Parking ticket advice

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Mrs got a letter today from a debt collection agency (baliffs) regarding overstaying in a asda carpark in Scotland 5 years ago. The max time allowed was 3 hours. However my point is can they still enforce payment afyer 5 years , she got no letters asking for payment as far she can remember. The car she had then has been sold on long time ago. Is this fine still valid or can it be written off after such length of time.ta

not sure if I'm right about this, but the only people who can enforce a parking ticket is the council or police, someone might correct me on this.

I have not had many maybe 3-4 and my daughter has 2-3 but I have never paid a parking ticket on private land tbh and neither has she. It is very rare they will take you to court as this is the only way they can make you pay.
I just ignore the letters unless they are willing to take me to court and the maximum they can get is £70 as the legislation was changed recently.

Most private parking fines to be capped at £50 in England and Wales | Motoring | The Guardian

Me personally I would ignore the letter.

Some years ago I parked up on a private car park to do a job it was one of those were you log your reg when you enter.

As I rolled up (still driving) I missed a call from work. I parked up on the car park for under a minute while I called them back, I never left the vehicle.

I drove off to attend an emergency job then a couple of weeks later I received a £50 fine. I explained via email thought that was it.

About a month later it had gone to £100. I told them do as you please I never left the vehicle your CCTV and my phone will confirm it.
They harrased me for the best of 12 month till they eventually they gave up the ghost.
If you have a good enough reason then stick it out. They know what wins in court

You've got to be careful with these, as there are conflicting accounts, and information. I am speaking from personal experience only;

I've had a few private parking notices, and threats with baliffs. I always reply asking for additional information, without accepting the ticket or fine. I never pay these fines ever, but you have to be careful. The company will take you to small claims court if you rack up enough fines with them, as it is then in their interest. The nurses is the example everyone uses, who had over 2000 worth of fines, and lost the case in court.

Yes if you've got 2k worth of fines, they're going to take you to court, and get their money. If you've got 1 or even 2, then ignore them and put them in the bin.

I had one from starbucks who said I hadn't been a patron. I asked them to prove I wasn't a patron, and they invoked the DPA saying they couldn't share that information. I explained that as they couldn't share information pertaining to me not being a patron, then I was not accepting the fine, and I wouldn't correspond with them further. They sent me another 3 notices, and then nothing.

Yeah they will push and push and try to scare monger you into paying. Lots just sh*t themselves and cough up. If like the above you rack up a fair few tickets then they will no doubt take you to court but the odd ticket ?. It will cost them more just to get you in court than what they will actually recover and if your excuse (like mine) is a valid one then they will give up.
Gym's are another, if you don't clock in even if you are a member them you will get a notice through the post. I've seen that done to a few m8's nipping into town using the gyms car park thinking their ok because their members.

The I think the only baliffs that are aloud to come into your house is a High court sheriff and they have to have a court order sighed by a judge.

Are you sure they are baliffs?
Baliffs and Debt Collection Agencys are 2 different things.
Debt collection agencys can try and chase you for the money but have to prove you owe it them, if a DCA has valid grounds they can take you to court and then pass the debt onto a baliff at extra cost to you, if you refuse to pay, but after 5 years and such a small amount, they are just taking the piss and trying there luck.
i still get a DCA trying to get money for a credit card debt from 11 years ago, they have no power to collect it but keep sending the letters anyway, like it was said above, some people just shit there pants and pay up.
Baliffs can collect the money or take possesions because the debt has been taken to court and passed on to them by court order.
I doubt thats the case, So if its just a DCA ignore it.

Last edited:
Is the guy on the left a dwarf ? I scrolled to just below were it says, "We'll take it away" I'd tackle him no problem, knee him in the nose

Is the guy on the left a dwarf ? I scrolled to just below were it says, "We'll take it away" I'd tackle him no problem, knee him in the nose
He will bite your ankles

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets/
  1. Don't assume the driver's liable for the ticket​

It might be the driver wot dunnit – but that doesn't mean it's the driver who'll have to pay. Parking operators in England and Wales are allowed to hold the vehicle's owner liable for unpaid charges if they don't know who the driver was and the owner refuses, or is unable, to name the driver.
    Bear in mind though that if you're ticketed while driving a hire car anywhere in the UK, you'll still be responsible for any parking tickets if you've accepted liability for them under the hire agreement.
    • Can they get my address?

• What are the rules in Scotland and Northern Ireland?

In Scotland there's technically no 'keeper liability' (which means the registered owner of the car is responsible if they refuse or are unable to say who the driver was at the time). But British Parking Association and Independent Parking Committee members can get owner details from the DVLA, and Transport Scotland's warned that parking firms could still try to make the owner pay via small claims courts.
      In Northern Ireland, the driver remains liable. If you get a ticket in these countries but weren't the driver, you can simply state that, as the owner, you're not liable for any costs, you aren't prepared to state who was driving and you're under no obligation to do so. It's best to do this in writing so you have a record. We've a template letter to help if needed.
As you're in Scotland, I'd write back and say it wasn't you, but you cant remember who was driving. Be prepared for them to keep pestering you, maybe even send you court docs as a last resort to scare you but they will probably quit when it starts to cost them in stationary and postage costs.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets/

As you're in Scotland, I'd write back and say it wasn't you, but you cant remember who was driving. Be prepared for them to keep pestering you, maybe even send you court docs as a last resort to scare you but they will probably quit when it starts to cost them in stationary and postage costs.
Don't believe in the hype matey. Scottish law is every bit as tenacious as everywhere else in the UK.

I had similar problem a few years ago am also in scotland went to citizens advice and never hear anymore from Glasgow council or debt collectors

They will take to you court "if" they think they will definitely win or if say you have numerous tickets. It's good publicity if they win and they'll use it to scare monger others. In my case I just gave them my evidence and said go head you do as you thinks best, they pulled out. I told them, if they keep pursuing me I will take them to court for harassment.

When my son was younger his m8's stuck a wallet on sale in TK Maxx's in his school bag as a dick head prank. He got done for so called shop lifting. They let him go with a caution and a 12 month ban from the store and we thought that was it, oh no.

They again never gave up there ghost with letters a so called fine say £50 and you must pay or go to court some private company acting on behalf of TK Maxx. Every time a letter came from them we ripped it up then straight in the bin. For 2 years they carried on till he turned 16 then they stopped.

If it's a private car park then they are not the law, they are rules they make up, It's down to them to private prosecute you. If you have a genuine reason, say no signs or machine out of order whatever it is, make sure you take pictures and hit them with it and do not pay, they will keep saying your fine has gone up to £xx and will increase again if not paid by such a date. they are simply trying to sh*t you up.

Remember, that's their rules its not the law so I suggest you have your day in court then claim for expenses and hardship and harassment.

The more that don't pay and win in court means they are forking out to recover less than the cost and less will end up in court. Very very few go to court that's because they pull out when they done a few years of bullsh*t letters

Back