painting old damp patch

ellie1998

Inactive User
Reaction score
Had a water leak at my dads house, it's long dried out but nothing seems to cover the stain, tried pva (3 to 1), and countless coats of emulsion but it keeps grinning through, is there anything I can buy that will allow white paint to cover it.

It's on a ceiling but is 100% dried out.

Your stain will keep coming through any water based paint. PVA is water based and it will come through that too. You use any oil based paint to seal the stain back. Proper decorators will use an undercoat as is has a matt finish no one wants to be emulsioning over gloss. Professional 'stain blockers' are unecessary and often don't work as well as undercoat

Had a water leak at my dads house, it's long dried out but nothing seems to cover the stain, tried pva (3 to 1), and countless coats of emulsion but it keeps grinning through, is there anything I can buy that will allow white paint to cover it.

It's on a ceiling but is 100% dried out.
could try oil based undercoat then emulsion after

Your stain will keep coming through any water based paint. PVA is water based and it will come through that too. You use any oil based paint to seal the stain back. Proper decorators will use an undercoat as is has a matt finish no one wants to be emulsioning over gloss. Professional 'stain blockers' are unecessary and often don't work as well as undercoat

spot on this info is.

I know you already know from previous posts but I need some poker cash :)

You can get paint that's exactly for this but all you need is a gloss/eggshell type paint. When you paint over it with the emulsion it will take longer to dry than the surrounding area and look odd to start but it dries perfectly in the end. The next coats of emulsion will dry quicker.

Back