Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Painting my dish

janner

Inactive User
Apologies if this is the wrong thread.

I'm considering painting my dish to disguise it a bit. It's at shoulder height in my small backyard and looks a bit out of place !! Also the fittings look pretty horrible.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to the best type of paint to use or other low suss tips ??

Thanks in advance :)

I have seen a few 'painted' dishes (one had been done with Sandtex!!) with no noticeable affect on signal. They (whoever 'they' are) advise not to use metallic paint, and my advice would be to use a paint that repels water, so that rain droplets don't accumulate.

not sure who, but quite some time ago someone advised to use matt, not gloss, car spray paint... i found lada white to be good match for magnolia walls ;-)

Last edited:
not sure who, but quite some time ago someone advised to use mat, not gloss, car spray paint... i found lada white to be good match for magnolia walls ;-)

Between the 2, gloss + matt = silk seems the one several companies have settled for, for metal dishes, one line of thought is if it's too shiny it reflects the sun into the lnb too much and if it's matt water stays on the dish face longer instead of running off as trevortron has pointed to, some coatings do go matt after a few years too.

I notice the newer Hughes lottery dishes are now really shiny and if you look at Channel Masters they have a pitted face.

Whatever you use, keep it thin & smooth.

not sure who, but quite some time ago someone advised to use matt, not gloss, car spray paint... i found lada white to be good match for magnolia walls ;-)

Time you got rid of that old 1975 Lada mate, you looked like Big ears in his car when you stopped off last year lol
Felt sorry for the mrs in the back.

images

I would not use CAR spray as its not that whether proof as normal paint and it can peel of after some time. I would use some matt color due to not shining..

I would not use CAR spray as its not that whether proof as normal paint and it can peel of after some time. I would use some matt color due to not shining..

ANY paint will peel if the surface isn't prepared properly, so car paint won't peel if the dish is sanded lightly prior to painting. A silk finish would seem to make sense, but since when was the sun an issue in the UK LOL! We get a lot of it here, decent LNB's don't seem to mind, but inferior one do tend to lose their plastic caps after a couple of years, which of course only becomes apparent either when it rains or if a spider sets up home in that cosy little waveguide :)

you will have to post a picture when you get your dish painted would make an interesting post @)

i remember years ago, there was a trend going round. artistic guys were painting bricks on etc to disguise dishes. smileys were popular too. i think i even seen a dish painted as a bin lid. this was when there were very few dishes up in the early days.

Back