Premier League - Papers: United eye £40m Giggs replacement

fireblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
Manchester United are preparing themselves for a summer spending spree, with Gareth Bale the top target according to the Sunday papers.

The Sunday Mirror report that the left-footed 21-year-old is seen by Sir Alex Ferguson as the ideal replacement for United institution and Welsh counterpart Ryan Giggs.

With clubs across Europe keen to prise Bale away from White Hart Lane – and Spurs absolutely insistent that he will be going nowhere, a fee for the Welshman could even rise above the £40m which has been mooted.

And if money is a problem, United are apparently willing to use Michael Carrick as a makeweight in any deal.

Bale is not the only left-sided midfielder on Fergie’s wishlist, however – according to the same paper, Aston Villa’s Ashley Young was also the subject of a £15m bid in the January transfer window.

That offer was turned down by the Villans, but the Mirror understand that the Red Devils will have another go at luring the player to Old Trafford in the summer as Young stalls on a new contract.

And according to the Express, United’s £10m move for 17-year-old Southampton starlet Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is gathering pace and they are poised to edge out Arsenal in the race for his signature.

Another 17-year-old star linked with a step up to the Premier League is Connor Wickham.

Depending on what paper you read this morning, the Ipswich striker is either on his way north to replace Andy Carroll at Newcastle United (News of the World) or south to join Tottenham Hotspur (People).

In one of the more far-fetched transfer stories of the weekend, Spurs full-back Alan Hutton could be on his way to Serie A – Juventus are lining up a £5m bid for the Scotland international (People).

The Mail on Sunday say that Chelsea are eager to bring on board a key figure from the Emirates – chief scout Steve Rowley – in order to improve their record of finding the best young talent from around the world.

Perhaps not coincidentally, the same newspaper tells the story of how Chelsea let Denmark star-in-waiting Christian Eriksen slip through their fingers as a 15-year-old when the midfielder came to Stamford Bridge for a trial.

Now it is Arsenal who are leading the chase for the Ajax man (Daily Star Sunday).

In other speculation Galatasaray are ready to swoop for Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov – so says the People – Manchester City are distancing themselves from a bid for Brazilian wonderkid Neymar (NotW), while in the same paper Rio Ferdinand could be about to sign a contract at Manchester United that would effectively keep him at Old Trafford for the rest of his career – and even include a coaching role.

And finally, the News of the World says that Sam Allardyce's managerial odyssey could be about to take him to Qatar to take care of the national team.

Premier League - Papers: United eye £40m Giggs replacement - Yahoo! Eurosport

regards Steve.

I don't think Tottenham will sell him. If anyone is indispensable in their team it'd be Gareth Bale. I will say this though, Spurs can easy get £40m for Bale from any big club in Europe be it Inter, Barca or Madrid. I think if they were to sell to a rival Premiership club then that's an extra £20m slapped on at least. Carrick p/x lmao as if!

Personally I think if Spurs need to sell players, and I'd be surprised if they do, then players like Defoe and Crouch will be the first to go. But players like Bale especially and the other young midfielders are the ones that will drive Spurs on in the coming years as they'll only get better. Which is a frightening prospect in Bale's case.

Last edited:
if bale is worth £40m, i wonder how much nani is worth?

Not even close, he's having a decent season I grant you and you'll probably fiercely disagree here but honestly I'd say Nani is worth no more than £26m tops. He's a good player and having a good season, but he's not proven world class and before this season who was he ? For a long time he was just another also ran. He's also older than Bale and nowhere near as dominant or pacey though he does have a lot more technique. Two different types of players but I can see how Bale is reported at £40m given his performances in the last couple of seasons and especially given his age and his performances against the top clubs. You have to be some player to score a hattrick against Inter - and from wide left no less. He's also full of hard running too, left footed players with his qualities don't come around often and when they do they cost a fortune but clubs don't want to sell these players as they're like gold dust.

As for Nani though, if Man U were to sell him, the end of this season would be the best time as they'd fetch the most for him. Probably £35m or something daft even though he's worth maybe half that realistically.

