Problem with several Firesticks got me stumped.

Arthur Daley

DW Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a very strange problem with my firesticks that I noticed yesterday.

On first bringing them out of sleep, after many days of not being used, they appeared as normal with all the usual menu items and of course Kodi, terrarium TV, etc. icons but once I went to settings, device then told it to restart, which I do from time to time, they have come back with no functionality whatsoever.

I have several of these around the house and they are all screwed in a similar way. Have they been blacklisted in some way? Has some new update blocked them for some reason? I am left with no alternative but to factory reset them and see if that does the trick.

Just wondered if anyone else has had similar problems? I have included photo of tv screen for info :)

Firestick Screen.jpg

Might just be a little groggy after the long sleep....:rolleyes:
Try rebooting it from the power and try not to leave them in sleep mode but with power off.

This one appears rather complicated. It's got something to do with my vpn. I route all such devices, like firesticks, through my cascaded openvpn router. Upon starting the firestick must check its connection out and for some unknown reason is not loading up the icons on home screen, as per usual.

If i connect firestick wirelessly to another router, such as VM Superhub, everything suddenly starts working as it should, including apps like Kodi. But if I close apps down, go straight into settings again on firestick, change back to vpn router and come back out it remains working as it should, as long as I don't reset firestick. But, if I then go into settings, device and reset the firestick it then refuses to function again on connection with vpn router.

This has me somewhat baffled at the moment. If you check the internet connection using the firestick it says there are no issues, yet clearly something is afoot :(

I've changed openvpn servers on router, to no avail, and a chat with vpn providers proved fruitless, so now I'm resetting one of the firesticks to see if it will work again if done from scratch.

I'll keep you informed of my progress :)

Unfortunately I have found the problem, it appears that my VPN provider is getting blocked from amazon. It's not a little VPN company either. The only solution is to use their Canadian servers, which seem to work but are much slower than uk ones due to the distance involved :mad:

I know they recommend using VPN for torrents, etc. but is there any need when using Kodi or other similar apps, or even iptv? If not I'll just connect these things to my VM Superhub and use VPN for everything else?

I've just restarted firestick after connecting to VPN router with new Canadian server on and guess what...blank screen again :mad: FECK!

Ne need for kodi/iptv etc only for downloading or geo blocks
or raid the cupboard and do as i do....;)
>>
george-in-a-tin-foil-hat.jpg

Back