Pace 4001n Mute Error on all cards??

gilb

New Member ++
Reaction score
Mornin Planet DW,

Hope all r well,

Just need 2 pick some 1's brain about a little problem i'm having with a pace 4001n (Box from Hell!)

It all fires up A OK, shows all free 2 air, but no matter wot card i pop in it gives me the error on screen. (I know BK and IRD are Spot on)

Within engineers menu (Which i often use to id what Rom version MOSC cards are) it shows as Mute error on every card i try,

normally on pace boxes on the page wich gives smart card status it will show credit limit 4 the card in the box and this changes as u change the card, But on this box it dosn't?

N e ideas will be greatly appricated...

Thanks DW Gang...

G!LB...

It's usually caused by a power rail being pulled down by a faulty (short or low resistance) surface mount capacitor on the underside of the board.

Could be a damaged smartcard socket either.

Try a search for "Mute Err" on here, there has been lots of threads on the subject.

it was the card reader with me one of the metal contacts was bent over.i know with these boxes you sometimes have a 2 card sockets one on top of the other.if your careful you can split them and replace the bottom one with the top one and the box will still work ok. this is what i down and its been fine ever since but as another member has said do a search on this and youll find out more.

this is probably the reader, when the 12 volt rail is faulty you usually have other problems. but not always lol

steveob1 said:
it was the card reader with me one of the metal contacts was bent over.i know with these boxes you sometimes have a 2 card sockets one on top of the other.if your careful you can split them and replace the bottom one with the top one and the box will still work ok. this is what i down and its been fine ever since but as another member has said do a search on this and youll find out more.

Any chance of providing more details on how you did this?
Not splitting the readers, but how you went about refitting it.

Regards.......Chookey

thats easy lol - i changed a simm socket twice at the weekend lmao.

you want difficult try that on for size lololol

remove the plastic from the simm socket until you only have the metal fittings, now using a mini blow torch heat the metal pins and then tap the circuit board and they fall out. the lightly heat the solder points and again a brisk tap of the board and the solder drops out. actually only take a bit of care and about 15 minutes for the whole proceedure lol.

same sorta thing when removing a card read chould make fitting the donour reader easy lol.

of course getting the donor parts out was end the end of the donor boards life cos so much heat is required the board rarely survives.

twobeercans.

i assume that was sorta what you wanted to know lol

chookey said:
Any chance of providing more details on how you did this?
Not splitting the readers, but how you went about refitting it.

Regards.......Chookey
not quite sure what you mean but once you've unsoldered the cardreader from the board you then unsolder the circuit board from the top of the reader then unpiggy bank the reader from the bottom one and just resolder it back on to the board.hope this helps

TWOBEERCANS said:
thats easy lol - i changed a simm socket twice at the weekend lmao.

you want difficult try that on for size lololol

remove the plastic from the simm socket until you only have the metal fittings, now using a mini blow torch heat the metal pins and then tap the circuit board and they fall out. the lightly heat the solder points and again a brisk tap of the board and the solder drops out. actually only take a bit of care and about 15 minutes for the whole proceedure lol.

same sorta thing when removing a card read chould make fitting the donour reader easy lol.

of course getting the donor parts out was end the end of the donor boards life cos so much heat is required the board rarely survives.

twobeercans.

i assume that was sorta what you wanted to know lol
Well actually I was asking for gilbys' benefit as there seems to be a little more to it than just replacing the bottom reader with the top one.
Obviously the lower pcb has to be removed from the upper reader before refitting it to the main board. Is the top pcb of the reader redundant in the 4001? as this cannot be replaced after removing the previous panel.

Congrats on replacing the simm socket smartass. LOL.
I scrapped one because I couldn't get it off months ago.

Regards.....Chookey

yes remove top pcb and turn the reader over so the fittings fit to the stb board. throw away the upper pcb cos it isn't needed.

@chookey - after changing the simm socket the fookin thing had no video only in eng menu. i also changed the video ram and the fookin atties lmoa. its heading to the scrap box now i've had enough of that fookin thing lol

chookey said:
Well actually I was asking for gilbys' benefit as there seems to be a little more to it than just replacing the bottom reader with the top one.
Obviously the lower pcb has to be removed from the upper reader before refitting it to the main board. Is the top pcb of the reader redundant in the 4001? as this cannot be replaced after removing the previous panel.

Congrats on replacing the simm socket smartass. LOL.
I scrapped one because I couldn't get it off months ago.

Regards.....Chookey
yep throw it away and just use the top reader with no pcb attached

ok already answered by twobeercans who answered the question while i was righting the reply.lol i have to learn to type quicker this one finger typing is just too slooooooowwwwww

Gotcha. I haven't any problem stbs' at the mo but was killing time b4 work so I removed the cardreader from a scrap board. Thanks steveob1 and tbc for your answers. In this cardreader this panel would have to be removed as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Dudes

Thanks all 4 the Help, ill give the swop over of the 2 readers a go 2moro.

On another quick note some 1 gave me an old DI4000 the menu system is purple so i guess its running old firmware etc. (Also just tried for the 1st time a net id Fun which i got working 2 my delight)

I have modded the talk back but i get a flashing green light where the remote light is? Am i gona get a knock @ my door (also when i press the on demand key it goes into a menu but has nothing availbable?)

Just thought id put this 1 to you cleaver chaps b 4 i nip out..

NE Help is always GREATLY Appricated

G!LB

dont know anything about this type of box but im using a sammy box and i have a flashing green light and also get the message you said when pressing on demand and it does mean (on my box) that talk back is cut.can only guess its the same for you m8

Back