Private plates

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope someone can help me with this.

I have a car with private plate on...what i want to do is transfer the number plate onto a certificate so i can sell this. At the same time, i want to put my original plate back onto the car so i can still drive it.

Does anyone know how i go abouts doing this? too much info on the dvla website which is confusing.

once you put the private plate on retention your car reverts back to it's original reg i think m8.

you probably already got the info now but last dec when I put the original plates back on, it cost me around 80 odd quid for take off and put back on the original plates and about 20 to keep the plates for a year.
I remember it cost me just the 80 odd quid when I transferred from one vehicle to another though.

what plates are you after? maybe just tweak the letters slightly you might find what you want.

aye its £105 pound to keep it on paper and £25 a year after that, private plate is nice but man it can eat money

Not after any plates mate, i've already got the plate on the car but i want to move it to the certificate because the car is for sale and dont want to sell the plate with it.

In that case it is as P33 said, about £105. I have my plates on retention. I am keeping them for a year. I expect you would have to pay around £80 again to transfer them onto another vehice though. Hope you have kept the original plates to put back onto your car.

Back