pc fan issue

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys..just need some clarification before i replace my fan on the heatsink...everything was fine until a few days ago...whne the internal fan on the heatsink started to make some strange whirring noise, not the usual noise you hear when the fan is spinning, i took the fan off cleaned it out , even cleamed the dust off the heatsink..never took the heatsink off though...i got a vacuem and put it next to the fan, the fan strated to spin but still made that strange noise...so i put everything back.......started the pc up and the noise has gone............i still have the side cover of the pc off...........and when starting the pc i can see the fan spinning, ive been on the pc for about half an hour and have yet to hear the fan kick in, temp is around 46 degrees.....is this normal..cos i thought that everytime you switch on your pc..the fans start whirring very fast and then slow down...mine seems to stay at the same speed all the time...no issues regarding overheating or pc freezing.......any help and advice ?..ta

Most 'boards have variable fan speeds - so the less heat the CPU is making the slower the HSF can turn.

If you want to check that you've not damaged your fan by stripping it down do a stress test with the likes of Prime95: GIMPS Home

If you do need to replace I can recommend Noctua fans: Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"! (I find they're slightly cheaper on ebay than the online stores until you buy a few).

hi guys..just need some clarification before i replace my fan on the heatsink...everything was fine until a few days ago...whne the internal fan on the heatsink started to make some strange whirring noise, not the usual noise you hear when the fan is spinning, i took the fan off cleaned it out , even cleamed the dust off the heatsink..never took the heatsink off though...i got a vacuem and put it next to the fan, the fan strated to spin but still made that strange noise...so i put everything back.......started the pc up and the noise has gone............i still have the side cover of the pc off...........and when starting the pc i can see the fan spinning, ive been on the pc for about half an hour and have yet to hear the fan kick in, temp is around 46 degrees.....is this normal..cos i thought that everytime you switch on your pc..the fans start whirring very fast and then slow down...mine seems to stay at the same speed all the time...no issues regarding overheating or pc freezing.......any help and advice ?..ta

There is every chance that your fan has seized, especially with the sound you had prior to it stopping.

Your HS is doing all the cooling and as you are running at 46 it has not caused any probs, but I would put a new fan on ASAP or if you want to do it yourself, remove the fan and then the central sticker and put a couple of drops of '3 in 1' on the spindle.

:)

Messa

Back