ordered vu+ duo, and 800se (clone)

At least if you ordered from china then there is a good chance the IC chip and null modem lead will be in the box even if its version 2, Apparently its the UK dropshippers who are taking out the Chip and Null lead if the box has already been flashed.

At least you have a PC with a serial port hard to come by these days, As your probably aware the Duo gets Flashed via USB stick so the VU DUO secret chip update 120229 only needs doing once for any offcial image to work then its back in the box until the next Kernel comes along.

The 800se gets flashed via network cable and browser so again your covered, also in case of a Bad flash you will notice the mini usb service port on the back of the 800se only needed incase of CA error.

Good luck with your receivers plenty to play with when they arrive, and just think all for the grand total sum of 1 official VU Duo

yeah i actually have 2 pc's sitting in my downstairs cupboard tucked away solely for the purpose of the com port, there old battered things but there little work horses, lol, and yeah i will be fine with the flashing of both boxes really.. its just when i see these secret updates and crap i know nothing about, makes me do threads like these, but its good info all the same that i can look back on if i need to know anything so all the replies are really appreciated, just the waiting game now...

aye cant go wrong with the prices like, think i paid £339 all in with £50 of that delivery and £10 paypal fees so like you say price of 1 official vu duo, cant wait ;)

Im using the BlackHole 1.6.6 there is a newer BlackHole image on the site from the sticker on the box but I couldnt get it to unzip so flashed it with the slightly older one. I would recomend the BlacHole, Im over the moon with my vu and the image. You might have to take the front to bits and straighten the display as the few ive ordered were all bent not to hard to put right tho.

This is exacly the same for me... the zip file errored when trying to unzip so went with the 1.6.6 and same with my display needed to be straightened.

blackhole 1.7.2 is that the 1 that was corrupting, as iv just tried to extract that and it done the same, gunna grab it from somewhere else rather than using an older image!

blackhole 1.7.2 is that the 1 that was corrupting, as iv just tried to extract that and it done the same, gunna grab it from somewhere else rather than using an older image!

Thats the one mate. Think I just went with the older image cos i was excited and just wanted to get it up and running lol
But it is a good image none of the less. Just reading about you mentioning the flash update. I used the one off that site with the kit that came with the box and it is a piece of p*ss mate! Really easy so nothing to worry about there.

Thats the one mate. Think I just went with the older image cos i was excited and just wanted to get it up and running lol
But it is a good image none of the less. Just reading about you mentioning the flash update. I used the one off that site with the kit that came with the box and it is a piece of p*ss mate! Really easy so nothing to worry about there.
thanks mate, is it just a case of chucking the files on a fat32 flash drive switching it off and back on to update the kernal as im still abit unsure how its done!

Happy to email you the pdf i've got but if you just unzip the download of the chip update there is pdf in there which gives you a step by step guide with diagrams. You do it all from your pc/laptop so not through a usb.

Happy to email you the pdf i've got but if you just unzip the download of the chip update there is pdf in there which gives you a step by step guide with diagrams. You do it all from your pc/laptop so not through a usb.
arrr if theres a pdf in the file itself mate then ill have it so no worries, thanks for the offer though, ill go and have a look now!

EDIT: yeah just extracted and its there so i think im almost sorted, but if any kind sole could send a link to the latest blackhole image id be very greatful!!!

Last edited:
thinking of getting myself a duo clone. worth a punt?

just got both of mine today, just finished setting the vu up and gotta say after owning an original, cant tell any difference, well once i straightened the lcd screen up, lol, which i think a few people have had to do.. chucked blackhole 1.7.2 on and ts panel and away i was, hard drive sorted and recorded no problem, both tuners fine, running spot on.. mine had already been updated to the latest 2.0 kernel so all was good, and i got the serial lead and ic chip for future updates of the kernel too, someone said some people havnt been getting these included.. i would say iv you have use for a twin tuner box then go for it bud.. if not go for the 800se, which iv also set up today and all went with ease on that aswell, overall both seem very well built and work very well, go for it!

and thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread and helped me get the files i needed, really appreciated guys!

thanks for feedback mate, id be needing a twin tuner too, think ill get one ordered pretty soon.

Is there a way to see what kernel is on the box ?.
mine had a sticker on the back of the vu itself saying v2.0 so i knew it had been updated to the latest, but i would guess it will be in the menu then into information, it tells you what image and things is on.. ill have a look 2moro when i get up as im in bed now!

Did you get hit for any customs charges m8 ?
yeah i did mate, was only £7.28 i think, that was for both boxes so cant complain as i was thinking it would be more, i just paid it online then went and picked them up from the depot rather than waiting for them to release them and redeliver the next day, couldn't wait that long lol!

yeah i did mate, was only £7.28 i think, that was for both boxes so cant complain as i was thinking it would be more, i just paid it online then went and picked them up from the depot rather than waiting for them to release them and redeliver the next day, couldn't wait that long lol!

That was very reasonable ,handy.
Enjoy the receivers.

Back