paypal payment

mwflivpak

Inactive User
Reaction score
right i just sold a iphone 4s to a random guy i met on hukd, he just paid me 510 on paypal. I am going to meet him tomorrow outside a station.

just wanted to make sure he cant reclaim the money... and it all legit. he said he was sending the payment as gift but it seems like his paid for an item on paypal.

also dont know if this is relevant he sent 510 first and then said he dont it with the wrong card and if i can refund it. which i did.... then he sent d 510 again with his card...

i will be waiting for the payment too clear before giving him the phone. i made that clear too him. any advise to protect my cash will be appreciated.

**** ***** paid for their item using PayPal. This payment is under review.

The Payment Review may take up to 24 hours. When we've completed the review, we'll either clear or cancel the payment. If the payment clears: You may proceed to process the order. To know if your item is covered, check the 'Seller Protection' section of the 'Transaction Details' page and ensure that it states 'Eligible'.

You shouldn't provide the item or service purchased until we let you know that the payment has cleared. We'll send you an email when the funds are released. Or you can:

Check the transaction History from your Account Overview

**** ***** is a Verified Customer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment Details:

Amount: 510.00 GBP

Transaction ID: 88***************

Why didn't you do cash on collection??

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

Why didn't you do cash on collection??

his a chinise student from the states... apparently he can only withdraw £70 a week as his debit card is limited by his parents... however his paypal is linked with his account in states which he can withdraw more from... hmm

Then don't sell to him till the money is in your bank account

Don't do it, I'm not 100% but he could possibly do a chargeback even if you withdraw the money from PayPal

You could still get your account frozen after you take the cash out. If you do make sure you get some written agreement of sale.

Also I didn't think you had the same cover with gift payments?

I would want some passport type id at least so if you are scammed you can get police involved,sound way too dodgy.
I got a chargeback from bank recently for concert tickets they received.
I was covered by paypal you wont be .
Be carefull

I would ask him to bring a couple of pieces of photo ID (passport, driving license) and get a invoice signed by him as well.

I know people who have had paypal transactions fail up to a week after sales and as yours is not through eBay I don't think you have much coverage.

Also, make it clear - YOU have the IEMI number, any problems down and line and you will report the phone stolen and have it blocked.

However, if he's going abroad, this won't matter.

all sounds very dodgy...

his a chinise student from the states... apparently he can only withdraw £70 a week as his debit card is limited by his parents... however his paypal is linked with his account in states which he can withdraw more from... hmm

If his paypal is linked with his account then he would not need to have used 2 cards, or any cards, to pay for the item, it would have come straight out of his bank.

Sound very fishy to me too.

Forget all this ID stuff. This has 'dodgy' written all over it in capital letters.

Step away.

Yep definetly dodgy, ask yourself how many times you have purchased goods online, payed for them and then gone to collect them. The story about his parents is bogus. If I were you I would stay well away dont even go to meet him, email and tell him your sending the money back but if he can get cash you will gladly meet him.

thanks a lot everyone! yea im pretty sure i am not going to go ahead with it. sounded all quite fishy to me too....

going to ask him for passport and try to arrange the meeting at his address just incase... if his a scammer that should be enough to put him off.

Might be a hijacked PayPal account.

Still not sure about the paying with wrong card bit. I've done that before when in a hurry :).

hmm he just text back saying he will gladly show me passport and licence but not keen on showing me where he lives...he said he will show me the halls he lives in but not his room.... hmmmm

confused.com lol

I dont trust foriegn students i sold a phone to a cypriot who lived inone room in a houseand even though i sent it recorded delivery he tried to get a refund until i reported him to ebay as a scammer

darkxkiller

his given me that to prove his genuine but i am not familiar with the website at all....

Anyone can setup a BB and then populate it and personally it means jack shi**, for all you know it's just a mechanism to draw people in.

It's like me selling my phone to some guy then pointing him to here to prove i exist.

Last edited:
Back