game. Try any other new games by yourself and see if it requires a patch mode or not.

NOTE 4 : If you want to run the game from your USB FAT32 external HDD, then transfer the whole game's folder to "GAMEZ" folder in your USB HDD , and be sure that there is no single file bigger than 4 gb. Medal of Honor has a file called Install.PKG which is bigger than 4 gb , you can remove this file and transfer everything else to your USB HDD, it is not a part of the game, but an additional package which can be installed.

Note 5 : No need to replace or change the EBOOT.BIN file, there is no such a step needed for that.

Thanks to Thomas1234 for writing this original tutorial.

Re: [Guide] Running any +3.42 game in a 3.41 console

nice guide to follow but its abit of a chore doing all that isnt, however the games does look fantastic!

nice guide to follow but its abit of a chore doing all that isnt, however the games does look fantastic!

Its the begining of cat and mouse mate. Ask Bro and JTH the stuff we used to go through just to get PSP games working. Editing the ISO, swapping files, then rebuilding. Until CFW comes along, or they find a way around the fw updates, then this will have to do for now.

many thanks jan got it going. it isnt hard just follow the instructions exactly and your off.

hi,

I have borrowed an orignal copy of a game tv superstars which is asking to upgrade to 3.42 to work on my jailbroken 3.41 ps3. How can I edit the parmlib of an orignal game.

cheers

hi,

I have borrowed an orignal copy of a game tv superstars which is asking to upgrade to 3.42 to work on my jailbroken 3.41 ps3. How can I edit the parmlib of an orignal game.

cheers

You would need to rip the game and do it that way. But there are easier ways to play the latest games these days with custom firmware, check out some of the other stickies in this section.

Ok thanks mate if I update to custom firmware 3.55 will I have to also update my psgroove dongle. I have a phat style ps3 so hopefully I won't brick it. My daughter is driving me mad to get the newer games to work.

Cheers

you wont need the dongle anymore if you update.

Ok cheers can I just update to customer firmware 3.55 directly from 3.41. Also will backups still work as I've read they won't if you update to custom 3.55.

Ok cheers can I just update to customer firmware 3.55 directly from 3.41. Also will backups still work as I've read they won't if you update to custom 3.55.

I think you have to update to official 3.55 first, then kmeaws cfw.

Ok cheers will backups still work after I update.

Ok cheers will backups still work after I update.

You need to follow the threads/stickies here mate. And yes they will work, but you require loaders for them.

Back