PCI Express card added - Comp won't boot if a drives plugged into it....

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chaps, afternoon, using all the 5 SATA ports on my MB for hard drives, i plugged a Pci Express card in and thought i'd just attach the Pioneer writer that i have to it, but windows says some thing like "unable to write boot" or some thing like that and then won't boot..., will double check, what's the score with a pci express card, i have raid 0 (2xdrives) and raid 1 (2x drives) + 1 single 2TB drive, so there fore using all the onboard sata....and therefore no where to add the pioneer or any other drives by the looks of it, i wanted to keep the drives plugged into the board as it's sata III 6Gbps, i've tried them plugged into the pci express card but get the boot.ini error, if i leave them all plugged in the MB and just plug the pioneer into it, i get the same booting error message, any ideas ?

I've had to plug a really old pci card in with the pioneer attached to it, which works so not the end of the world, just interested in why it won't work via the pci express card..

Thanks

Last edited:
long shot but is your psu up to the job? try unplugging a couple of the drived and try again maybe

I bought 2 PCI express SATA II cards for my server, both will only work with hard drives and not dvd roms (as stated in the instruction and not a fault). I have to have my writer plugged into a socket on the motherboard instead.

Thanks all, no mater what device i had plugged into it either it be a HDD or the Pioneer then it says some thing about "unable to write boot.ini" some thing like that, and then just sits there with the cursor flashing, I've had to put an old PCI card in with a sata connection, no love lost i guess and i ain't going to keep on trying as just wasting too much precious time messing on with it, since this new build had me head inside it for weeks, all packed away and neat under the desk now, the pci will suffice for what i need i guess now guys. (I've removed the PCI express card)

Thanks for the support/advice.

I'll just put it down to experience!

Back