Last edited:
Not even close, he's having a decent season I grant you and you'll probably fiercely disagree here but honestly I'd say Nani is worth no more than £26m tops. He's a good player and having a good season, but he's not proven world class and before this season who was he ? For a long time he was just another also ran. He's also older than Bale and nowhere near as dominant or pacey though he does have a lot more technique. Two different types of players but I can see how Bale is reported at £40m given his performances in the last couple of seasons and especially given his age and his performances against the top clubs. You have to be some player to score a hattrick against Inter - and from wide left no less. He's also full of hard running too, left footed players with his qualities don't come around often and when they do they cost a fortune but clubs don't want to sell these players as they're like gold dust.

As for Nani though, if Man U were to sell him, the end of this season would be the best time as they'd fetch the most for him. Probably £35m or something daft even though he's worth maybe half that realistically.

lmao! u chat some cobblers at times! what do u mean who was he before this season? he had a top 1st season and then admittedly faded for the next couple seasons... from december 09 he has been magnificent and that performance v arsenal at the emirates last season what simply breath taking.... and that was one of many top drawer performances last season..

im not sayin bale is crap etc but tottenham did not win the 1st 23 league games he played in and last january he was close to be shipped out to notts forest on loan before essou-ekoto got injured... he wasnt even making the bench and bale has only performed THIS season when he has been shifted from left back to left wing so let me ask u, who was he before this season!?

nani dominates the majority of players he is up against. at the moment he is the best winger is europe, check the stats, they dont lie...

bale games 33 goals 12 assists 3
nani games 35 goals 13 assists 14

dont get me wrong, im not sayin bale is crap etc he is a very good player, but if he wasnt british born he'd just be another player.. i mean rooney got man of the match yesterday for his goal, but was nowhere for the rest of the game. he was shit and nani should have been man of the match because his contribution was more than rooney's..

if shitty england players like bent (24m), carroll (35m+) & milner (24m) are worth the obscene amounts, then nani is worth alot lot more... nani is two footed, great acceleration and pace, skill, technique, can shoot left/right foot etc... nani is a match winner and is utd's most important player, the guy is sensational. he is more productive than bale and the stats show that.. he is more productive than any winger in the country and than most wingers in europe at this season..... and if ur tellin me he is worth approx £17m then i think ur off ya head!

lmao! u chat some cobblers at times! what do u mean who was he before this season? he had a top 1st season and then admittedly faded for the next couple seasons... from december 09 he has been magnificent and that performance v arsenal at the emirates last season what simply breath taking.... and that was one of many top drawer performances last season..

im not sayin bale is crap etc but tottenham did not win the 1st 23 league games he played in and last january he was close to be shipped out to notts forest on loan before essou-ekoto got injured... he wasnt even making the bench and bale has only performed THIS season when he has been shifted from left back to left wing so let me ask u, who was he before this season!?

nani dominates the majority of players he is up against. at the moment he is the best winger is europe, check the stats, they dont lie...

bale games 33 goals 12 assists 3
nani games 35 goals 13 assists 14

dont get me wrong, im not sayin bale is crap etc he is a very good player, but if he wasnt british born he'd just be another player.. i mean rooney got man of the match yesterday for his goal, but was nowhere for the rest of the game. he was shit and nani should have been man of the match because his contribution was more than rooney's..

if shitty england players like bent (24m), carroll (35m+) & milner (24m) are worth the obscene amounts, then nani is worth alot lot more... nani is two footed, great acceleration and pace, skill, technique, can shoot left/right foot etc... nani is a match winner and is utd's most important player, the guy is sensational. he is more productive than bale and the stats show that.. he is more productive than any winger in the country and than most wingers in europe at this season..... and if ur tellin me he is worth approx £17m then i think ur off ya head!

You have a fair point in the Nani stats this season and that english medioka at best players go for stupid amounts of money,But english homegrown always do Dont ask me why? I dont get myself.

