Playing Blu Ray films from network

simonk1969

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've just got a PS3 Slim and have a couple of questions with regards to Blu Ray movies, please be gentle with me as I am a PS3 and Blu Ray virgin ! :)

1. I've trying to store some ripped Blu Ray movies on my WHS machine in the Shared Video folder so that I can play them on the PS3 but it doesn't seem to detect them. It is detecting .avi and .mpg films but not DVD or Blu Ray, am I doing something wrong or is the a specific way that the files need to be ?

2. I've bought a Blu Ray film via the Online Store and the film has downloaded and can be played on the PS3. I would like to be able to play this film on another PC & TV rather than on the PS3. I thought that I would be able to just use the backup facility to backup the film to memory stick and then just stick that in the PC but the files put on the memory stick do not appear to be Blu Ray files. I've also tried taking out the HD and connecting to Sata to USB adaptor and copying the files across that way but Windows 7 doesn't detect the drive as being formatted. Any ideas how I can do this ?

Hi what is the File extension on the file you are trying to use the PS3 to play ?? i guess it is .MKV file ..if it is, you need to convert it ot m2ts for the ps3 to read it properly.

the bluray file you downloaded , what is the file extension on that as well ?? then you can get the correct decoder to play on a pc....should be m2ts file ??? if so , download the ccp codec pack for your pc and install, then u can play the file on yer pc.

As for your ps3 HD ...well its a totally different file system to a normal pc HDD.....so any pc will NOT be able to read from it.

i hope this clears some things up lol

Hi what is the File extension on the file you are trying to use the PS3 to play ?? i guess it is .MKV file ..if it is, you need to convert it ot m2ts for the ps3 to read it properly.

the bluray file you downloaded , what is the file extension on that as well ?? then you can get the correct decoder to play on a pc....should be m2ts file ??? if so , download the ccp codec pack for your pc and install, then u can play the file on yer pc.

As for your ps3 HD ...well its a totally different file system to a normal pc HDD.....so any pc will NOT be able to read from it.

i hope this clears some things up lol

The file I'm trying to play from WHS machine is a .m2ts file as per the attached image, I've copied across a couple of these files 1 being only 191mb and the other 21GB but the PS3 sees neither of them.

I'll have to take a look at the downloaded film again when I backup it up agaain to my memory stick as I removed it earlier to do something else on it. Probably do it tomorrow.

Thanks
Simon

When I use the backup facility on the PS3 to backup the bluray film that was purchased from Playstation Store onto memory stick the file structure is as per the attached image. The files don't seem to be in any format that can be read by the PC.

The PS3 can only read FAT32 formatted external hard drives and USB sticks, so the maximum file size is 4gb, this is the reason it has split the film into that size. The files will need to be stuck back together again on the PC before you can read it.

Also check on the playstation network page because I'm sure I read somewhere that the PS3 will backup films you have bought but makes them so you cant play them in anything else.

For combining and splitting files I use Total Commander, it has a function built-in for this purpose.

Last edited:
The PS3 can only read FAT32 formatted external hard drives and USB sticks, so the maximum file size is 4gb, this is the reason it has split the film into that size. The files will need to be stuck back together again on the PC before you can read it.

Also check on the playstation network page because I'm sure I read somewhere that the PS3 will backup films you have bought but makes them so you cant play them in anything else.

For combining and splitting files I use Total Commander, it has a function built-in for this purpose.

The PS3 can read either FAT32 or NTFS........

The PS3 can read either FAT32 or NTFS........

Must be a new thing then as there a lot of people on the PS3 forums I go on say it can only read FAT32 formatted drives, and mine doesnt read NTFS formatted external drives ether.

I've used Total Commander to stick the files back together and changed the file extension to m2ts but PC just says that it is a corrupted file, so I guesss that it is not just a copy of the file and there is something special done to it.

I've been using PS3mediaserver for quite a bit, I've tried other like tversity, but ps3mediaserver is the best. I have it installed on 2 pc's one full of music and one full od tv shows & films (7.5Tb in total on both pc's) I lso use it on my main pc to stream full blu-ray films (50gb downloaded types), my network is a gigabit one so there's no problem with bandwidth.

Back