part paid for a sofa deal, now have sale on

Rs2k_Rider

DW's Resident Medic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Dont know where I stand here, but part paid for a sofa deal from World of Sofas in Lakeside. Ordered a 2+3 leather recliner set for £1499.... in November.

They now show on their site that all sofas are better than half price in their sale. I am due to go in on the 4/1/2010 to make another payment towards the balance... but if this deal is reduced should they reduce the balance to reflect this ?

I was going to order from Harveys and they said they would do this is their sale started and the sofa was cheaper before delivery.

Many thanks

can you cancel, then re order at the new price?

I expect could cancel, as its not on finance but paid on a Maestro card.... deposit was £150...

I would think we would lose the deposit, which would make all the hassle not really worth it :(

What about if you are not satisfied with the sofa ?

Mickie

What about if you are not satisfied with the sofa ?

Mickie

Not got it yet mate :( not due for delivery unit Feb 2010..

This is why I am not too happy about paying extra for something that is now reduced lol

If the sofa is now half the price then in theory it should be £750, so if you cancel and loose the £150 and then reorder, it will still save you £600.

I suspect the half price sale is just marketing gizmo anyway, but deffo worth a check.

Frenchman

If the sofa is now half the price then in theory it should be £750, so if you cancel and loose the £150 and then reorder, it will still save you £600.

I suspect the half price sale is just marketing gizmo anyway, but deffo worth a check.

Frenchman

Yea it could do mate, Their site is not working right atm.... had to go to the source code to get a link to the recliner section...

main site > World of Sofas

Recliner section > Search results for: 'recliner'

This takes you to an online store that was not there before and a test store at that I think.

The deal when I ordered mine was 2+3 seater recliners (manual) for £1499... should of been £1999.

Can not see a deal for them together now.

My mate had the same problem last year with DFS. (IIRC)

He rang them and got nowhere, so went in and said I'm cancelling the order as the same suite is now half price, (or whatever it was). He got the suite at the sale price.

I have a feeling they made it difficult, hoping he'd be put off, and details are vague now for me, but something is nagging me that they ended up cancelling the order, refunded the deposit, and then re-ordered again. (Got a feeling there may have been an issue re them refunding his card, but got it eventually.)

If you really need me to, I'll bell him for you...

Last edited:
To be honest RS i don't think you have a leg to stand on when you bought the suite in Nov you probably filled out loads of forms its just unlucky you weren't to know it would drop in price. at best i would go in and chance your arm/ call their bluff see how you get on IE cancellation etc etc Ive just come out of work, Mrs has just come out of work cant pay but if we got it for that price maybe????

My mate had the same problem last year with DFS. (IIRC)

He rang them and got nowhere, so went in and said I'm cancelling the order as the same suite is now half price, (or whatever it was). He got the suite at the sale price.

I have a feeling they made it difficult, hoping he'd be put off, and details are vague now for me, but something is nagging me that they ended up cancelling the order, refunded the deposit, and then re-ordered again. (Got a feeling there may have been an issue re them refunding his card, but got it eventually.)

If you really need me to, I'll bell him for you...

Be cool if ya could find out deffo what happened mate :)

To be honest RS i don't think you have a leg to stand on when you bought the suite in Nov you probably filled out loads of forms its just unlucky you weren't to know it would drop in price. at best i would go in and chance your arm/ call their bluff see how you get on IE cancellation etc etc Ive just come out of work, Mrs has just come out of work cant pay but if we got it for that price maybe????

No mate, all was filled in was an order form... can think whats actually on it... just has deposit amount, and balance to pay... nothing else.

:)

Do you really want that settee if you do your knackerd they wont give you £700 back mate no way.

If you want to pick another settee thats an easy option just go in and say cancel the delivery my misses has decided to change the colour scheme or we want a 3 seater and 2 chairs thats easy no one wants to argue with a womans decor choice lol.

:proud:

i took out a sofa on finance in august and was gaurentedd delivery for christmas, arrived on the 12th of december

2nd week in december the exact same sofa is in the paper with £200 off and guarenteed for christmas delivery!!

shower of bams!!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Just go in, kick up a stink and tell them you want the deposit back as they gave you a really bad deal. They probably wont want the hassle and just honour the new price.

Worst case scenario is you tell them to shove the deposit and re-order the same suite at half the price.

I would go and get one from a proper manufacturer, it just shows what the sofa is worth if they can sell it for £750 they will still be making a profit. These places like DFS are all rip offs. My brother-in-law worked for DFS for 8 years and he wouldnt touch them even with staff discount.

The mother-in-law paid to have a bespoke 3 piece suite made to her specs and it was made by craftsmen, not in a mass produced factory, and it was only £1200 for a full 3 seater setee and 2 reclining chairs in leather.

If you were happy to pay the £1500 go and get a better deal.

Same sort of thing happened to me in the Spring with a set of B & Q French Windows.
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/206139/

B & Q actually told me to cancel the order Even though I had paid in full.

I didn't cancel but got a refund from Head Office.

I always thought anyway that the prevailing price at time of delivery was the valid price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go and get one from a proper manufacturer, it just shows what the sofa is worth if they can sell it for £750 they will still be making a profit. These places like DFS are all rip offs. My brother-in-law worked for DFS for 8 years and he wouldnt touch them even with staff discount.

Very true. Anything from places like DFS, Harvey's etc. is way overpriced at retail. Poor quality also.

Found this info on a consumer web site, looks like you have no rights to get the sofa cheaper.

If the Price Goes Down

If you pass the shop a week later, and spot the very same sofa in a sale with 50 per cent off, legally you don't have any right to demand the sofa for less. After all, you agreed to buy it for £1000. You can ask the manager if, given that the sofa hasn't been delivered to you yet and all you've paid is the deposit, he will consider giving you your sofa at the same price it is now being advertised for.

If he is a very nice manager, he or she might say that under the circumstances the shop will knock 50 per cent off of the price for you. The important thing is that they are not obliged to. So be nice! If they stand their ground, you might think you have the upper hand by saying that you'll cancel the contract and look elsewhere.

Unfortunately, you don't have the right to do that, and if you force the issue it could put you in breach of contract. At best the retailer can keep your deposit to cover 'out of pocket expenses' and at worst they could attempt to force the performance of the contract - that is make you accept the sofa. In the case of an item that's ready made, it's less likely to happen - but if you are having an item made to your specification, they may well try to either force you to accept the goods or sue you for breach of contract if you refuse.

Also check your agreement as to the cancellation period.

Frenchman

now I am intrigued !

how is a sale possible when their title said "Every single sofa reduced half price or less"

worldofsofassale.jpg

yet....

Washington 3 & 2 Seater Recliner Special - Recliners

is the same price as when I ordered it over a month ago ?

yes was reduced but as a "2+3 deal" not a winter sale ?

now I am intrigued !...

As far as I know they are within ASA rules/guidelines provided one of the company's UK outlets (not sure if the internet is included or not) has sold it for a period of at least 28 days in the last 12 months at the advertised full price.

IIRC the ASA set the rules as it wasn't unheard of for stores to up the price of goods, in some instances over 100%, for a day or so before a sale started. Then when they dropped the price to the original selling price it was suddenly 'reduced' (by 50% in cases were the price was doubled).

Last edited:
Back