Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

permanent hackware for sb4200

name750

Inactive User
Probably been asked but anyone point me in the right direction.
Ahh when netboot works it's like so easy it does it all itself.

i never actually tried it.
I got a sb4200 and didnt really think netboot would work cos it never didi before.
I uploded the vxworks and then put on a fiberware.
I understood that if i rebooted the modem with just the vxworks it would revert back to the original firmware.
I like the look of the hackpage. It appeals to my little bit wow!! little bit way!!!
nature.
And i want to see if the sniffer is better than dhcpforce.

Just go to hack tab and scroll down to update.
Browse to hackware-fw.bin (file type bin is important)
Then click on update
wait for the modem to boot again.
Important: the CM doesn't give any feedback that the process was successfull
But after that reboot the FW is permanent.

The only thing that's better with the hackware sniffer is that the sniffer runs in background, the PC doesn't need to be turned on.

for a sb4200 i would go with fiberware2.02 instead of hackware..the firmwares are identical,but fiberware2.02 has a vxworks shell(hackware does not)..

Thats all so cool. The pc doesn't need to be on!!!
Thanks for all the help.
Does the fiberware have a sniffer then.
I woke up in the middle of the night and realised that if i want to change the firmware via netboot then i will have to enable frimware updates on my fiberware/
Is that right?
Thanks i like shelled firmwares as it has helped me a few time fiddling with stuff.
cheers all.

SB4200_Hackware_shelled_2.02.hex.bin
Just found this.

Last edited:
for a sb4200 i would go with fiberware2.02 instead of hackware..the firmwares are identical,but fiberware2.02 has a vxworks shell(hackware does not)..

There's no "fiberware 2.02". That's just a little bit modded hackware. Fibercoax team had nothing to do either with creation of hackware or with it's modification as far as i know.

Differences of "official" non-shelled hackware 2.02 and shelled "unofficial":

"-eth" patch - tftp/udp ethernet filters before registration disabled, possible to _try_ to upload custom config
id string changed to Fiberware-2.02
rlogin shell - login:FCoax pass:Fiberware
randmac function/command added - sets mac to random
invitation shell prompt changed from default -> to FC->
Global vars set:
g_cannedReg set to 1
g_cmdDebug set to 1
CfgSnmpDebug set to 1
g_ScDebug set to 1

i'm pretty sure i know what i'm talking about :) ..i know who coded the firmwares and the differences between them..

Warfare said:
The only thing that's better with the hackware sniffer is that the sniffer runs in background, the PC doesn't need to be turned on.

sorry to sound stupid but sniffer will sniff MAC addresses? so you just turn modem on sniffer on and leave it, turn computer off and when you come back onto the modem internal page it will have a list for you?

If you say stuff like
for a sb4200 i would go with fiberware2.02 instead of hackware..
Than you obviously don't know what you're talking about. There's no damned fiberware 2.02 in the world. That was just someone's fancy to REname hackware like that after making a couple of minor modifications to it.

Last firmware fibercoax team released was fiberware-vf93.

well,i'm pretty sure i know who coded those "minor changes" and why it would be called fiberware..but,just for the record,i do know exactly what i'm talking about,i just try not to make a big deal over small,unimportant issues..

You guys are so cool - I know that....I definetly know what....
C'mon...

Yeah leave the modem alone with sniffer on, turn PC off and when you come back you got a list of configs (not macs) and the tftp IP.

truely i could care less what anyone thinks,so i don't care if you believe me or not..i don't see why anyone would argue over something so trivial(especially when your mistaken)..

uuuuuhhh since you're not Kuzya you are only someone who apreciates his work! And now stop talking like a god.

Kuzya did a great job,but that has nothing to do with what i've said(i think your a bit confused)..anyways,this is one of the most pointless arguements that i've seen in a while..in fact,i will end it now by saying this,,you know everything,i know nothing,you win..

Thanks balls.
I'm gonna save every frimware i can from now on.
You never know when these site go down and then i'll be stuck.

someone pointed me in a direction of setting the docsis on a sb4****.
I think it was really for setting a euro docsis modem working in a docsis area.
It was on theroryshare. Those guy are almost as helpfull as us lot on here.
Not tcniso snobs anyhow.

I know the docsis thing is probably a waste of time but i gotta try for my own sake. The sb5100i are hopeless but i haven't spent three weeks on any other sb's.
Cheers.

Have you finally made it to get hackware permanent? There is so much useless blabla in this thread that I don't really now if your done or not.
BTW: I don't like theoryshare at all, because they don't really know what they are talking about.
But if you got help from there - why not.

warfare,keep in mind you added to the "useless blabla" in this thread..to clear things up,i had fiberware2.02 long before Kuzya posted hackware in fibercoax forums..

Back