People Using Your Wireless!!

graemewh

Inactive User
Reaction score
Is there a way to stop people using your settings? I went into my router settings clicked on DHCP Client list and got the following

192.168.2.3 Macintosh 00:19:e3:02:ec:ab
192.168.2.4 DadsComputer 00:14:a5:b4:84:dd
192.168.2.5 (null) 00:17:f2:50:44:b4

Im not entirely sure who the macintosh is??!?? could this be someone using my connection and is there a way to stop this!!

Use the security settings in your router, set up a WEP key

how do i set up one of them? sorry novice, also do you think someone is using my connection?

It is very possible if your network is not secure and open, what router do you have ?

you will have to go into your routers configuration page, open a new web page and type this ip into your the address bar

hopefully this will bring up the router settings

yes im already in that, do you have msn easier and quicker to chat pm me your addy if thats ok

OK will go on msn now

pm sent

Why do you have to go on MSN?

This thread would almost certainly help others in the same situation, especially with the recent news, and they're not going to get a final fix if yous go on MSN!

Don't use WEP. Use WPA or WPA2. Go to your router settings. You'll find a wireless security settings page somewhere. Just enable WPA and set a password. Make it a good long one (can be up to 64 characters, so use them). A good way to make a password is to take a phrase you'll remember, then use the first letter of each word to generate your password. So for the last sentence I just wrote, you'd get agwtmapittapyrtutfloewtgyp. No-one is going to realistically crack that.

Don't use WEP. Use WPA or WPA2. Go to your router settings. You'll find a wireless security settings page somewhere. Just enable WPA and set a password. Make it a good long one (can be up to 64 characters, so use them). A good way to make a password is to take a phrase you'll remember, then use the first letter of each word to generate your password. So for the last sentence I just wrote, you'd get agwtmapittapyrtutfloewtgyp. No-one is going to realistically crack that.

I didnt no you could do that thanks m8

trashing the skiddy's computer - anyone ?

I sometimes get a real spiteful mood come over me, not very often I might add.

I am looking for a spiteful skiddytrap, honeypot, with teeth.

I have a copy of several ready made honeypots - ROO looks good, but they all are meant to simply contain an intruder, play about with him/her a bit while tracking their every movement.

I want one that does all of this, then trashes their fookin computer in a way which needs a re-format...

Anyone got a handful of scripts for linux that I could use ?

Most scourolous(spell?) of you!

It usually best (and easiest) to waste their time; deliberate harm is usually a bad idea: something about karma, and it comming back to bite you on the boll0ckx!

allways good to listen to the words ov the wise.As more often than not they may have made mistake and learned the hard way.

hi been reading this thread cos i have been on to vm about my internet speeds or lack of them they asked me if my router was secure was not to sure as i dont use the wireless function everything is hard wired . so i have been to the wireless section of the router and it was enabled so i just clicked on on the disable wireless function , so is now my router secure

BTW using a linksys wrt54gs

thanx : spook :

Yes mate, if you turn off the wireless then the only way to access your network is via the router directly with an ehternet cable.

as well as setting a WEP / WPA key the simplest form of securing yourself is once you have set up your wirless connections..

just disable "SSID Broadcast" in the router configurations..

this stops the router from showing itself avilable, but any connection that is made or set up to connect to the ssid will work..

as well as that just change your ssid and then they wont know it and/or be able to find it

as well as setting a WEP / WPA key the simplest form of securing yourself is once you have set up your wirless connections..

this stops the router from showing itself avilable, but any connection that is made or set up to connect to the ssid will work..

as well as that just change your ssid and then they wont know it and/or be able to find it

ok thanx for that m8 that,s what i have done just making sure

Turning SSID off will only stop the casual user, you can still get in via other means.

I Don't want members to think that if you turn off SSID you are safe, you are not.

These are the 4 settings I usually change If im setting up a wireless network.

Setup WEP / WPA or WPA2
Disable SSID Broadcast
Disable DHCP (manually assign Ip addy to your wireless computers)
Enable MAC filtering

Back