PoE

MH

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am looking at getting myself some PoE doofers...

These are the ones I am looking at.

Is anyone using them, if so what ones are you using and how do you find them?

Irrelevant of course, but the link has nothing to do with PoE (Power over Ethernet, a technology to provide a power source to a networking device, utilising spare capacity in the CAT5 cable)

I know a bit about PoE, and nothing about using your house wiring as a network medium for video distribution.

I am looking at getting myself some PoE doofers...

These are the ones I am looking at.

Is anyone using them, if so what ones are you using and how do you find them?

I'm also looking into these, I have a 54mbps router, I take it I would I have to upgrade that also if I got two 85/102/200 mbps plugs ?? or the max I would get with my router is 54mbps

I was looking at these Mary

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm

Irrelevant of course, but the link has nothing to do with PoE (Power over Ethernet, a technology to provide a power source to a networking device, utilising spare capacity in the CAT5 cable)

I know a bit about PoE, and nothing about using your house wiring as a network medium for video distribution.

OK, wrong use of acronyms. PoE standands for Power over Ethernet which is a standard for powering devices (such as cameras) and sending signal down the same bit of Cat5.

What MH is looking for home network which allows you to run LAN over power cable (instead of needing to put Cat5 or wireless in). From what I read, it works as stated though don't mix different brands even when on the same protocol, performance seems to be very variable from 100mbps+ down to people just getting a few mbps or nothing at all.

Shaun, the 54Mbps is refering to your Wireless network........using the doofers will allow you to connect to a WIRED network (at 100 Mbps [most likely] or 10Mbps) without laying new cables through the house.
You'd put a Cat5 cable between your router and a special box that plugs into the mains 13A, 3 pin socket. Somwwhere else in your house, you'de plus an almost identical special 13A plug into the electrical wall socket and then plug a Cat5 ethernet cable into it and the other end into your PC.
Your PC would then be connected to the internet router.
Also this technology is used to RELAY your TV picture/sound to a different room in your house.
It depends on the type of doofer!

Back