Its just how it is

But your estimated market value for nani is way over priced for a noob first team player for Portugal and for Man utd

Christiano Ronaldo was worth what he went for in football language which was 50m correct me if i,m wrong

Nani is in no way in the same league as ronnie,I would value Nani at a modest top whack 20M no more

@ NL7, lol typical Man U fan way of thinking, bigging up the new favourite and now apparently he's all of a sudden world class and worth more money than god has - then you try to chuck a bunch of stats in there to prove your point. Nowt personal just saying. So we've established both Bale and Nani are good players, now I've told you why Bale is worth his £40m in world football - can you explain to me how Nani is worth £50m quid on the world stage other than the fact he's United's new favourite winger ? I'm not saying Nani won't prove me wrong because Ronaldo was dog shit for a good couple of seasons at first before he totally raped the Premiership for a few seasons thus earning his £40m move to Madrid or whatever it was. Nani is nowhere near m8, I'm sorry but I totally disagree on that one not that I'll change your mind because you are obviously biased in the first place. Nani might be worth £50m to you as a United fan...or United fans in general. Perhaps even the club. But tbh there's no way in hell Nani is worth £50m to anyone else that has nothing to do with Manchester United FC.

Nani worth £50m pmsl wot u bin smokin ?! ;)

I'll go you three better. he's been a player on Man United's radar from minute 1 even during his Southampton days in the Championship, so clearly they saw something in him. And like with Ronaldo they were 100% correct. So that's who he was before this season and everyone knows that as it's common knowledge bud. It's just he chose Spurs over United knowing had he gone to Man U he'd have spent the time up to now farmed out in the Championship anyway more than likely - looking at his involvement in Spurs 1st team and his progression Bale clearly made the correct decision for himself. And I think that's what United fans can't stand - the fact that some players simply do not want to go the Manchester United and that they'd rather go elsewhere.

Last edited:
first of all m8 i didnt say nani was worth £50m, i havent even put any kind of figure on him... my point is that bale is not worth £40m and considering nani has outperformed him this season, he should be worth more... so is nani worth £50m? course not, but if bale is worth £40m and nani has outperformed him probably throughout his career up until now, who knows?

and whats new about biggin up the new favourite? ive always been a fan of nani's, well before u decided to join the forum and any utd fan on here will vouch for that.. he just wasnt played in his correct position (right wing) because of ronaldo and because of that he suffered early on...

bale made his choice of joinin spurs, good on the lad because at utd he was to be signed as a left back and not left wing and due to evra's brilliant form over the last 4 seasons at left back, he woulda have rarely played.. we all know defensively, bale is quite poor, he has no discipline & positional sense hence why harry moved him further up when ekotto returned from injury... as a left winger he is a very good player but surely even you'd admit he is not worth £40m.. better, proven, world class players have gone for less...

first of all m8 i didnt say nani was worth £50m, i havent even put any kind of figure on him... my point is that bale is not worth £40m and considering nani has outperformed him this season, he should be worth more... so is nani worth £50m? course not, but if bale is worth £40m and nani has outperformed him probably throughout his career up until now, who knows?

You might not have come out and said Nani is worth X amount of money £50m in this case...but we can all see it clear as day that you strongly implied it. And I don't care what you say Nani isn't worth more than Bale. Maybe if he keeps this up for another 2 seasons then perhaps he might be. Proof is in the pudding m8 Man U have been after Bale since day 1 and they couldn't get him because he chose to go elsewhere. So clearly he's some player. What is he 21 and naturally left footed ? Okay just picture Bale bombing down your left wing in Man U colours @ Old Trafford as he does for Spurs and let's just see you or any Man U fan try and suggest he's not worth £40m it won't happen. If anything he'd be being compared to Ronaldo and then all of a sudden he's the best left winger in the world.

But when you suggest that to a Man U fan even though it's the truth they don't like it. Why ? It's because the fans are like the club, loud, brash and arrogant. Arrogant to think they're the biggest and best club in the world that can attract any player when the truth is they're far from it.

as a left winger he is a very good player but surely even you'd admit he is not worth £40m.. better, proven, world class players have gone for less...

For me £40m is rather high, but on the other hand I can clearly see why he's valued at such. And I've stated the reasons in this post and earlier ones as to why that is. And as I said before you can bet your last penny he'd be worth £40m or more were he in Man U colours, you wouldn't be trying to deny it then. ;)

Last edited:
But when you suggest that to a Man U fan even though it's the truth they don't like it. Why ? It's because the fans are like the club, loud, brash and arrogant.

As a Utd fan I take offence at that remark!

As for what Bale or Nani is worth I dont give a monkeys,both are very good players end of.

