Routers pfSense and Squid proxy experience

thewhale9000

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was planning on installing a fanless PC in our office with pfSense on it along with Squid to try and achieve the following:

1. Act as a router
2. Act as a firewall
3. Act as a reverse proxy

Basically I want to get a better handle on the web traffic going in and out of our office.

This is quite ambitious (misguided?) for me. If anybody has done anything similar before and has any advice I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance,

Billy

done this .. set up a desktop with pfsense and squid and squidguard - basically to do content filtering of websites.

OK, good to hear that I'm not the only person trying this. I've manged to get pfSense installed on the fanless PC and can access the web gui over the network once it's plugged into the switch. My pain now is figuring out how to get the pfSense to replace the routing functionality provided by my ASUS RTAC68U router, or even whether this is possible. It's made harder by the fact that the data cabinet in the office is in the loft which is difficult to access. Am I right in thinking that the physical setup is as follows:

Bt modem -> Asus router -> switch

BT modem -> pfsense box -> switch -> Asus router configured as a wifi access point

And that from a networking point of view I'll need to set the WAN of pfsense to be pppoe and the lan side set to have dhcp enabled?

Thanks,

Billy

I would get the pfsense to be a dhcp server, so the disable the asus router dhcp function also within the asus router when you set the IP address, ensure the gateway is set as the pfsense box

my setup is the pfsense box - WAN side is connected to a VM SH and from LAN side to as network 16 port switch where all the PC's are connected

Back