outlook 2003 problem

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi there

can anybody point me in the right direction with this one,

i use outlook 2003 for e-mail and i dont normally have open all the time, what i have found recently i close down outlook and then sometime later click the icon and nowt happens and when i check task manager there is a process outlook.exe running in processes but nothing running in apps or on the screen.

i have checked a bit more and found intermittantly when i close down the process is not shutdown but the app is, so when i click to open again another process is started but doesnt run correctly as it sees another process running. I get no error message just failure of app to start.
Also i can close/kill the last process but it wont let me close the original non-closed app.

on my network i have another identical machine setup the same but uses the same pst file, (this was done so i could still get e-mails if Mrs was using main pc) this machine works perfectly, always closes outlook properly so app and process close down.

when the main pc is in the failed state ie process still running it still has the pst file locked (which is a bummer as i have to shut down the machine to release)

ive had a bit of a search on MS knowledge base but couldnt see anything if anybody has any ideas or urls that may help i would be grateful

cheers

This could be down to sharing the pst, outlook dosn't really like doing it. I'd try a clean pst stored on that machine and see if it still does it.

Lastest office updates if you haven't already.

@ Hejira thanks for the response, both machines have full updates of office 2003 and xp, sorry i didn explain the other machine scenario fully, they both use the same pst file but never at the same time.

the problem i am experiencing is on my main machine all on its own, i just said about the other machine so it was clear the problem is not the pst file.

i may have to dump office and re-install !! its just a ballache to do and set all the pop e-mail addys up again.

if i get a chance today ill have a look on technet

No worries m8, I'm sure I've had a simular problem with pst permissions issue n sharing even if not open at same time. Also using an old pst from a previous version of outlook with 2003.

Pain in the arse yes but reinstalling is the option I often take with things like this, Can take longer to find the answer than the install. lol

Big Smoothwall Fan here to!

@ Hejira i think i will reload, i did find 1 thing on technet but it looked a right fiddle and it did say maynot work.....probably about time i trimmed e-mails to pst file was getting a bit big, ill achive and start again.

it's good to hear of another smoothie fan :) ive been running about 2 years now and apart from the upgrade to ver 3.0 it just chuntered away in the corner doing its job, i like the new logs e-mail, msn etc and clamav in the new version.

i tried to get a bit of interst on here sometime ago but they all use software firewalls.......

pst's do have a file size limit, I've had this prob as well, people just don't want to get rid of emails even when they delete they don't want to perm delete from trash - lol

I'm due for an upgrade of smoothwall, I've only been having a play with a vm image of 3 at the mo, I've got 2 running on an old laptop which took a bit of work, but takes up no room and min power. Don't think 3 been out long enough for the modders to totally pull it apart yet! I would recommend Smoothwall to anyone, I learn't alot and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Back