Sammi nasri is better than both of them pmsl ;)

Mick

You might not have come out and said Nani is worth X amount of money £50m in this case...but we can all see it clear as day that you strongly implied it. And I don't care what you say Nani isn't worth more than Bale. Maybe if he keeps this up for another 2 seasons then perhaps he might be. Proof is in the pudding m8 Man U have been after Bale since day 1 and they couldn't get him because he chose to go elsewhere. So clearly he's some player. What is he 21 and naturally left footed ? Okay just picture Bale bombing down your left wing in Man U colours @ Old Trafford as he does for Spurs and let's just see you or any Man U fan try and suggest he's not worth £40m it won't happen. If anything he'd be being compared to Ronaldo and then all of a sudden he's the best left winger in the world.

But when you suggest that to a Man U fan even though it's the truth they don't like it. Why ? It's because the fans are like the club, loud, brash and arrogant. Arrogant to think they're the biggest and best club in the world that can attract any player when the truth is they're far from it.

For me £40m is rather high, but on the other hand I can clearly see why he's valued at such. And I've stated the reasons in this post and earlier ones as to why that is. And as I said before you can bet your last penny he'd be worth £40m or more were he in Man U colours, you wouldn't be trying to deny it then. ;)

bollocks! ur reading and trying to read what u want to read. i havent implied anything and i have said that bale is a good player but not worth £40m.. like i said another over inflated fee for a british player, no wonder managers go abroad to buy better players for a cheaper price... better value for money.. as the usual the british press/media, fans etc think we are the best at everything and have the best when really our we're just a bunch of nobody's! nothing since 66 from any british team proves that! go abroad, better players, better value...

if nani was british, he'd be up there with ronaldo/messi as world class etc just like overrated average rooney who was compared to messi last season lol what a joke!

i dont value rooney at the ridiculous £27m the club paid for him so what makes u think im gona value bale @ £40m?

yes we might be arrogant, brash, loud..... yes we are one of the best teams in world football and one of the biggest.... sorry who do u support again?

Last edited:
Oh bollocks eh ? bollocks ? So when you said this:

And this:

if shitty england players like bent (24m), carroll (35m+) & milner (24m) are worth the obscene amounts, then nani is worth alot lot more

You are apparently NOT implying that Nani is worth £50m ?! Well either you have a seriously basic lack of English, talking bollocks yourself, or like many a Man U fan you open your mouth first without thinking. Take your pick mate. I take full of shit personally but only you know where you was coming from, all the rest can do is take what's written in black & white.

End of the day we can go around in circles because football player valuations are ridiculous these days regardless. But the truth of the matter is that Nani isn't worth that much. Neither is Bale in truth, but at least there's some credibility in his valuation. And I know because I'm not a Spurs fan so it's not like I'm talking biased opinion....unlike you and Mick. ;)

It's my opinion that there is no value in the current market :proud:

Forgot about these:

if nani was british, he'd be up there with ronaldo/messi as world class etc just like overrated average rooney who was compared to messi last season lol what a joke!

Absolute twaddle I agree. Nobody on the face of the earth can hold a candle to Lionel Messi at the minute - not Torres, not Nasri, not Drogba, not Ronaldo, not Villa, not anybody.

yes we might be arrogant, brash, loud..... yes we are one of the best teams in world football and one of the biggest.... sorry who do u support again?

Not Man United obviously....not that who I support changes anything lol. Nevertheless I'll hand you your lifeline to dig yourself out of the hole you put yourself in since you obviously lost the 'argument' or 'debate' as soon as you'd posted initially....and this is the bit where I become Dr Evil if I wasn't already pmsl - I support Leeds United. :) Ouch, 1 nil loss in your own backyard with all your big guns on the pitch against a 3rd division team at the time. You don't ever erase those kinds of losses until the next meeting. See you soon. ;)

I was just messing :)

Nasri has been our best player this season ;) and we are still (until barca get going lol) still in all competitions and he has scored 15 and made 7 this season ;)

Bale is a cracking player, but he needs slow opposition, if we are honest young rafeal of utd had him in his pocket for 90 minutes.

One thing though bale needs to go to man u or chelski, he is top top talent and he wont win nothing major at spurs, and that is not an arsenal against spurs dig its an honest opinion but if he goes utd or chelski he will win something next year.

The same as if we do not win anything major this season fabregas has to leave as he is too good not to be winning!!!

