plasma wires

chippy_71

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi,
just brought a 50" 1080p plasma and a blu ray home cinema, i finally talked the wife into fitting the tv on the chimney breast and was wondering how you guys go about hiding all the wires? is it best to chase them into the wall then plaster over them? but the problem with that is, what if a lead fails? ideally i would build a false wall but i dont wanna take the gas fire/surround etc out. anyone got pictures of there set-up?
cheers
neil

View attachment 46707

View attachment 46708

or simply use plastic cable trunking from b+q
it wont let me open them? it says:

chippy_71, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

neil

I built a 'floating wall' to hide all my wires etc,here's a few shots of the build;
Framework
DSCN1372.jpg

MDF board going on
DSCN1373.jpg

Joints filled and primered
project1.jpg

The cut outs at the bottom of each panel is so i can put my cables up and through to the next cabinet/TV,depending on how you have your equipment.
This is how it looks when completed
finished-1.jpg

Nice set up there oily @ chippy 71 do a search for tv setups there was a decent thread not so long back with pics.

A company I used to work for did media installs in houses and the way we used to do it was using cat 6 cables, we would pretty much install RJ-45 sockets in every room near every power point ( including one high up near where your tv will be located)

You then buy an addapter to convert the RJ-45 socket to what ever connector you need for your tv. Benefit of stacking the whole house with cat 6 is you can have a patch panel where you can automaticly relay any signal from anywhere in your house to anywhere else.

Most connectors are reasnobly priced, some are a bit steep.

I'll try to find our old supplier and put a link on here, or a phone number failing that

nice setup, but i would have just chased the wall out and put the cables in there. whats the chance of a cable failing? i put 4HDMI cables in, 1 360 component cable, 1 co-ax cable and an avi cable. if one fials i can just put a draw wire up as i put them in metal back boxes.

SS102710.jpg

SS102701.jpg

SS102703.jpg

this is from xmas time, looks a little neater now

*EDIT*
i had redecorated so i had dot and dab on instead but if i didnt redecorate i would have just chased out.

Last edited:
hello
this is just the tread i was looking for i have just chased out my wall can someone please advise what i will be needing behind my plasma ? and how do i put it in do i need to have a face plate or do i just leave the wires hanging out of the wall? i have had a look at face plates and they dont come cheap can anyone tell me where can i get them cheap to make it all look neat and tidy ? i will be using scart and hdmi and vga for laptop or desktop i will also need audio from tv as i will be setting up a sound system thanx

I built a 'floating wall' to hide all my wires etc,here's a few shots of the build;
Framework
DSCN1372.jpg

MDF board going on
DSCN1373.jpg

Joints filled and primered
project1.jpg

The cut outs at the bottom of each panel is so i can put my
cables up and through to the next cabinet/TV,depending on
how you have your equipme
This is how it looks when completed
finished-1.jpg
[/QUOTE

That's what I want to do, how much did this cost and how long did it take you

That's what I want to do, how much did this cost and how long did it take you

Floating wall on it's own was approx £120 in materials.Ikea cabinets were £80 each and there's 3 of them but obviously depends on what size you want it.I've put a rope light behind the wall which adds a 'cinema' feel to it!

thanks for them pictures there great. i got mine fixed to the wall now just in the process of channeling out the wall to hide the wires, i'll post a pic when its all done.

neil

Floating wall on it's own was approx £120 in materials.Ikea cabinets were £80 each and there's 3 of them but obviously depends on what size you want it.I've put a rope light behind the wall which adds a 'cinema' feel to it!

should be getting my done in about 3 weeks - will post the pic's when do :)

Some really nice set ups there lads mines just on a stand as we are currently in a rented house but are in the process of buying a new house. My plan was to run a few plastic 25mm conduits behind a floating wall so if any cables were to fail I could easily pull them out and use a nylon fish to pull new cables in. One downside is the likes of Scart and VGA are to big for coduit, so maybe some 100mm x 50mm trunking behind there. I'm not sure yet will have to see what materials are available.

In my mums house she's got a concrete floor so we chased out a trench right around the room with 50mm x 30mm trunking inserted into it, filled in the gaps so it's a permanent feature. Basically she can have cables run right around the room in trunking that is fitted flush into the floor. All you need to do is pull the carpet back slightly and lift the lid of the trunking an hey presto. The original plan was for the surround sound speakers. she wanted 25mm x 16mm trunking fitting but i convinced her to get bigger stuff and she's since had Virgin installed and they happily took advantage of it to run the coax and phone cables in it. It's a really tidy job unfortunately if she was to need any cables to run up the walls these would not be hidden as she doesn't have any floating walls the only alternative would be to chase the walls.

A mate of mine put floating walls right round his living room with various outlets speakers, coax, telephone, RJ45 ect.

There are some really clever ways to go about it and if your not scared to get stuck into a bit of DIY it doesn't have to cost a fortune either.

Last edited:
ok the wife has changed her mind, so we are getting this now, should still look good when all done :)

well i hope you's like it all, its took me 3 days to put it up, 2 pic's 1 with the glass in and 1 without. :)

Last edited:
Back