Playing TM 5402 Recorded Files on PC?

badman56

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm using a fast formatted USB stick which my 5402 is saying is working well and fast

files record ok and play back on the TM but ive just transferred them to the PC ready to convert and some work but many are simply showing a messed up flickering pattern in MPC Player - VLC wont play them and neither will windows media player

add to that my converter Any Video Converter Pro (which works superbly for files that do work) cant recognise them so effectively theyve been a waste of time recording

what is also strange is files recorded on the same day after each other vary - so one file may work and the next one has the flickering and no picture

is this problem common? my first batch worked great but this batch now are awfully inconsistent with many of them not working at all even tho they played back fine on the TM

is there a DOs and DON'Ts list for recording - is there any codec to solve it or are these files now redundant im sure it isnt the usb device as it has been working flawlessly until now

Last edited:
Are the files .trp? If so I've used a freebie called Handbrake in the past to convert files from my TM6900Super for PC or burning to DVD.
HD files take a long time to process mind you.

Theres some useful stuff on this site _http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/279386-MPEG-4-TRP-Files_.

thanks for that reading now

they all are MPEG-TS Video Files but some work some dont - which suggests that it is a problem in the actual recording of the files than with the PC conversion - its just odd that many record fine and some give the flickering image

You could try Project X a free Java based demux utility that fixed the more awkward files for me.

Just to say I have similar problems. Except some of my files will not even play on the receiver and some I just get the audio. I'm going to experiment a bit more with different USB sticks and USB hard disks to see if that's the problem.

I'm using a fast formatted USB stick which my 5402 is saying is working well and fast

files record ok and play back on the TM but ive just transferred them to the PC ready to convert and some work but many are simply showing a messed up flickering pattern in MPC Player - VLC wont play them and neither will windows media player

add to that my converter Any Video Converter Pro (which works superbly for files that do work) cant recognise them so effectively theyve been a waste of time recording

what is also strange is files recorded on the same day after each other vary - so one file may work and the next one has the flickering and no picture

is this problem common? my first batch worked great but this batch now are awfully inconsistent with many of them not working at all even tho they played back fine on the TM

is there a DOs and DON'Ts list for recording - is there any codec to solve it or are these files now redundant im sure it isnt the usb device as it has been working flawlessly until now

you will have to find a media player that plays .trp files there is lots about the free ones usually aren't great some good pay media players about .

GOM Player and its free.

Willing to try this as I would love to play/save my .ts files on my PC.

It is good and EASY to use? Do you need to convert files, if yes does it take long?

you will have to find a media player that plays .trp files there is lots about the free ones usually aren't great some good pay media players about .

But it doesn't create .trp files, they are .ts. Is it different versions of firmware, some save as .ts and some .trp? I'm confused.

My TM-600 saves as .ts and VLC has no problem playing them. I can also convert them using Handbreak. The .ts files from the TM 5402HD do not play in VLC and will not open/convert with Handbreak.

But it doesn't create .trp files, they are .ts. Is it different versions of firmware, some save as .ts and some .trp? I'm confused.

My TM-600 saves as .ts and VLC has no problem playing them. I can also convert them using Handbreak. The .ts files from the TM 5402HD do not play in VLC and will not open/convert with Handbreak.
all the files in the TM of 1 recording would play into one file .trp file of a media player
you could try this i have to say i never tried it Download center
or i tried gom player but i think it's all more work then it's worth.GOM Media Player - CNET Download.com

Thank you Jaymes for this. I have been looking for a way to play files on PC so I can copy movies to my friends and they can watch it at home.
I have tried the gom player and it works a treat. My .ts file (I use sat daemon to transfer file to PC) opened and played just perfect on my old Dell Opti SX260!!!
Thank you ever so much.

Thank you Jaymes for this. I have been looking for a way to play files on PC so I can copy movies to my friends and they can watch it at home.
I have tried the gom player and it works a treat. My .ts file (I use sat daemon to transfer file to PC) opened and played just perfect on my old Dell Opti SX260!!!
Thank you ever so much.

Glad to be of help. so glad you are sorted. Enjoy.

Back