OpenVPN on the Dreambox

Hejira

Inactive User
Reaction score
Been playing with OpenVPN for a work project n my interest was peeked by the DarkStar Images that had OpenVPN as part of them. Found very little info n wondered if my notes would be of interest to others?

View attachment 54139

tbh, i'm suprised more people aren't using VPN tunnels on dreambox for CS security although I think a protocol like OpenVPN is probably a little on the heavy side for the level of security needed for CS. I'd tend to go with one of the lighter protocols that require less processing power.

Note that running something like OpenVPN on a CS server really doesn't help that much with CS security. The datastreams are encrypted (they already were anyway with CCcam etc) but the clients are still connecting to the same place and are still behaving the same. For CS security the clients really need to be connecting via a VPN proxy. These proxies would tend to run the older PPTP protocol (at least the cheaper ones would).

I think a protocol like OpenVPN is probably a little on the heavy side for the level of security needed for CS.
I would agree, It was only the fact that the Darkstar Image had it built in that made me have a play with CS in mind, I was concerned that using the keys in the image defeated the object of the exersise n went a little further. The Dream was a good way to test my configs n keys from the PC. I didn't feel it was that difficult to get up n running either. Just wanted to share my thoughts

Note that running something like OpenVPN on a CS server really doesn't help that much with CS security. The datastreams are encrypted (they already were anyway with CCcam etc) but the clients are still connecting to the same place and are still behaving the same. For CS security the clients really need to be connecting via a VPN proxy. These proxies would tend to run the older PPTP protocol (at least the cheaper ones would).
That might be a bit further than my current scope, but I'd be interested how u would set that up.

CCcam may be encrypted but the username and password are not.

PPTP is insecure

Open VPN provides a secure point to point encryption.

Back