Outlook 2010

telsave

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hi hope some help is available form those who know things :)

I recently had to format my HDD I backed up my emails using the Export extension in Outlook 2010 to another drive creating a data.pst file. Before I did this I saved all my open inbox incoming and sent emails into folders so that they too would be backed up, having experienced before that the Outlook programme does not back up open messages only those in folders. When I restored the backup using the Outlook import a pst file unfortunately it did not contain any of my sent messages from my data.

I have contacted my hosting company to see if they could help as the inbound messages are retained on their server. Using Squirrel webmail I uncovered most of my inbound messages but no sent messages.

The hosting company have now sent me an email as below:

"Hi David,

I understand you are trying to get your data out of Microsoft Outlook. I must admit that I am not very familiar wiut the new versions of Outlook, but you should be able to select all of your sent messages at once from their mailbox and then use the forward function to send them all back to yourself. Once sent, you can then log into your mail account with an IMAP email client and filter them into a new folder/archive."

Unfortunately, those that know me, is like speaking chinese to me.

My query is how do I access the Outlook Mailbox to try to recapture the sent messages and then how do I carry out the second part of the message.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

regards

Sorry just edited my post as I have re-read you original message and it is IMAP, so all messages might still be available.
The best way to check this is use your webmail url that the hoster provides you with to login online and then check your mail sent items box. If you can see them via webmail then they are there on the server to be downloaded.
It would have been a lot easire if you had just located the data file PST, made sure you had outlook closed and made a copy to pen stick or external drive, then just copy it back when you have done a full restore of your computer software. Yes I know it's too late in the date to tell you this as you have already done something else.

Sorry just edited my post as I have re-read you original message and it is IMAP, so all messages might still be available.
The best way to check this is use your webmail url that the hoster provides you with to login online and then check your mail sent items box. If you can see them via webmail then they are there on the server to be downloaded.
It would have been a lot easire if you had just located the data file PST, made sure you had outlook closed and made a copy to pen stick or external drive, then just copy it back when you have done a full restore of your computer software. Yes I know it's too late in the date to tell you this as you have already done something else.

Hi Rapha

Thanks for trying to help, I have looked at sent mail on the hosting server and it is empty. Cannot understand that as I have everything set to remain on server for 30 days unless I delete message. But Hey Ho looks like they have all gone into the graveyard in cyberspace. When someone mails me regarding a message I have sent to them I will just have to blag it.

Again thanks for taking time out to try to help.

A lesson learnt.

regards

Back