Regards
Mick

Not Man United obviously....not that who I support changes anything lol. Nevertheless I'll hand you your lifeline to dig yourself out of the hole you put yourself in since you obviously lost the 'argument' or 'debate' as soon as you'd posted initially....and this is the bit where I become Dr Evil if I wasn't already pmsl - I support Leeds United. :) Ouch, 1 nil loss in your own backyard with all your big guns on the pitch against a 3rd division team at the time. You don't ever erase those kinds of losses until the next meeting. See you soon. ;)

lmao! lost what argument/debate.... u have ur views, i have mine.. neither of us lost, i believe nani is worth more, u think bale is... end of story really...

and u support leeds, big deal lol u beat us fair and square and im happy to admit that.. i dont have biased views, i defend my team and players when i have to, but also criticise them when they are needed to... i dont consider u lot as rivals, other fans might but u are a small team who has been away from the elite division for a number of years now.. ur just another team like west brom, exeter utd or plymouth argyle... a small club exactly where they should be and thats not anywhere the premiership...... ;)

lmao! lost what argument/debate.... u have ur views, i have mine.. neither of us lost, i believe nani is worth more, u think bale is... end of story really...

and u support leeds, big deal lol u beat us fair and square and im happy to admit that.. i dont have biased views, i defend my team and players when i have to, but also criticise them when they are needed to... i dont consider u lot as rivals, other fans might but u are a small team who has been away from the elite division for a number of years now.. ur just another team like west brom, exeter utd or plymouth argyle... a small club exactly where they should be and thats not anywhere the premiership...... ;)

PMSL, of all the dumb things you've said today that one takes the biscuit! So the Championship isn't anywhere near the Premiership even though it's the next league down ? Hmmm. Leeds are like a West Brom, Exeter or Plymouth - even though less than 11 years ago we were in the Champions League semi final with Valencia and beating teams like AC Milan yet we're an Exeter ? lmao! You don't consider us rivals even though you lay that much bs on us and your fans sing 'we all hate leeds scum' on a weekly basis....so much of crap bud. ;)

TBH I'd have thought you'd have come up with more convincing arguments or more creative jibes but obviously I gave you way too much credit as after all when it boils down to it you are a Man U fan and just like 90% of them you're devoid of any loyalty, creativity,reasoning or humility. And instead of admitting when you're wrong you'd rather twist the facts in a feeble attempt to rewrite history. Even when you know you lie to your back teeth as you speak or type them words. That's the truth of it. :)

I was just messing :)

Nasri has been our best player this season ;) and we are still (until barca get going lol) still in all competitions and he has scored 15 and made 7 this season ;)

Bale is a cracking player, but he needs slow opposition, if we are honest young rafeal of utd had him in his pocket for 90 minutes.

It's all good. :)

I also think Nasri has been your best player, though have to say Van Persie at the minute is making a strong case too. Must say I'm really looking forward to Arsenal v Barcelona....last time out although your boys got mullered I have to say what a football masterclass it was. Messi was unreal.

But I do disagree that Bale needs slow opposition, that kid can run!!

Last edited:
Now there you go again Raven putting all Man Utd fans in that little box lol either your very one dimensional or a rather poor wind up merchant lmao . I was spat on and threatened @ Elland Road when I was in my early teens by a grown man in a Leeds shirt. Does this mean I put all Leeds fans in a little box as viscous thugs who will even bully a child ? No ;) Leeds are still a rival club to me no matter were in the leagues they may be but that is an entirely different story.
Back on topic I would take Bale at Utd but it wont be at the right price and I cant see it going through. I would be mortified if we paid 40m for Gareth kick run kick run faster Bale as although he is having a fantastic season you don't get anything off Redknapp unless you pay through the nose, 40 million plus Arry tax.
I would much rather bring in Alexis Sanchez who looks just as promising and can play both wings as effectively, him and Nani rotating sides would be an absolute nightmare for defenders.

Nani is better than Bale based on any statistic this season and by the sheer volume Nani has in his locker in comparison. Nasri lol is an entirely different argument as he is not a winger more of an attacking center mid and rotates that position perfectly when played with Cesc. Watching them pair switching positions almost flawlessly is credit to what Wenger has created this season. As a winger I would still take Nani though ;) As an attacking center mid then it's Nasri but both are a cut above Bale.

Back